The MLB/Baseball topic

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: The MLB/Baseball topic

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:39 amWinning meaningful games after July
What's it like?

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:18 am
pixel wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:39 amWinning meaningful games after July
What's it like?
Uneasy :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:04 am
This is the first time I felt happy about baseball this week, thank you :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

At least you aren't an Orioles fan who has a team pretty much saying "Yeah, next season is going to suck too."

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 am At least you aren't an Orioles fan who has a team pretty much saying "Yeah, next season is going to suck too."
Time to jump on the Nats bandwagon?

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The Red Sox have traded Mookie Betts & David Price to the Dodgers so they can be under the Luxury Tax

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... -sox-trade

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

And the Twins actually did something in the offseason :) I'm glad the trade finally went through

I do know a good number of Red Sox fans that are depressed/pissed about losing Mookie though, that does suck. Does this mean that the Dodgers are going to storm the World Series with a post-Astros scandal fervor?

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

They've already got Bellinger, Turner et al and now adding Mookie Betts, plus David Price it makes the Dodgers very credible contenders.

But now the Yankees have added Gerrit Cole you can't really look beyond them either. So already its looking real interesting. I wouldn't say it's all about the Dodgers and Yankees already though. As you have to factor in going into the post season we could see a surprise team (or two) really step their game up and cause some upsets along the way. They are also talking about changing the playoffs too
three divisional champions and four wildcard teams in each league would make the playoffs

the division winner with the best overall record in each league would receive a bye to the best-of-five games divisional series

the wildcard round would change from a one-game knockout to a best-of-three-games series
the division winner with the second-best record in the league would get first choice of which wildcard team to face, and that team would host all three games

the division winner with the third-best record in the league would get the second choice of which team to face and also host all three games
the two wildcard teams that were not chosen would face each other, with the wildcard team with the best record hosting two of the three games

there would be a Sunday night playoff selection television show on the last night of baseball’s regular season where division winners would pick the teams they want to face
https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... e-the-game

Whether these changes will be agreed upon I'm not sure. I believe it's more so that MLB can generate more interest in the post season and give team(s) more opportunities to make it to the post season.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'd much prefer to get blasted by the Yankees over two wildcard games than just one.

But seriously, those changes seem good to me. The one-game wildcard round is dramatic, but it isn't necessarily the best option. Honestly, I'd be in favor of shaving off a few regular season games for more playoffs.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

A lot of casual sports fans only really pay attention during the Playoffs, or even the final(s). So placing more emphasis on the post season in some aspects does seem a smart move. Reducing the number of regular season games from 162 makes sense also. Especially going forward if MLB wants to appeal to a younger audience.

However, televised baseball still is sought after for TV networks and MLB signed a $5.1Bn deal til the 2028 season and I imagine if they decide to truncate the amount of games that would cause a knock on effect in regards to a smaller fee next time the TV rights come up for renewal. That is unless viewership goes up for a shorter regular season & a more deep post season with a longer route to the World Series via the playoffs.

Which also means there could be more opportunities for wildcard teams to be a factor and say there's an underdog team that fans in general begin to root for that could bring a big ratings TV boost. Ideally MLB need to make the race for the pennant as exciting as possible. If it's clear already it's going to be the Dodgers v Yankees World Series that's only really go to appeal to their fan bases.

So the unexpected nature of an extended playoffs format where there could be a wildcard team which can cause an upset could generate interest to see if they can make it to the World Series and potentially win it. But really until 2028 MLB doesn't really need to change much as they already have that multi billion dollar TV deal. Although live attendances are down & if that trend continues they'll need to make changes to modernise the game.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Big Boss Man wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:13 amAlthough live attendances are down & if that trend continues they'll need to make changes to modernise the game.
It helps that they've gotten rid of almost all of the dreaded mixed-use stadiums. Most MLB teams are benefiting from the smaller ballparks but should keep trying to innovate around ticket prices and seating. It's $50/month to see the Twins in standing room only sections, which is a good deal if you live close and can get to several games a month. Depending on the game, it's a few bucks more if you want a seat and you can grab one on your phone without any hassle.

Ease of access is also huge: It also helps that the Twins ballpark has its own tram station and ample parking next to an interstate while still being in walking distance of downtown. Then you have Atlanta that built their ballpark out in the bougie burbs, making it harder for average joes to catch a game.

That's how they'll keep getting butts in the stadium, being creative about the ticket process and adapting to how people want to watch the game. It's the other stuff too, like allowing outside food so you can bring snacks/lunch for the kiddos.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's interesting, thanks. For games which aren't guaranteed to attract much interest teams could give out free tickets in the local area to boost attendances. Very good point about bringing along food too as at live events that can be expensive. Ideally across the board MLB need to get together with the teams to make tickets affordable enough for everybodyand create a positive impression/experience for the fans so they keep going back.

Sticking to premium prices for tickets and having a half empty stadium is counter productive. If we look at the 2019 attendances

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2019

The Marlins averaged just over 10,000 and their ballpark holds 36,742 seated/37,442 standing. It's important to factor in a teams performance as that will cause a drop in attendance too but if tickets are affordable (or there are special offers, free tickets etc) then I think that any team with declining attendances can slowly build their averages up. Looking at the Dodgers they averaged just over 49,000 but again they have more star players and performed better.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Big Boss Man wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:45 amThe Marlins
They need to have scholars study the business acumen of that cursed franchise. Compared to places like Milwaukee, going to a baseball game in a tropical climate seems like a waste of time.
I'm actually shocked that Colorado has that good of attendance, especially ahead of Boston. And I'm not shocked that the AL Central starts in the middle of the pack, most of the division has been in a slump even with Kansas City winning the pennant.
Big Boss Man wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:45 am Ideally across the board MLB need to get together with the teams to make tickets affordable enough for everybody and create a positive impression/experience for the fans so they keep going back.
Exactly. I've been seeing more restaurants and clubs inside of ballparks here in the Midwest. The fans visiting for their one-off game per season will probably want to stick to their seats and catch the whole game. But say I had that $50/month package, now I've got a reason to go at least once a week to hang out.

And yes, they should definitely price tickets to the market demand. Barring a big collapse in talent, the Twins should be playing well this year and should do well on ticket sales with that fact alone. But they have been shitty the past 6-8 years, you can't expect to fill 39,000 seats for a crummy baseball club that plays in 50 degree weather.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The Marlins ballpark had its highest ever attendance in 2017 I believe for a US vs Dominican Republic baseball game so there is an audience there.

Teams like The Marlins really need MLB to step in and veto any trade(s) which take star players away. Giancarlo Stanton was part of the Marlins franchise for 7 years and had they kept him on board that would have helped with attendances. Even if the team does play bad if there's a chance of seeing a star player hit a homer (or two) then that might be big enough draw to bring in some extra fans.

Something else which MLB could consider is if there is a hotbed of support for a Minor team, perhaps try and grow that so if there's enough demand they could add an additional team or two to the league. You don't really need to extend the amount of games, just have them play each other a game or two less.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Thom's punishment should be having to field questions why Kansas City is the "fag capital of the world" during a news conference. I've been to Kansas City multiple times, and that wouldn't be my first description to use.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I assumed It's a Blazing Saddles reference.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:11 am I assumed It's a Blazing Saddles reference.
Ha, forgot about that

Here's one of the most heartfelt apologies of all time:

Not as graphic as Jim Brockmire, but it's weird that both gaffs took place in Kansas City :olol: