Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

News, politics, sports, personal topics, random crap etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:35 pm

You can build a kickass Windows ME machine with that RAM. Well, with a few sticks of it.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:35 pm
You can build a kickass Windows ME machine with that RAM. Well, with a few sticks of it.
I had ME installed on an old Compaq 500mhz Celeron. It was decent but honestly I much prefer using XP then Windows 98SE or ME. 98/ME is fine if you just want a PC to play older games and nothing more. 98/ME is too old to be able to use the internet at all. XP is still pretty much completely usable as a daily OS. You can still use a modern web browser to surf the ole information super highway just as well as a newer OS but it still has support for older hardware. Windows 98/ME is good for a stand alone gaming machine but if you want to do much else with it XP is the way to go and so far I haven't had any trouble running older games on XP. I'm sure there are a few games that only run good on original hardware on Windows 95/98/ME but so far I haven't come across any.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Found an extremely rare piece of vintage audio equipment today. I was very very surprised to see it there!

A Playtape machine! Model 1604. You might be thinking what the heck is a Playtape? Well I had never heard of them either until a couple years ago when Techmoan did a video on it.

I looked all over the store for any Playtapes but there didn't seem to be any. I'll have to get one and try it out. Here are a few more pictures of the unit. As you can see the inside looks very clean and the belt is even still in tact and functional! It makes me wonder if somebody had replaced it fairly recently as I would be very surprised if a belt from the late 1960s was functional around 50 years later!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:05 pm

No interest in Playtape? :(

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:05 pm

I've never heard of it. A bit too ancient for me.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 am

Sorry, I’ve never taken much interest in your audio equipment posts. It’s not my fandom.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 am

Doesn't mean you shouldn't post that stuff though, Cal.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:09 am

Calavera wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:05 pm
No interest in Playtape? :(
No interest in that at all, but you ARE like an American Techmoan!

I have to admit, I read your posts in a Yosemite Sam voice...
If I don't know what any given American sounds like, I automatically read their posts in that voice.
It works really well, and if you were to make retro youtube videos, or do a retro blog, I would follow with great interest.

When I say you're like an American techmoan... He can do the most mundane fucking thing in the whole world.. I mean he's done some seriously, SERIOUSLY tedious things that I've watched... And I watched all of them. I still read all of your posts with almost religious commitment, even if old audio is the most tedious fucking thing in existence...

Literally ANY old technology is more interesting than audio...
OH WOW... A CASSETTE OR 8 TRACK!!!! WHO THE FUCK CARES... SHOW ME AN OLD PRINTING PRESS, TV, ROOM SIZED COMPUTER, CAR, or ANYTHING other than audio devices that every human in the world has covered to death...

WE GET IT, HUMANS HAVE A LOT OF FUCKING WAYS OF RECORDING MUSIC!!!
The English language had deteriorated into a hybrid of hillbilly, valleygirl, inner-city slang and various grunts. Joe was able to understand them, but when he spoke in an ordinary voice he sounded pompous and faggy to them.