The Soccer/Futbol/Football topic

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Soccer/Futbol/Football topic

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Brock Lesnar's twin is in trouble for eating a pie during a game.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Atrocious, if true. The shelf life for managers is insane these days, some haven't even lasted long enough to see one transfer window.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Seriously WTF, dude must be a troll. If he "really" believes that then

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Did you see that Ludicrous display last night?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Which team?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man wrote:Which team?

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

:lol: I forgot about that scene, guess I need to be more "on the ball" in future!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Not much of an insult. A weird thing to sing about though.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Tottenham have fans whom are Jewish (Sir Alan Sugar was Spurs chairman for a while) so they've been subjected to anti Semitic chants and slurs.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:

Not much of an insult. A weird thing to sing about though.
I didn't know Stormwatch moved to England.
Tottenham have fans whom are Jewish (Sir Alan Sugar was Spurs chairman for a while) so they've been subjected to anti Semitic chants and slurs.
That's kind of weird. In America most Jewish people live in New York and New Jersey, but nobody associates the Yankees or Giants with them.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Theres an article about it here:
https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/feature ... am-1.53784

And

http://m.spiegel.de/international/europe/a-926095.html

Also I think football fans use anything they can to throw insults at each other. Some teams fans legitimately hate each other and that just veers into a weird territory. There's a show on ESPN IIRC called Football Rivalries (might be on YT) and if you watch that some teams fans are just intent on fighting rather than spectating.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

We don't have anything like that. We'll make fun of a city but not the people. Like I'll say Pittsburgh is a joyless, depressing shithole, and America put its cancer center there so people with cancer can say "I may be dying, but at least I didn't live here." But I don't say anything about the residents.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

When there's a religious element added it's even worse. Celtic (Catholics) vs Rangers (Protestants) is historically known as a huge rivalry. Football has a tribal type element to it which I think why the fans get so wound up. I think it's much better if they stuck to the spectator element as fighting over sports is just WTF.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't know much about British Football or how the UK law manages large crowds, but I saw the 30 For 30 episode on it and it seems to be completely different from US stadium laws. We've always had seats only rules and city inspectors that come out to survey crowds, and if you're one fan over the limit they give you a massive fine and monitor you even harder. They can also shut an event down, but that only happens at small venues. If they tried to shut an NFL game down with 70,000 people they would riot, so that's just an empty threat.

Bert McGee should have been charged. He was told of the dangers after a 1987 incident that almost turned into a disaster and laughed off the idea that anybody could die in a crush.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

He is culpable too sure, but the blame really should be more so at the police's door. In the event of the Hillsborough tragedy the Taylor report which you can read here: http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/ ... 60001.html recommended all seater stadiums. The 30 for 30 you mention actually wasn't shown here until 2016
The documentary could not be shown in the United Kingdom when it originally aired in 2014, due to the 2012 High Court inquest still being in progress. However, after the inquest verdict, the BBC aired the documentary on 8 May 2016, with additional footage from the inquest and final verdict.
There is a very hard to watch docudrama called Hillsborough too which can be seen here:

It was shown last year and was originally aired in 1996. I could go into a lot of detail but to get to the point at the time the Football grounds (stadiums) were terraced and what happened was they kept bringing fans in where was no more space so essentially they were herded into a pen and were crushed together causing 96 fans to lose their lives. The police at the time thought they were "hooligans" and crowd trouble but they were getting on to the pitch to avoid being crushed further and helping those injured or who had sadly been killed. That the Sun (right referred to as The Scum in Liverpool) newspaper propagated lies about the fans and what happened has never really been forgiven and rightly so because it was propagating falsehoods and blatant lies. You can read what they said here: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/ ... .football1 and it's difficult to read without becoming angry considering what really happened. That they had the audacity to make a token apology is sickening. That there are now being charges being brought means that there is finally justice for the 96. That it's taken almost 30 years is unfathomable.