I'm a spambot and I need to be loved
Just like every spambot does

Moderators: szchinagoshop, The Smiths

Forum rules
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: I just recieved 3 free computers from Facebook Marketplace

Post by Big Boss Man » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 am

I'm not sure if anybody is that interested in reading my adventures in old computing
Have you thought about making YouTube videos about restoring old computers/retro tech?. I find videos like that interesting like what LGR , 8bitguy and RMC do.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:42 pm

NO. He shouldn't do youtube.

There's 4 million youtubberes....

FUCK YOUTUBE!!! I'd take a 50 word tech report over a 30 minute youtube video...
If someone did BOTH, that'd be GREAT, but no one does both...
The English language had deteriorated into a hybrid of hillbilly, valleygirl, inner-city slang and various grunts. Joe was able to understand them, but when he spoke in an ordinary voice he sounded pompous and faggy to them.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:52 pm

melancholy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:43 pm
Are those drivers overclocking the card or something? That doesn’t make sense that a driver would have that much of a performance increase.
Nope, I've checked the clocks and they are at stock settings. I agree though it makes no sense why a driver would give that much of a performance increase. I was really surprised when the 8783 result came up after installing that driver. I used custom drivers back in the day for ATI but I don't recall ever hearing of Warcat. I mainly remember Omega drivers. The only thing I could think of is that this driver enables options with the AGP slot that aren't enabled in the stock drivers. CCC has a screen for this, things like AGP Fast Write and Slot speed. I don't remember all the options but maybe something in there is enabled by default that otherwise wouldn't be. The slot has always been at 4X though so I know it isn't that. I also tried out 3DMark03 and it ran very well. Got a 7460 in 03. After that I tried running 3Dmark05 but when I tried to install it alerted me that it requires a CPU with SSE instructions which the Thunderbird does not have. Here are the results from 3DMark03
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big Boss Man wrote: Have you thought about making YouTube videos about restoring old computers/retro tech?. I find videos like that interesting like what LGR , 8bitguy and RMC do.
I've thought about doing Youtube videos on old technology. First thing is my videos wouldn't have anywhere near the production quality of 8-bit guy or LGR. I'm not sure if me just screwing around with an old PC would be interesting enough. I suppose if I had filmed all my experiences with this machine from the beginning it might be somewhat interesting to a few people.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now one more update about the Thunderbird. Originally when I first started messing around with this PC I used a IDE to SD converter and was using a 32GB MicroSD card as the primary hard drive. That worked OK but things were running really slow. Using any kind of web browser would slow the system to a crawl. Installing programs would take forever and the OS in general was really laggy. I knew the SD card was causing these problems because a 1ghz CPU is more than capable of running XP. I kept it in for awhile because I didn't think I had any working IDE drives laying around. Then I remembered I have a 250GB IDE drive that I could use. I formatted it and installed XP again and it was like putting a supercharger in it! Everything ran much smoother and faster. Web browsing is now possible, even youtube! Although you must run the videos at 144p for them to be watchable, otherwise they stutter and are too slow.

There was one more HUGE benefit from reinstalling XP on an IDE drive. On the previous install on the SD card I could not get my Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro joystick to work correctly. It was recognized and worked fine except there was no force feedback. Which was obviously the #1 reason I wanted to use it. So I hooked it up on this new install and it was recognized just fine. So I loaded up Midtown Madness and....YES! The force feedback is now working! After that I loaded up one of my favorite games of all time, Mafia. I don't think I even knew it had FFB support until today. When looking at the controls I saw there were sliders to adjust the FFB intensity. So I cranked them all the way up and tried it out. The FFB worked great! It was way to much force with it turned up all the way but it was fun messing around with it like that. Shooting is the best with it as it reacts to every bullet you fire. I took a quick video showing the FFB on my phone but haven't uploaded it yet. It is very crappy as it was hard to film with one hand and I was too close to the computer to show the stick and the display in the same shot. Overall I am very happy to get the Sidewinder working again. It has probably been close to 20 years since I last used one.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:28 pm

I have several motherboards and CPUs out in my pole barn. I decided to throw one into a case. The board I'm using is a MSI K9MM-V AM2 with a Sempron 3000+. I really don't remember ever buying it. The board is one my Newegg order history from December 2007. I think it may have been a build for a family member. It has two important features, an AGP 8X slot and a on-board game port. It also has two SATA ports so I can use an extra SATA drive I have and not have to lose my XP install I have on the T-bird. I'm gonna try the X1650 with this motherboard to see how it performs with an 8X slot vs 4X, DDR2 800 RAM vs DDR 133 and of course a faster processor.

However this board wasn't my first choice. I also found a K7S41GX motherboard which is a Socket 462/A just like the original PC and is compatible with the 1gz Thunderbird. It also has an AGP 8X slot,on-board gameport and also supports faster ram. I figured it would be a much better board then whatever stock 2000-2001 model came with the PC. Probably even overkill for something like a 1ghz Thunderbird considering it supports all the way up to an Athlong XP 3200+. The stock board only supports up to a 1.4ghz Athlon.

At first I could not even get it to power on, I thought it might have been the power supply I was using which was a low wattage Dell PSU. Upon removing the heatsink I noticed that the Athlon XP 2000+ that was in it had a chip out the the CPU! I have no idea how this could have happened. Anyways I first put a Duron 850 that I had laying around in it and it powered up but displayed no picture. I looked up the board and found the oldest Duron it claims to support is a Duron 900. So close! It does support the 1ghz Thunderbird CPU that was in the original PC so I tried that and got the same results. So I gave up and put the 1ghz back in the original PC and started on the Sempron 3000+ build. I am currently installing Windows XP on it. I had to borrow the DVD drive from the original computer to install Windows XP, but I didn't even have it hooked up anymore. Installing XP is the only reason I need to use a CD drive since as far as I know there is no easy way to install XP from USB. After that anything I want on it is just copied through the network. Even if it is a game I actually own like Midtown Madness I'd still just rather download a rip version and be able to just double click it and play and not have to mess with getting a no-cd crack and whatnot.