Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Single Game DreamSNES discs only $15!

Post by Calavera »

I found this kind of hilarious
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-Of-Zeld ... 0008.m2219

The description states ***This game is played using the SNES Dreamcast Emu, this game plays slightly slower than the standard 60fps, but still plays great and is really enjoyable***

First of all that CD cover looks really shitty. For $15 he couldn't even print out a decent cover? He used some kind of shitty perforated CD cover paper. But the main thing is that is uses DreamSNES. I remember DreamSNES and I remember never actually using it because it was so slow. I played a lot of NES and Genesis on my Dreamcast but never SNES. I don't recall ever finding a game that worked decent on DreamSNES. Anyway this guy is charging $15 for a fanmade overhaul of Link to the Past. I remember DreamSNES not even being able to run Super Mario World at fullspeed so I doubt it would run Link to the Past very well.

He does say it runs slightly slower than the standard 60fps. What does he consider slightly? I'd imagine it probably averages 40fps or less and that the audio would be choppy. He has actually sold 4 of these. $60 for 4 blank CD-Rs in a slim case with a cheap cover and label.

Looking at his other items it looks like he is selling some other dodgy items

Wolfenstein 3D for Dreamcast
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolfenstein-3D ... 0752.m1982

Burnt versions of Symphony of the Night for Saturn for $20! And he has sold 11 of them! How?!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castlevania-Se ... 0008.m2219

Shenmue II "Special 4-disc English Edition" for Dreamcast. Selling for.......$60!!!! 2 sold!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shenmue-II-2-S ... 0008.m2219

A nice little bit of info from the description
Game is in full English and has full English speech. The English speech can be sketchy and sound garbled at some points, but is good overall.
I tried that version on NullDC before, it sounds terrible. There does exist a pretty good english version but the CD images are over 1gb in size so they can't be burnt to 99min CD-Rs.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Re: Single Game DreamSNES discs only $15!

Post by Matisfaction »

DreamSNES! That's going back a bit. Hope he didn't use pike!!

This reminds me of those Hyper Final Fight covers that I made on DCEmu and some dude was selling the game plus art work on eBay and it went for £80.00

Amazingly they still exist on the interwebs..

I can't get no...

darc
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by darc »

I'm in a lot of Dreamcast groups and people sell this shit like crazy and most of the communities don't anything about it like we did back in the day at DCEmu. Tons of people burn this shit and make fancy cases and make bank from other people who don't want to take the time to figure out how to burn anything.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

darc wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 am I'm in a lot of Dreamcast groups and people sell this shit like crazy and most of the communities don't anything about it like we did back in the day at DCEmu. Tons of people burn this shit and make fancy cases and make bank from other people who don't want to take the time to figure out how to burn anything.
The one I really don't get is the copies of Symphony of the Night for Saturn. With the Dreamcast anybody can burn a CD-R and it will work in the console due to the lack of copy protection but that isn't the case with the Saturn. It even states in the auction that you need a modded Saturn. If you have a modded Saturn you are probably fairly knowledgeable about downloading and burning games. So why would you pay $20 to someone to have them burn the game for you?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Calavera wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:43 pm
darc wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 am I'm in a lot of Dreamcast groups and people sell this shit like crazy and most of the communities don't anything about it like we did back in the day at DCEmu. Tons of people burn this shit and make fancy cases and make bank from other people who don't want to take the time to figure out how to burn anything.
The one I really don't get is the copies of Symphony of the Night for Saturn. With the Dreamcast anybody can burn a CD-R and it will work in the console due to the lack of copy protection but that isn't the case with the Saturn. It even states in the auction that you need a modded Saturn. If you have a modded Saturn you are probably fairly knowledgeable about downloading and burning games. So why would you pay $20 to someone to have them burn the game for you?
Maybe it's someone who knows how to do the swap disc method but not how to burn games? :olol:

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:54 pm
Maybe it's someone who knows how to do the swap disc method but not how to burn games? :olol:
That would be quite an odd person! :olol:

darc
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by darc »

I haven't seen that before but I agree, that's pretty nuts.

Another crazy thing I've seen is people who burn every single DC game, put them into cases with printed artwork etc. so they can have a beautiful "full set" of DC games on their shelf, but they're really all counterfeit. What's the point, especially considering so many of these DC games have downsampled or missing audio/video...

For all the effort and money they could have just bought one of the GD-ROM drive replacement mods and load a full set of games from SD card or USB instead, in one contained system, with nothing removed or downsampled...

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Same with the repro carts, most go for around £40-50 for one game, when you can just buy a flash cart for around the same price. 🤔

There's also a chance of damaging your system (something to do with the voltage), I think that even the DC had an issue with CDs didn't it? You had to add dummy files to fill up the CD so that the GDR drive didn't burn out?
I can't get no...

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Matisfaction wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 am Same with the repro carts, most go for around £40-50 for one game, when you can just buy a flash cart for around the same price. 🤔

There's also a chance of damaging your system (something to do with the voltage), I think that even the DC had an issue with CDs didn't it? You had to add dummy files to fill up the CD so that the GDR drive didn't burn out?
I had a Sega Saturn that I used tons of burnt games on and booted them by doing the swap method. The drive on that unit stopped working and this was back around 2006-2007 so it wasn't all that old yet.