The Junk Food/Fast Food Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Junk Food/Fast Food Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

REJOICE! Australia is getting Viennetta on a stick!

Your ice cream prayers have been answered!

Streets Ice Cream have confirmed that they will be bringing single-serve Viennetta to Australia.

The internet lost their minds when photos surfaced of a conveniently packaged single chuck of Viennetta on a paddle pop stick.

Everyone was equally devastated to find out that they were only available in China.

Well, Streets heard you crying into your pillow and yelling on social media because they’ve decided to make it available down under.

Marketing Director Anthony Toovey said;

"The reaction to Viennetta on a stick from Australians has been unbelievable,"

"It has clearly tapped into the deep love many of us have for this party classic. With so many clamouring to try such an ingenious addition to the range, it would be wrong of us to ignore."

Right now there is no specific release date for the beautifully-rippled treat, but it is definitely coming!

Until then, Streets has provided us with a DIY guide!

Source: Nova

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

smart marketing by streets. Other companies could learn

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Based on that logo, I'm guessing Good Humor is called Streets in Australia.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Unilever bought them both and a heap of other ice cream companies around the world.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Well whatever it is, it looks delicious. I've never heard of viennetta until now, and apparently it used to exist in the US in the 90's but no more.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Speaking of junk food and the 90s, has anyone tried the new release of Crystal Pepsi? I may be wrong but I remember Crystal Pepsi tasting different than regular Pepsi. I tried the new release and it tastes just like Pepsi to me. Maybe nostalgia does that to you, when I tried Surge when it was re-released I thought it just tasted like Mello Yello.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy wrote:Well whatever it is, it looks delicious. I've never heard of viennetta until now, and apparently it used to exist in the US in the 90's but no more.
It is nice. Sort of like an ice cream cake with crunchy chocolate.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote:Speaking of junk food and the 90s, has anyone tried the new release of Crystal Pepsi? I may be wrong but I remember Crystal Pepsi tasting different than regular Pepsi. I tried the new release and it tastes just like Pepsi to me. Maybe nostalgia does that to you, when I tried Surge when it was re-released I thought it just tasted like Mello Yello.
I have tried it, and I assure you it does not taste like normal Pepsi. I never had Crystal Pepsi back in the 90's, but if this is what it tasted like back then, I can see why it died out.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

It tasted like normal Pepsi to me and my sister agreed. Nothing special at all.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It tasted a little different from my memory, like 75% Pepsi and 25% 7 Up. But 1992 was a long time ago. I was playing Sega and watching Beakman's World then. And I can't remember what others said, but nobody bought the glass 20oz more than 2 or 3 times in my neighborhood, so it must have sucked and we went back to Coke (A Cola, not Caine, that was years later.)

I haven't had the new one. I'll try to remember to buy it tonight when I get gas.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I finally remembered to buy it. I think it pretty much tastes like I remember.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This means nothing to meeeeeeeeeeee, ohhhhhhhhhhhh Viennettaaaaaaaaaa!

MunchBox would have been a better name for it.

And she looks a bit like Audrey Griswold in that video.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

KFC recipe challenge: Kitchen puts the 11 herbs and spices to the test

It is one of the most top secret recipes of all time: How does KFC get their chicken so finger lickin' good? This week, the Chicago Tribune got their hands on a recipe that could be the mysterious blend and put it to the test.

Our mission: find out if 11 ingredients handwritten on a piece of paper could be the secret blend of 11 herbs and spices that go into Kentucky Fried Chicken's Original Recipe - a closely guarded formula that remains one of the world's biggest culinary mysteries.

The recipe came to us by way of Colonel Harland Sanders' nephew, Joe Ledington of Kentucky. He says he found it in a scrapbook belonging to his late Aunt Claudia, Sanders' second wife. Ledington, 67, says he used to blend the spices that went into his uncle's world-famous fried chicken, and the recipe in question is the real deal.

We wanted to see - make that taste - for ourselves. So we put it to the test.

Our aim was not to replicate the exact cooking method used by KFC. That method has been explored and written about by others. Indeed, we decided to soak the raw chicken in a buttermilk-egg bath before frying based on some of those descriptions. Instead, we wanted to test the spice blend detailed in the recipe, which also calls for two cups of white flour.

Several batches of chicken were prepared in the Tribune test kitchen by recipe tester and stylist Lisa Schumacher. Food & Diningreporters and editors tasted each batch, comparing it to a bucket of KFC Original Recipe fried chicken that we purchased at the restaurant at 1144 S. Western Ave. in Chicago.

