Netception

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
melancholy
Global Mod

Netception

Post by melancholy »

I just configured my router to use a VPN in Florida. So far it works great, and I'm only losing ~1.5Mbps on my 30Mbps connection (so not even noticeable). Now when I did this, I assumed that my VPN on my PC and tablet would break. But amusingly, it didn't. So for fun, I connected my PC VPN to Switzerland. Then I set my tablet to Japan. And finally, I sent a file to Dropbox.

My file was sent from Indiana to Florida, then to Switzerland, then back to to somewhere in the US. Once there, the file was pulled back off that US server, sent to Japan, back to Florida, and finally arrived on my tablet. And all of that happened in about a minute. Technology amuses me.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Re: Netception

Post by Roofus »

You can torrent everything forever and no one will ever find you.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Obviously the next step is to plug a wireless dongle into my PC and have it act as an access point for my tablet. Then set all three devices to different countries. US to Russia to Switzerland to Hong Kong, with each server encrypting the info.

I would wear a tin foil hat, but I'm paranoid of it messing up the wifi.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

What VPN do you use? I've got Private Internet Access and I've also got a lifetime ProXPN account. I mostly stick to PIA though because ProXPN can get slow.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Roofus wrote:What VPN do you use? I've got Private Internet Access and I've also got a lifetime ProXPN account. I mostly stick to PIA though because ProXPN can get slow.
I like PIA. Something that won't bother you guys is that up until recently it used to allow Aussies to get around the Netflix geoblocking but Netflix put a stop to that :(

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

PIA as well, who I like even more now that I know you can stack connections (as long as they are two different locations).

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Soooo, as Skynet has mentioned, Netflix blocks PIA. Which means that my VPN routing has hit a snag. What I ended up doing was setting all the devices that use Netflix as static IP's (basically the PS3 and the Fire TV), and then set the VPN policy to filter every device except those two IP's. Pretty annoying, but it works.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

On my way out to school today, I connected to my Raspberry Pi VPN and streamed the music off my Plex server.
melancholy wrote:Soooo, as Skynet has mentioned, Netflix blocks PIA. Which means that my VPN routing has hit a snag. What I ended up doing was setting all the devices that use Netflix as static IP's (basically the PS3 and the Fire TV), and then set the VPN policy to filter every device except those two IP's. Pretty annoying, but it works.
That is annoying. The only reason I'd want a VPN on my router would be to watch BBC iPlayer on my Shield. There might be a way to get fancy with it and send all traffic except Netflix through the VPN.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote:Soooo, as Skynet has mentioned, Netflix blocks PIA. Which means that my VPN routing has hit a snag. What I ended up doing was setting all the devices that use Netflix as static IP's (basically the PS3 and the Fire TV), and then set the VPN policy to filter every device except those two IP's. Pretty annoying, but it works.
I guess it would bother you then. :olol: What's annoying is they allow you to browse the library and then as soon as you hit play you're blocked. I hope PIA works something out as I use PIA for a combination of things, one of which includes the US Netflix catalogue.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Roofus wrote:
That is annoying. The only reason I'd want a VPN on my router would be to watch BBC iPlayer on my Shield. There might be a way to get fancy with it and send all traffic except Netflix through the VPN.
As I was searching solutions, a person did post a way of just bypassing Netflix's servers. But the problem is that you have to tell it the address of every know server, which is a pretty big list and can change as Netflix adds/removes server locations. It was faaaaar easier to just have the router skip the PS3.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Raspberry Pi 3. The 2 is a VPN server and I set up the 3 as a WiFi VPN access point. I configured the 3 to connect to the PIA server in Melbourne, connected my phone to it and used the OpenVPN client to connect to my private VPN server. So all the internetting went through my cable modem to Australia, back to my cable modem to the Pi 2 five feet away, back out the cable modem to Australia, back to the cable modem one last time and finally to my phone. The speed suffered slightly.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

I kinda just stopped torrenting stuff.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

OrangeRibbon wrote:I kinda just stopped torrenting stuff.

If you stop torrenting then ISIS wins. Why do you hate America?

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Roofus wrote:
OrangeRibbon wrote:I kinda just stopped torrenting stuff.

If you stop torrenting then ISIS wins. Why do you hate America?
Amazon's music prices are pretty decent (Heck a lot of stuff is free for Prime members), and Netflix / Hulu took away my need to pirating videos.