Bought a new car

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Bought a new car

Post by Calavera »

I wasn't really looking for a new car but I stopped by a local car lot with a family member and saw this and had to buy it.

https://ibb.co/gVvEey

A 1993 Buick LeSabre. One of the main reasons I wanted it was because of the mileage, only 116,000 :o There is basically zero rust on this car, the body is in excellent condition. The interior is beautiful and it rides and drives so smooth. I've been monitoring the fuel mileage and as of now I don't have 100 percent accurate results but it seems to be averaging around 28mpg which is pretty damn impressive to me.

Now you are probably wondering the price. When all was said and done with taxes and everything it was $800. Now I know I'm not going to get any "wow awesome car" comments on a 1993 Buick LeSabre. But $800 for a 1993 with 116,000 miles in excellent condition that rides and drives like new, I am very happy with it.

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Bought a new car

Post by melancholy »

Dude, how does a 93 only have 116000 on it? I’d totally give $800 for that.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote:Dude, how does a 93 only have 116000 on it? I’d totally give $800 for that.
I don't know! It only averages out to about 4,600 miles a year. Seeing how it still has the factory AM/FM cassette radio, I'd guess an older person owned it most of it's life. It has the 3.8 liter 3800 series motor which is known as a very reliable motor, 300k and higher is no problem for these kind of cars as long as you take care of it. For only $800 it still has alot of life left in it. I've looked around at local ads and the only one I could find for close to that price was beat up, rusty and dirty and had 246,000 miles.

The pictures I posted was it sitting at the dealership before I bought it. I'll take some better pics later and upload them on here.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's a great buy for the mileage on a 1993 car. Here you'd have to be careful as some unscrupulous folks "clocked" cars so their mileage appeared lower than what it was. It was a 80s/90s thing but it still goes on now

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... o-avoid-it

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/c ... ocked-car/

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Here are the higher quality pictures.

When is the last time you saw a car with these push button style handles? :ocool:

Premium aluminum wheels, no wire hubcaps for me! :olol:

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

90s buicks are tanks to. I have 98 Regal that has 195100 on it. I am retiring it at 200,000 miles. Do you have to get it inspected? NJ doesn't let cars before 96 get inspected.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

OrangeRibbon wrote:90s buicks are tanks to. I have 98 Regal that has 195100 on it. I am retiring it at 200,000 miles. Do you have to get it inspected? NJ doesn't let cars before 96 get inspected.
No inspections here luckily. So what do you do in New Jersey if you have a car made before 1996?

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Calavera wrote:
OrangeRibbon wrote:90s buicks are tanks to. I have 98 Regal that has 195100 on it. I am retiring it at 200,000 miles. Do you have to get it inspected? NJ doesn't let cars before 96 get inspected.
No inspections here luckily. So what do you do in New Jersey if you have a car made before 1996?

They give you a paper to keep in the glove box in case you are pulled over.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I had a '98 LeSabre for years. They're a great car. The only issue I ever had was when the timing belt snapped. I like to do my own repairs because I like working on cars. But that was the biggest pain in the ass to try to replace so I had to take it in. But other than that I never had a problem with that car and I put a lot of miles on it.

But then I got a Subaru and have had lots of problems with that car even though it was new. Namely the tail lights would go out without warning even with brand new bulbs. So that was fun driving at night.

The inside of your car looks pretty close to what mine looked like. But the body was a little different.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Looking good aside from that hideous dash! Looks damn comfortable, and has some nice style in the outside, but that dash is like the 60's mixed with the 80's. :puke:

Bandit wrote:But then I got a Subaru and have had lots of problems with that car even though it was new. Namely the tail lights would go out without warning even with brand new bulbs. So that was fun driving at night.
There's your problem right there.. NEW subaru.. Guy at my last job had a liberty (legacy for you guys) Brand new.. thing would stall often for no reason at random speeds and they said there was nothing wrong with the car.. took them to court over it.
My mums 2016 XV has had an airbag recall, and the key often gets stuck in the ignition.
neighbours 2017 forester often won't register it's in park even when it is so she has to put it into neutral to start it..

My aunties 1997 Liberty with 450,000+ kilometres on the clock is still working perfectly
My cousins husbands 1988 Leone recently got sold with an odd 300,000, just needed a bigger car for the kids.
my 2001 WRX is fine except for a clock and needing a turbo rebuild after 245,000 k's
my new 2002 liberty B4 is pretty amazing at 172,000 k's... The ashtray light is not working.

I don't know when subaru started sucking, but it was between 2002 and 2016 sometime. Now a non functional ashtray light is a pretty serious design flaw, but I'll take that over not being able to start it, it choosing when to stop, then not being able to remove my key when I reach my destination... :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

ian wrote:Looking good aside from that hideous dash! Looks damn comfortable, and has some nice style in the outside, but that dash is like the 60's mixed with the 80's. :puke:
The model was targeted to older people, so that's probably why, because they'd want basic layouts.

When I first got the car I had to hear endless old man jokes from my friends.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I have to hear endless old man jokes about my hair.. Thinking of just bleaching it all white to be done with it, then get a cane and start hitting people with it and calling them buttheads..

I should totally get one of those cars for the whole angry old man thing I've got going on...

Also, get off my lawn!! (I'm parking cars on my lawn as you can see in the car and bike thread)
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I miss driving this car. After driving it for a couple of years it developed a "security" issue. Basically the key has a chip on it and when you put the key in the car reads that chip and allows it to start. When something goes wrong with that the car refuses to even crank over. It is such an annoying problem since there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car. The engine ran great but due to that bullshit security chip it will no longer start.

Before it went all the way out the security light came on the dash a few times when I was driving it and the sometimes it wouldn't crank over. If you kept turning the key it would finally start up though. So I started just leaving it running if I was just going in the store real quick. The last time I drove it I shut it off to get gas and then it wouldn't crank over at all. I sat there turning the key back and forth for several minutes and luckily it finally started.......for the last time :( Once it started I still finished the shopping I had to do and just left it running while I went inside. Then when I got home I shut it off and it hasn't started since.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Fuckin' cars! Electrical problems are the worst.

My first car started developing one electrical fault after another till I scrapped it.
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:18 pm Fuckin' cars! Electrical problems are the worst.

My first car started developing one electrical fault after another till I scrapped it.
I called the junkman yesterday and got $400 for it. I'm fine with that, it has been just sitting here for awhile now and I'm never going to fix it. Also when you consider I only gave $800 for it when it ran and drove great and am now getting $400 for it when it is basically junk it doesn't seem like all that bad of a deal. So in the end it is like I paid $400 to drive it for a little over a year or so. Some people's monthly car payments are more than that! lol