We bought all new herbs and spices - common grocery store brands - for the testing. We used all-purpose flour and standard table salt. The spice recipe, as written:

11 Spices - Mix With 2 Cups White Flour
1) 2/3 Ts Salt
2) 1/2 Ts Thyme
3) 1/2 Ts Basil
4) 1/3 Ts Origino (sic)
5) 1 Ts Celery Salt
6) 1 Ts Black Pepper
7) 1 Ts Dried Mustard
8) 4 Ts Paprika
9) 2 Ts Garlic Salt
10) 1 Ts Ground Ginger
11) 3  Ts White Pepper

The first challenge was to determine what that capital T meant. Standard practice in abbreviating recipe measures has a capital T standing for tablespoon. But what if the person who wrote the list on a seemingly random piece of paper meant teaspoon? So we tested the spice mix both ways: with teaspoon measures and with tablespoon measures, both mixed into two cups of flour.

In comparing those first two batches, tasters immediately agreed that the answer was: T equals tablespoons. After frying, the coating with the lesser amount of herbs and spices did not have the intensity of flavour we were looking for.

But even the flavour of the favoured batch wasn't quite right. Turns out the frying oil was too hot, causing the breading to brown too much, which overpowered the taste of the herbs and spices.

For the next couple batches, Schumacher tried double dipping into the spice and flour mixture. Too much coating, tasters decided.

With the oil temperature just right at 350 degrees, the chicken soaked in buttermilk and coated just once in the breading mixture, we had our final tasting.

How was it? Well, really good. In fact, tasters agreed the test kitchen fried chicken was even better than the Colonel's.

But more important, did it taste like the Colonel's secret blend of herbs and spices? It came very close, yet something was still missing. That's when a reporter grabbed a small container of the MSG flavor-enhancer Accent (how did that get in the test kitchen?) and sprinkled it on a piece of the fried chicken. That did the trick. Our chicken was virtually indistinguishable from the batch bought at KFC. (Does KFC add MSG? A KFC spokesperson confirms that it does use it in the Original Recipe chicken.)

Bottom line, could this be the Colonel's secret blend of 11 herbs and spices? We sure think so. The only folks who can say definitively are the keepers of the recipe at KFC's parent company, Yum! Brands. We asked, but the company would only say, "Lots of people through the years have claimed to discover or figure out the secret recipe, but no one's ever been right."

All we know is the recipe we tested certainly tastes like KFC. And whatever it is, it's finger lickin' good.
FRIED CHICKEN WITH 11 HERBS AND SPICES
Prep: 30 minutes
Soak: 20-30 minutes
Cook: 15-18 minutes
Makes: 4 servings

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1/3 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried mustard
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons ground white pepper
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1 chicken, cut up, the breast pieces cut in half for more even frying
Expeller-pressed canola oil

1. Mix the flour in a bowl with all the herbs and spices; set aside.

2. Mix the buttermilk and egg together in a separate bowl until combined. Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture at room temperature, 20-30 minutes.

3. Remove chicken from the buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off. Dip the chicken pieces in the herb-spice-flour mixture to coat all sides, shaking off excess. Allow to sit on a rack over a baking sheet, 20 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, heat about 3 inches of the oil in a large Dutch oven (or similar heavy pot with high sides) over medium-high heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). (Use a deep-frying thermometer to check the temperature.) When temperature is reached, lower the heat to medium to maintain it at 350. Fry 3 or 4 pieces at a time, being careful not to crowd the pot. Fry until medium golden brown, turning once, 15-18 minutes. Transfer chicken pieces to a baking sheet covered with paper towels. Allow the oil to return to temperature before adding more chicken. Repeat with remaining chicken.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by ET's Gay Lover »

:puke:
I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

ET's Gay Lover
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by ET's Gay Lover »

I do not know what to write as my signature. :dontknow"

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Anyone tried the KFC type recipe?. They changed the taste over the years, well they have over here. Old KFC had a nice taste the newer one isn't that nice anymore.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's the same in America. They just made the breading more crispy, but it tastes the same to me when. I got some a few weeks ago.

But I like Popeyes and Royal Farm better than KFC.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

They've changed the taste, the breading/batter and it's got like a synthetic quality to the chicken too. Not sure why they changed the recipe, maybe they use inferior quality chicken now and don't fry it the same way or something over here.