NFL Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: NFL Thread

Post by pixel »

I would be mad at Parkey for about 30 minutes because that's just how it goes. But then you realize that he outscored the entire Bears offense and that's when you find out who you should be upset with.

But when the hangover wears off, Chicago should be happy they went from the dumpster to winning the division in a season.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He's just going to ignore the Eagles loss to troll Cowboys fans.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Was he recruited from a mental hospital?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Saints got fucked royally. That may have been the worst blown call (really two blown calls for helmet to helmet and pass interference) I've ever seen.

So you've got a team that was gifted an NFC championship versus the team everyone outside of Massachusetts is sick of seeing in the Super Bowl. I'm not excited at all.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The interference call is just another moment added onto a long chain of similar instances where the NFL acts reactively in its own best interest.

Here are a few examples: Quarterbacks get roughed up too much? Encourage the refs to call roughing the passer. The tuck rule. An increase of defensive pass interference calls to better encourage the big passing plays.

It's been talked about for years, but the NFL needs to make any call reviewable. The replay system has already slowed down the game, so that isn't an argument against it anymore. Keep the number of available challenges the same and the game should be able to adapt in order to stop something like this from happening again.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:23 am The interference call is just another moment added onto a long chain of similar instances where the NFL acts reactively in its own best interest.

Here are a few examples: Quarterbacks get roughed up too much? Encourage the refs to call roughing the passer. The tuck rule. An increase of defensive pass interference calls to better encourage the big passing plays.

It's been talked about for years, but the NFL needs to make any call reviewable. The replay system has already slowed down the game, so that isn't an argument against it anymore. Keep the number of available challenges the same and the game should be able to adapt in order to stop something like this from happening again.
It really reminded me of the Lakers-Kings 2002 Western Conference Final where the refs let Kobe Bryant get away with a non-foul breaking Mike Bibby's nose with an intentional elbow to the face. Because if the Kings won the NBA Final would be a low rated Nets versus Kings series and David Stern didn't want that. CONSPIRACY~!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:11 am
pixel wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:23 am The interference call is just another moment added onto a long chain of similar instances where the NFL acts reactively in its own best interest.

It really reminded me of the Lakers-Kings 2002 Western Conference Final where the refs let Kobe Bryant get away with a non-foul breaking Mike Bibby's nose with an intentional elbow to the face. Because if the Kings won the NBA Final would be a low rated Nets versus Kings series and David Stern didn't want that. CONSPIRACY~!

I think you're definitely on to something there.

I've had the same thoughts about the NFL with some of the narratives that have played out coincidentally.

On the other hand, the NFL is a group of bumbling idiots if they think that Pats-Rams is a blockbuster matchup. :olol: It could be, but I'm not sure if Los Angeles will be showing up for the Super Bowl this year.

My fingers are crossed for a debilitating Patriots loss to help signal a new era in NFL history (old Bill vs. new Sean). But if that's the game this nation wants, we'll get a boring slog where New England goes up by 28 to 35 points by the third quarter.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I really can't see the Rams defense being able to handle the Gronk, Hogan, Edleman, and Dorsett attack. Brady just needs 2 seconds to find one of them open. I hate them, but they're firing on all cylinders in the post season.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I've moved past the hate phase and am more bored of Patriots than anything :olol: If no one wants them to win, then maybe people should start beating them? If Tony Romo was able to pick up New England's scheme during that OT drive, maybe a professional DC should be able too. But of course, the Chiefs D lives in the league's basement. :(

In a perfect world, we would have seen a Chiefs-Rams rematch where the Super Bowl would have better resembled a college playoff game:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's funny but I remember being at a bar in 2011 for the Ravens/Patriots AFC Championship game with a similar situation (fuck you, Billy Cundiff.) But revenge the next year was pretty sweet. So hopefully the Saints fans can have that feeling next year when an enraged Drew Brees is throwing TD bombs for 4 quarters like he was in NFL Blitz.

darc
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by darc »

Nothing will be fixed about how hard we got fucked this postseason, but I can only hope that going forward something changes regarding reviewing calls and expanding replays.

At this point, I can't fucking stand the NFL, but the Saints are an absolute staple of local culture here in New Orleans. I go in and out of periods where I only watch the Saints, and other periods where I absorb as much football as possible. Moving forward, I'll probably only keep my eye on the Saints.

Shitty thing is, I love college ball but it has its own rules issues. In the last LSU game of the regular season, we had some questionable officiating (none obviously as egregious as the Saints no-call though) that forced LSU into overtime with Texas A&M when it shouldn't have gone to OT, and we lost in 7OT (yes, you read that right, seventh OT)

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Well, this game has sucked so far. But at least we have Maroon 5 to look forward to. "thumbsup

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Neither team is getting anywhere in this game. I’ll be curious if anyone gets a touchdown at this point.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

First time a punter is named Super Bowl MVP.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

UGH...I’m so sick of the Patriots winning these.