Celebrity Death Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Celebrity Death Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

US singer Christina Grimmie dies after being shot outside Florida concert

Former contestant on The Voice was targeted by a gunman who opened fire on her and then killed himself

A gunman opened fire at a Florida concert venue as singer Christina Grimmie signed autographs for fans after a show, killing the onetime star of The Voice before shooting and killing himself, officials said Saturday.

A publicist for Grimmie, Heather Walsh, said in an email early on Saturday that “we can confirm that Christina has passed and went home to be with the Lord”. The Orlando police department also confirmed on its official Twitter page that Grimmie had died.

Police said that the 22-year-old singer had performed with the band Before You Exit at The Plaza Live in Orlando. The concert ended around 10pm, and Grimmie was shot as she signed autographs for fans at a merchandise table.

Grimmie’s brother immediately tackled the gunman, who then shot and killed himself during the struggle, police said.

The gunman was not identified, and police have not said why he attacked the singer. An investigation is ongoing, but police credited the singer’s brother with preventing the gunman from hurting others.

Grimmie, who was born in New Jersey, finished third during season six of the US series of The Voice, competing on the team of Maroon 5 star Adam Levine.

She began amassing a following on YouTube as a teenager, gripping online viewers with her powerful renditions of hit songs. Several of her videos on YouTube have garnered millions of views.

When reports of Grimmie’s death first surfaced, #PrayforChristina was the top trending hashtag on Twitter. After her death was confirmed, #RIPChristina became the top trending hashtag as Grimmie’s fans took to social media to express an outpouring of grief.

The Voice paid tribute to Grimmie on its official Twitter page: “There are no words. We lost a beautiful soul with an amazing voice.”

Grimmie had posted a video of herself shortly before the concert was scheduled to begin, encouraging fans to come see her perform.

Levine posted a photo of himself with Grimmie on Instagram, commenting before her death was confirmed: “I’m sad, shocked and confused. We love you so much Grimmie. We are all praying hard that you can pull through this ... this just isn’t fair.”

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported in 2014 that Grimmie moved to Los Angeles in 2012 after joining Selena Gomez on tour to focus on her singing career.

“I’m done being surprised by cool things she does. She’s very talented and she’s worked incredibly hard it’s a dangerous combination,” her brother, Mark Grimmie, told the newspaper at the time.

Source: The Guardian

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

A woman who went to the show said they had no metal detectors and they were checking purses but not patting people down. So that venue will be sued by her family for sure.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Attrell 'Prince Be' Cordes, P.M. Dawn Rapper, Dead at 46

"Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" rapper succumbs to long battle with diabetes

Attrel "Prince Be" Cordes, founding member of the chart-topping hip-hop duo P.M. Dawn, died Friday in a New Jersey hospital following a battle with renal kidney disease. He was 46. A representative for the group confirmed Cordes' death to People.

"Prince Be Rest In Peace forever more, Pain from Diabetes can't harm you anymore," Cordes' cousin and P.M. Dawn member Doc G wrote on the group's Facebook page following Cordes' death. "My Heart is at Peace B-Cuz U suffered so long, Tell Grandma I said Hi & Stay Blisstatic & Strong."

Formed by brothers Attrel and Jarrett "DJ Minutemix" Cordes in their native Jersey City, New Jersey in 1988, P.M. Dawn became only the third hip-hop act ever – and first black rappers – to top the Billboard Hot 100 in 1991 with their single "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss," which revolved around a sample of Spandau Ballet's "True." The band's critically acclaimed 1991 debut LP, Of the Heart, of the Soul and of the Cross: The Utopian Experience, achieved gold status, as did its well-received follow-up, 1993's The Bliss Album…?<?i>.

P.M. Dawn once again climbed to the upper reaches of the Hot 100 again – Number Three – with their ballad "I'd Die Without You," which gained popularity after first appearing on the 1992 soundtrack for the Eddie Murphy film Boomerang. The track later featured on The Bliss Album…? alongside "Looking Through Patient Eyes," another Top 10 hit and a cover of the Beatles' "Norwegian Wood (The Bird Has Flown)."

The Cordes brothers released two more albums in the Nineties, 1995's Jesus Wept and 1998's Dearest Christian, I'm So Very Sorry for Bringing You Here. Love, Dad, neither of which attained the critical or commercial success of its predecessors. Although health problems stemming from diabetes took its toll on Prince Be – he suffered a stroke in 2005 that paralyzed the left side of his body, and his one of his legs was amputated below the kneecap – but P.M. Dawn continued to have a considerable impact on contemporary hip-hop, including its "cloud rap" offshoot.

"Kanye West, T-Pain, Outkast... but you can't mention P.M. Dawn without mentioning De La Soul, and you can't mention Arrested Development without mentioning P.M. Dawn," Doc G said in a 2011 interview of the artists P.M. Dawn inspired. "Everybody begets somebody. We had the weirdness. Now it's okay to be weird; it's okay to wear bizarre things."

Source: Rolling Stone

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

That sucks, he was so talented. Rolling Stone called him the black Brian Wilson once and I agree.

Jesus Wept was their masterpiece and almost nobody heard it because they ditched rap and went to straight psychedelic R&B and nobody knew how to react. But they were so ahead of their time both R&B and hip hop were just like them in the 2000s. But he was too bad off to capitalize on it. I don't even think their first album was that great, but the other ones were and should have been huge (Bliss Album was, the other three bombed.)

He made an album called The Jim Sullivan Syndrome, which is like the Smile of its time because it was great and got scrapped in 2002 because their label hated it and only bits and pieces made it out on the internet. It sounds like what D'Angelo was going for, so it's a shame it never came out. Maybe it will now.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

'STAR TREK' STAR ANTON YELCHIN DEAD AFTER FREAK ACCIDENT
Actor Anton Yelchin, known for his roles in "Star Trek" and "Alpha Dog," was killed early Sunday morning after getting pinned by his own car ... TMZ has learned.
Yelchin's friends became alarmed because he was supposed to meet them hours earlier for a rehearsal. They went to his San Fernando Valley home at around 1 AM and found him pinned between his car and a brick mailbox, which was attached to a security gate.
Law enforcement tells us the engine was running when his body was discovered, and the car was in neutral. The driveway was on a fairly steep incline. It's unclear why he got out of the car.
Cops do not suspect foul play.
Yelchin was 27.
RIP

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Neighbours actress Vivean Gray dies aged 92

Vivean Gray, the UK actress best known for her nosy neighbour roles in The Sullivans and Neighbours, has died aged 92.

Gray famously played Mrs Jessup on The Sullivans in the mid 1970s followed by her role as Mrs Mangel on Neighbours a decade later.

The TV star also appeared on other dramas including Power Without Glory, Homicide, Division 4, Prisoner, All the Rivers Run and Anzacs.

She also appeared in films such as Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Last Wave.

Network Ten’s Head of Drama Rick Maier said Gray will be mourned by the entire Neighbours family.

“Mrs. Mangel and Mrs. Jessup were two of our most iconic characters from one our very best character actors. Ramsay Street changed forever, and certainly no secret was ever safe, with Mrs. Mangel on the lookout. Vivean’s contribution to Australian drama will never be forgotten. It is a very sad day for the Neighbours’ family,” Mr Maier said in a statement to television blog TV Tonight.

Source: 9news

I thought she died 20+ years ago. They should bury her with Bouncer.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

RIP Jerry Doyle, Babylon 5's Mr. Garibaldi

Jerry Doyle, best known for his role as Chief of Security Michael Garibaldi on Babylon 5, has passed away at the age of 60.

First reported by TMZ but now confirmed by Doyle’s family through his social media accounts, Doyle passed yesterday, his cause of death unknown. Doyle’s first break in acting came with a role in Moonlighting, before landing the part of Garibaldi in Bablyon 5: The Gathering in 1993. He would go one to reprise the role as the station’s security chief throughout the five seasons of the show’s run.

Following the end of Babylon 5, Doyle turned his talent towards radio broadcasting, hosting his own syndicated talk show, The Jerry Doyle Show, on the Talk Radio Network. Our thoughts go out to his family.

Source: io9

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Kenny Baker, the Actor Who Brought R2-D2 to Life, Passes Away

Remembering the fan-favorite actor who played one of the saga's most iconic characters.

Kenny Baker, a key part of the Star Wars saga as the actor who brought R2-D2 to life, has passed away. He was 81.

Standing 3 feet 8 inches tall, Baker created Artoo’s much-loved innocent yet adventurous personality from inside the droid, starting with 1977’s A New Hope. Whether it was the slow turn of Artoo’s dome to convey suspicion or nervous wobbles signifying fear, Baker made a robotic being seem very human. In addition, he played Paploo, the Ewok who memorably steals a speeder bike in 1983’s Return of the Jedi. The actor became a legend to Star Wars fans.

“Kenny Baker was a real gentleman as well as an incredible trooper who always worked hard under difficult circumstances,” said George Lucas. “A talented vaudevillian who could always make everybody laugh, Kenny was truly the heart and soul of R2-D2 and will be missed by all his fans and everyone who knew him.”

Born in Birmingham, England, Baker began acting at age 16. Along with the Star Wars films, his career also includes performances in The Elephant Man (1980), Time Bandits (1981), Lucasfilm’s Willow (1988), and more. In 1978, he immortalized Artoo at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, making cement footprints of the droid that remain outside the famed theater today.

“We’re all saddened to learn of Kenny’s passing,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “There is no Star Wars without R2-D2, and Kenny defined who R2-D2 was and is. He will be greatly missed.”

Source: Star Wars

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Ex-Aston Villa Player Dalian Atkinson Dies In Police Tasering

The 48-year-old former football star was hit by a stun gun after police were called to a property in Telford.

A man who died after he was shot by police with a Taser gun was ex-Aston Villa footballer Dalian Atkinson.

Officers were called to a home in Meadow Close, Telford, Shrophire in the early hours of this morning amid concerns "for the safety of an individual".

West Mercia Police said the 48-year-old man was given medical treatment after being hit by a stun gun but died around 90 minutes later.

An unnamed neighbour said: "I had known him since he was a little boy, he was a famous footballer at one time. He was friendly, he had no trouble that I know of."

An ambulance spokesman said while the man was being taken to Princess Royal Hospital his condition deteriorated and he suffered a cardiac arrest.

He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the medical facility

Atkinson's wonder goal against Wimbledon during a 3-2 win in the Premiership in October 1992 was named Match of the Day's goal of the season.

In 1994, the striker scored at Wembley as Villa beat Manchester United to lift the League Cup.

Atkinson started his career at Ipswich and then played for Sheffield Wednesday and Spanish side Real Sociedad before moving to Villa.

The police use of Tasers is intended as a non-lethal weapon.

The incident has now been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Police said in a statement: "West Mercia Police can confirm that officers responded to a report for the concern for the safety of an individual at approximately 1.30am this morning at an address in Telford.

"Upon arrival Taser was deployed and a 48-year-old man, who subsequently received medical attention, was pronounced dead at approximately 3am.

"West Mercia Police are unable to comment any further as the incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) as is normal procedure, and will assist the IPCC with their inquiries."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "We were called by West Mercia Police to an address in Meadow Close in the Trench area of Telford at about 1.45am this morning.

"An ambulance was dispatched and upon arrival found a man who had been Tasered.

"As he was being conveyed to Princess Royal Hospital, his condition deteriorated and he went into cardiac arrest.

"Despite the efforts of the crew and hospital staff, it was not possible to save him and he was confirmed dead at hospital, shortly after arrival."

There were 10,329 uses of Tasers by police forces in England and Wales in 2015 - a 2% increase compared with 2014.

Some 19% (1,921) were discharges - down 3% from the previous year.

Source: http://news.sky.com/story/ex-aston-vill ... g-10537438
Was real surprised to hear this news, he was one of the big stars of the Premiership in its early years. RIP Dalian Atkinson :(

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Gene Wilder, the actor best known for his iconic role as Willy Wonka in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, has died at the age of 83.

The actor died of complications from Alzheimer's disease Sunday night at his home in Stamford, Connecticut, his nephew, Jordan Walker-Pearlman, said in a statement.

"He was eighty-three and passed holding our hands with the same tenderness and love he exhibited as long as I can remember. As our hands clutched and he performed one last breath, the music speaker, which was set to random, began to blare out one of his favorites: Ella Fitzgerald. There is a picture of he and Ella meeting at a London Bistro some years ago that are among each or cherished possessions. She was singing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow,' as he was taken away."

The actor had lived with Alzheimer's for the last three years, his nephew added.

"The choice to keep this private was his choice, in talking with us and making a decision as a family. We understand for all the emotional and physical challenges this situation presented we have been among the lucky ones – this illness-pirate, unlike in so many cases, never stole his ability to recognize those that were closest to him, nor took command of his central-gentle-life affirming core personality. It took enough, but not that."

The statement continued: "The decision to wait until this time to disclose his condition wasn't vanity, but more so that the countless young children that would smile or call out to him 'there's Willy Wonka,' would not have to be then exposed to an adult referencing illness or trouble and causing delight to travel to worry, disappointment or confusion. He simply couldn't bear the idea of one less smile in the world."

Wilder had been diagnosed with lymphoma in 1997, but he told CNN in 2002 that he was in complete remission.

The actor was a frequent collaborator of Mel Brooks, and had starred in a string of iconic comedies including Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

He was also famously married to comedian Gilda Radner, a romance that would end in tragedy after she died of ovarian cancer at the age of 42 in 1989.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Big Boss Man wrote:
Was real surprised to hear this news, he was one of the big stars of the Premiership in its early years. RIP Dalian Atkinson :(
The finest moment of the man's career and who does he get to celebrate it with, an extra from the Sweeney with an umbrella...

I can't get no...

ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by ET's Gay Lover »

Gene Wilder will be sorely missed. I did appreciate his performance in Blazing Saddles.

Granted that Gene only has a sparse presence in these videos, I think that his performance in notable in each.
I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by ET's Gay Lover »

I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Matisfaction wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:
The finest moment of the man's career and who does he get to celebrate it with, an extra from the Sweeney with an umbrella...

Now he'd be worth millions and joining Real Madrid or PSG after scoring a great goal like that. Times have changed and football/soccer is a totally different game to what is used to be in terms of the money involved. The likes of Sky/BT etc hype it up to be more than it is too and when a game finished 0-0 it kinda makes all the razzmatazz a waste of time. I prefer BT Sports coverage. One thing I like about US sports (NBA/NFL etc) is the games go into overtime til there's a winner. But imagine a drab scoreless draw and having the fans sit there til somebody scores. :lol: I think most folks would walk out and leave.

Sad to hear about Gene Wilder. He was great in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the movies with Richard Pryor were great too. 'Stir Crazy' and 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' are two of my all time favorite movies. I have seen 'Blazing Saddles' but it years ago so will have to check that out again. RIP Gene :(

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

No more being yelled at for stealing Fizzy lifting drink and bumping into ceilings which now have to be washed and sterilized! :frown:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.