NFL Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

I think the negative spin is that taking a knee is somehow anti-American or unpatriotic. I do believe those making a silent protest draws attention to things like BLM and police brutality and such. But does it positively change things, like you say it's not put a stop to anything. Maybe they should work within their communities and try and change things that way. Help recruit more black police officers, give the youngsters more opportunities so they don't have to fall back on crime as a way to make ends meet, give scholarships to gifted students. There aren't really in a position to stop racial profiling, racism, brutality etc.

So if you think them making a silent protest is a way of drawing attention to the problems in that way it's beneficial. It puts a spotlight on these issues whereas outside of the communities they aren't even referenced. But I do agree it hasn't really equated to change sadly. Remember they aren't civil rights activists they are athletes. Plus I haven't really seen any white athletes take a knee whereas say Tom Brady did people would take a ton of notice. No one should be subjected to police brutality, racial profiling and racism in because of your skin colour in the 21st century or ever.

I mean it's just incredibly small minded to pick on someone cause they a different skin tone to your own. But unfortunately that's the way of the world. In fact progress has took a thousand steps back and unless people really stand up and pay attention to the multitude of problems it's just continue to be an unbroken circle. There's no Dr Martin Luther King or Malcolm X to instigate change either and if there were he'd be denegrated by Fox, white press media etc as a "troublemaker" or a militant or something with a negative connotation.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Plus I haven't really seen any white athletes take a knee whereas say Tom Brady did people would take a ton of notice.
It's not even about race, it's about money and those with endorsements. The black stars weren't doing it either besides Marshawn Lynch, but he doesn't care about money.

Because Von Miller knelt early in the season and immediately lost a sponsor.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/25/b ... onsorship/

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Players have an option to stay in the locker room during the anthem if they so choose. Good article here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... f1a95c7b9b

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's only a tricky situition because they're taking a political stance while they are being paid by their employer. If they were doing something on their own time it would be ridiculous to have a problem with it. If they were just going on CNN or ESPN to talk about it like LeBron and others there's nothing anyone can do. He nor the NBA have had any effects. (And I don't think the NFL ratings drop is due to this, I think a mediocre season and burnout from Thursday games that mostly sucked did.)

But let's say you're a cable installer from Comcast, and when you go in to do a job to start airing political views to people who didn't ask for it. If someone complains "hey, this guy came over here and made it known he dislikes police and Donald Trump", they will never say "too bad, he has a first amendment right." They're going to bring you into the office and tell you for now on you need to keep your opinions to yourself when you are on company time. So what's the difference between being paid to play football and any other job?

So I can see both sides of the argument and think they should just stop airing the anthem on television to get everyone to move on.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

That's absolutely horrific. He needs an immediate lifetime ban.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yes it is, he allegedly beat his son and also his dog too.

All major sports organisations need a zero tolerance policy against domestic abuse. Real cowardly to beat on a woman and on children & animals. Why not fight with his team mates instead if he's the big tough guy?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

If the claim was it happened when she was in England and he was at his home in Miami that's interesting.

He denied it saying he hasn't even had any contact with her in months.

So we'll see.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

1 more month~!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:
Those A Football Life docs are really good. We get some of them here. They've never showed the Ray Lewis one though but I've found it on YT so will check it out

We usually get the NFL Hard Knocks but it's not listed on the TV schedule yet. Think last years was shown in September.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

:winner:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Ignore the YT description, this is the Four Falls of Buffalo. One of the best 30 for 30s in my opinion.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, that was quite a story. I was a little kid just getting into football during that era, and it was just incredible that such a good team could completely fall apart 4 years in a row. Not so much in the Dallas games in 1992 and 1993, because those Cowboys teams were some of the G.O.A.T. And the Giants defense were monsters that would give any team trouble. But they should have beaten the Redskins, there was no excuse for that one.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea it's a great story and they should have won at least one Super Bowl.

They were very close in almost beating the Giants though. One point behind and if Scott Norwood made the field goal attempt they'd have won Super Bowl XXV. He's still broke up about missing the kick now in the doc which is understandable but not really his fault.

They haven't shown this one here but it's the missing rings about the Bills

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Conor's long lost brother.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »