The Weather Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Skynet
Site Admin

Re: The Weather Thread

Post by Skynet »

It was 3C this morning. Currently 5C/41F.

No rain, no wind, just blue skies and no warmth.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ALL OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA IS WITHOUT POWER!?!?!?
WHAT IN THE FUCK?!?! S.A is pretty big...

A storm big enough to wipe out the power of an entire state is big enough to wipe out the state..
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

America has had ice storms that have taken out most of the East Coast's power. I remember in 1994 we lost power everywhere for 24 hours and school was canceled for two weeks because the roads were too icy. But we didn't give a shit because there was a store down the block we could walk to. It was pretty great, actually.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

And they only got power last year. The same time they got Krispy Kremes.

State in the dark: South Australia's major power outage

The entire state of South Australia was without power for several hours on Wednesday afternoon, with the region gripped by what could be one of the most extreme weather systems to hit in 50 years.

A mass blackout began about 3.30pm Wednesday afternoon, plunging the city into darkness, grounding flights and causing havoc on the state's roads.

Traffic lights were rendered inoperational, choking roads in the CBD. Building fire alarms blared across the city, according to local media reports, and residents rushed to supermarkets to stock up on candles and matches.

By 7.30pm local time, power had been restored to some Adelaide suburbs including Gilberton, Hallett Cove and Kensington. It had been reported earlier that much of the state could be without power until 4.15am on Thursday.

More than 18,000 State Emergency Services volunteers were on the ground across the state responding to hundreds of calls for help, with reinforcements on their way from Western Australia.

Premier Jay Weatherill said the storm took down three transmission lines and nine towers in the Port Augusta region, forcing the electricity connection between South Australia and Victoria - known as an "interconnector" - to be shut down.

Wind turbines, which make up an estimated 40 per cent of the state's power generation, were unable to operate as winds were too high, South Australian senator Nick Xenophon said.

Mr Weatherill told media it was the "usual protocol" to isolate South Australia from the National Electricity Market in a situation where there is a "large frequency drop".

He said the state's "backup baseload generation" was beginning to restore power, however that was a gradual process.

The operators of SA's high-voltage power network, ElectraNet, were in an emergency meeting on Wednesday afternoon to determine a solution.

National energy and resources minister Josh Frydenberg said high-voltage transmission towers were blown over in the state's north as lightning struck a power station, creating a "perfect storm".

"The combination of these events, and indeed other events, have led to a frequency surge, an electricity surge, across the interconnector," he said.

He proposed bringing together the nation's energy ministers as soon as possible in a Council of Australian Governments meeting to determine what happened and ensure it was not repeated.

No upstream supply from the transmission network. State currently w/out power. Do not report outages. We will provide updates when avail.
— SA Power Networks (@SAPowerNetworks) September 28, 2016

The SES advised people to "stay at home if you can", saying electric trains and trams had come to a halt across Adelaide.

Traffic gridlocked in #Adelaide pic.twitter.com/duoDF4tRHZ
— SA SES (@SA_SES) September 28, 2016

Adelaide Airport was able to run on back-up power after a brief blackout, but travellers were told to expect delays.

About 5.30pm, residents were told to conserve power to their mobile phone battery and prepare for extended outages. Residents were also told to switch off all heating, cooking and other appliances that were in use when the power went out.

Two severe storm fronts swept across SA on Wednesday, the first hitting Adelaide around lunchtime and the second about 3.30pm. The power went out across the state about 3.45pm, when there was heavy rain, lightning and thunder over the capital.

The town of Cleve, on the central Eyre Peninsula, was among the hardest hit. Other towns including Gawler, Kapunda, Clare and Balaklava were also hammered by the storm, which dumped large hail over the region.

The eye of the storm...captured at #Adelaide's Brighton beach...stay safe #SouthAustralia. Pic: marianmartinphotographyaus via IG pic.twitter.com/npCwKRzhtl
— South Australia (@southaustralia) September 28, 2016

Kim Westcott, a Meteorologist with Fairfax Media's Weatherzone, said 130,000 lightning strikes hit the state from midnight to 5pm.

The strikes, part of a cold front, mainly hit in the state's south-east, within 300 kilometres of Port Augusta.

"In behind this lightning-intensive system we have a really quite intense low-pressure system, so we are looking at damaging wind gusts," Ms Westcott said.

The Bureau of Meteorology warned wind gusts up to 140km/h could be experienced, with isolated rainfall up to 100 millimetres.

By Wednesday evening, the highest gust had been recorded at Snowtown, which experienced 104km/h winds in the mid-afternoon and 26 millimetres of rain in an hour.

