Dell Optiplex 980s for sale

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Dell Optiplex 980s for sale

Post by Calavera »

There is a local website where the county sells old stuff they don't use anymore. I've got a few Okidata printers off there awhile ago for like $5 and sold them for $100. Today I noticed they had some somewhat recent computers for sale.
Dell Optiplex 980 with keyboard and mouse (monitor not included), Open Office, Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus and restore CD's

System-32 Bit Windows 7 Pro; 3.2 Ghz Processor; 32 GB RAM;

148 GB Hard Drive

$75 each
$75 doesn't seem like too bad of a deal if you needed a computer. I don't really need one but I find the description interesting. 32GB ram, I'm not sure where they are getting that from. I looked up the specs and the max supported ram is 16gb. Then they say it has 148gb hard drive, which seems fairly small for a computer of that time. Again I looked up the specs and they came with a 320gb hard drive. If they actually had 32gb of ram I'd probably pick one up. The memory would be PC3-10600, that would be worth more than $75. Idk just seems odd.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Dell Optiplex 980s for sale

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've got a Dell Optiplex 990 Tower with a massive 4GB RAM which was A$200 a year and a half ago. If it's legit got 32GB in it, then that's a great price, but like you mentioned, 16GB is supposed to be the max RAM they can take.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:I've got a Dell Optiplex 990 Tower with a massive 4GB RAM which was A$200 a year and a half ago. If it's legit got 32GB in it, then that's a great price, but like you mentioned, 16GB is supposed to be the max RAM they can take.
Something else I didn't even think of is that it says it comes with Windows 7 32-bit, which would only be able to use 4gb.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Would it actually boot with that much RAM? Seems way over powered RAM wise with those specs. I don't think it's correct and if it is I'm interested to see how it performs. Unless it was custom built for video editing, music production, high end Photoshop editing.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote:Would it actually boot with that much RAM? Seems way over powered RAM wise with those specs. I don't think it's correct and if it is I'm interested to see how it performs. Unless it was custom built for video editing, music production, high end Photoshop editing.
I emailed to ask if the specs were correct but haven't heard from them yet. The more I look into it the less likely it becomes that it actually has 32gb of ram.

1.It is running a 32-bit OS which will only support 4gb of ram
2.The board only supports 16gb max
3.The board only has 2 memory slots with came with 2x2gb stock
4.The hard drive size is suspicious too as they came with 320gb, why would you downgrade. Plus 148gb is an odd size for a hard drive.

The worst part is that they are being sold by the county technology office. I'm not even sure what they do but you think they'd enough about computers to get the specs right. My guess on the HD is that it has 148gb free space and they are listing that as the total size. As for the 32gb ram though, I have no idea where they are getting that from. It most likely has 4gb of ram, I have no idea how you would confuse that for 32gb.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea if it only accepts 4GB it's unlikely it has 32gb RAM. Unless they got it to speed up the system but as it's from the county (I assume it was used for local government work and such) they wouldn't really need too highly powered a PC. Will be interesting to see what they say when they reply

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Maybe they confused the 32bit OS for RAM? That would be the only thing I could think of.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

They emailed me back, said it was a typo and that they have 3gb of ram. That is still confusing seeing how they came stock with 4gb! lol

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Calavera wrote:They emailed me back, said it was a typo and that they have 3gb of ram. That is still confusing seeing how they came stock with 4gb! lol

1 gb being withheld for video?

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote:They emailed me back, said it was a typo and that they have 3gb of ram. That is still confusing seeing how they came stock with 4gb! lol
If it’s running a 32 bit OS, it can only see up to 3GB of RAM. Which means there probably is actually 4GB in it, but they just went to system properties and saw the 3GB the OS was reporting.