High winds and rain are expected to continue on Thursday, as another low pressure system moves over the state. However, conditions are expected to "rapidly improve" on Friday.

Mr Xenophon said the situation was a "disgrace" and he was worried for those who relied on power for medical equipment in their homes.

"How did this happen?" Mr Xenophon asked. "This is unprecedented in this nation. We need answers. There needs to be an independent inquiry.

"I can't believe that my state is in darkness at the moment. This should not have happened, and if heads should roll, so be it."

The Clean Energy Council, the peak body for renewable energy, said no connection had been established between clean energy and the blackout.

"The resulting power outage is obviously frustrating for everyone in the state, but it is important to note that this could have happened in any state given today's weather conditions," Clean Energy Council policy manager Tom Butler said .

"Despite the extensive effort put into planning for emergency events by the electricity grid operator, not every event can be predicted."

There were no implications for other states from the extensive blackout.

Source: The Age

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The same time they got Krispy Kremes.
That's all you need in life when you think about it.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

"Wind turbines, which make up an estimated 40 per cent of the state's power generation, were unable to operate as winds were too high"

Well they're useful then!!!
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've also sent a message to Skynet via carrier pigeon. I hope the pigeon doesn't get blown away! or I'll have to send a message on horseback, and that's expensive.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

OK well I'm alive. The traffic in the city was fucked. I work just inside the Adelaide CBD, so not too far in but even getting out of that was a nightmare. Police directing traffic everywhere. Cars all over the fucking place. At one point when I was stuck in traffic going nowhere I had to smile though. As I was sitting there, no power in sight, fire engine right up my ass unable to move a thought came into my mind. I've always wanted some kind of apocalypse, whether it be zombie or other, and this truly felt like what you see in movies. I was hoping I could Die Hard 3 my exit from the city and use the fire engine to my advantage, like John with the ambulance, but it didn't happen.

What made the whole night even better was the fact I never carry money on me, so not only was it hard enough finding a place that was still operating to buy food, it was even harder finding one that still had card capabilities. The store we ended up was basically being cleared out of anything, even though the power outage was for 1 night people were losing their minds.

I was at work when this all unfolded and luckily no one was stuck in the elevator at the time, but a mate of mine's fiance said someone was stuck in the lift at her work. What shitted me off is they didn't even send people home early, even though there was no way in hell we could do anything. Actually I lie, they sent us home 4 mins early.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

What made the whole night even better was the fact I never carry money on me, so not only was it hard enough finding a place that was still operating to buy food, it was even harder finding one that still had card capabilities.
See I use my debit or credit for practically everything. But I still have 50 bucks in my wallet for natural disasters. Because I won't be eating cold Hormel chili and Dinty Moore beef stew like a bum for a week.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Bandit wrote:
What made the whole night even better was the fact I never carry money on me, so not only was it hard enough finding a place that was still operating to buy food, it was even harder finding one that still had card capabilities.
See I use my debit or credit for practically everything. But I still have 50 bucks in my wallet for natural disasters. Because I won't be eating cold Hormel chili and Dinty Moore beef stew like a bum for a week.
I actually had some money on me the other day and was planning on keeping it in my wallet, which I never do, but instead of using my card like always I used that cash instead.

I tend to have cash at home but that would have required me to drive home again after I'd already picked up my girlfriend, so I couldn't be bothered. :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote:OK well I'm alive. The traffic in the city was fucked.

What shitted me off is they didn't even send people home early, even though there was no way in hell we could do anything.
So the traffic was like Melbourne or Sydney at any time of any day! :olol:

And they wanted you to do inventory, clean out keyboards, sort papers in darkness and tell tales about the days of civilization huddled around a fire.
-Two Interactive.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

I only just got internet and foxtel back today. Been out since the storm.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A week offline (besides mobile), that sucks.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Prophet][ wrote:I only just got internet and foxtel back today. Been out since the storm.
Luckily my Internet was only down during the blackouts, which was about 6-7 hours on Wednesday and about 6 hours on Thursday.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

I think most of the Golden Groven HFC network has been down. Its still listed as a fault on Telstra's site but im happy its working for the time being.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Of all the pictures they could show, they choose this dude. :olol:

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Sweltering? 39 degrees? Get back to us when it's mid to high 40s.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

That is 104+ in America. That sounds like DC this August. Now we're about to be hit by the Polar Vortex from Canada plus high winds tomorrow. Then it will feel like Spring on Sunday. This year's weather has been schizophrenic non stop.