NBA/Basketball Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: NBA Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

Eastern conference finals set now Cavs vs Celtics

Western conference has Rockets vs Warriors

Would be interesting if we get a Celtics v Rockets NBA finals but I'm thinking we'll get Cleveland and GSW again for the fourth year in a row.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I want Cavs/Rockets.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That would be a good finals matchup. LeBron has been great so far and I wouldn't rule out him leading the Cavs to their second NBA championship. Think they traded majority of their team but that gamble has paid big dividends. I doubt had they still had Rose, D-Wade and the older guys they'd reach this far. Only real thing is they should have kept Kyrie. That trade backfired but they got Nance and some other good players eventually so its not so bad.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, Cavs got hot at the right time, so they'd definitely beat Houston, but it was be fun.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It will be like the OJ Made in America series except about a good person that people like.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That sounds really good. You'd think 10 hours is a lot on paper but MJs had such a storied career I'm sure it will be real interesting. ESPN already did Jordan Rides the Bus about Mike in the Minors and about his pops sadly being murdered. Im assuming Coach Phil, Chuck, Scottie et all will be on the doc too. I also assume NBA entertainment are involved since this would be great PR for the NBA too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It might not be enough time. His youth gets an hour, his college years get an hour, Air Jordans get an hour, his father's murder and baseball attempt gets an hour. Then you have 6 hours to talk about the 1984-1998 Bulls years. But then you also need time to talk about the Wizards, Dream Team, Space Jam, Bobcats, his gambling addiction, becoming a billionaire, his thousand endorsement deals, etc.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea when you think about it there's so much to be covered. I expect them to focus a lot of time on MJs father being murdered, his early years with the Bulls with Horace & Scottie, retirement to baseball, then the 3peat Bulls team and his gambling addiction. Then some things will be covered by glossed over. There's a certain element of melancholy and sensationalism to the 30 for 30s. Like with Naitch they focused more time than you'd expect on Reid passing. Unless it's something particularly built around a topic like The Announcement about Magic. So I think they will focus a lot of time on elements of MJs life which will draw the most ratings. Instead of a glossy piece saying what a great player he was like on the old NBA MJ VHS tapes.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

You're right, but the director in addition to the Flair one also did the Christian Laettner one, which was fun since he isn't even upset his NBA career wasn't that great and was just about his fun success with Duke and how much he loved being the superstar villain of the NCAA for four years. So I think he knows the public wants a fun nostalgia trip for Jordan instead of focused the whole time on coping with James being murdered, although that will get a whole episode. People want classic highlights of dunks and then cutting to the guy who got dunked on talking about what a beast Jordan was in the 90s.

Although the Air Jordans episode will have to get a little dark.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I liked the Christian one where he was heeling it up, he should have had a better NBA sure but maybe his attitude turned teams and potential team mates off. Yea majority of the MJ doc has to be light hearted since it'll be depressing hearing Mike talking about his dad etc. His decision to quit to play baseball, his whole thought process behind that will be intriguing. I guess he wanted to emulate Bo Jackson & play two sports. Had he been good enough and made it to the White Sox would he have stayed in the Majors or try and split his time between both?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

should have had a better NBA sure but maybe his attitude turned teams and potential team mates off
IMO it wasn't that, it's just that lots of great college players can't hang in the pros. All of the '91 Duke team went to the NBA, but only Grant Hill had what it took to be a star there.
Had he been good enough and made it to the White Sox would he have stayed in the Majors or try and split his time between both?
He wouldn't have had the time. People were able to do MLB and NFL because regular season football is only one game a week September-December. He'd have to play 162 baseball games April-September, then play 82 NBA games October-June (and it wouldn't be possible to play both in April, May and June.)

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

lol@people who wrote the Rockets off after game 1. Come on, they're a tough team, they're not just going to lay down and die in 4 games. The Warriors will have to earn it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

IMO it wasn't that, it's just that lots of great college players can't hang in the pros. All of the '91 Duke team went to the NBA, but only Grant Hill had what it took to be a star there.
True but he bullied the heck out of his team mate to the nth degree and if he tried that on another player that would mess up team chemistry and piss people off. You have to be hard on your team mates to a degree but he was making that guys life a misery. Even in hindsight he looked pissed talking about Laettner.
He wouldn't have had the time. People were able to do MLB and NFL because regular season football is only one game a week September-December. He'd have to play 162 baseball games April-September, then play 82 NBA games October-June (and it wouldn't be possible to play both in April, May and June.)
Yea I forgot about the overlap between the NBA and MLB seasons. I was thinking more could he have consistently performed at a high level in 2 different sports.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

With a break between seasons of a few months, yes. Going back to back would have taken years off his career.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's true.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Like people who dislike baseball don't think it's hard on you because "it's 4 hours of guys standing around" in their view. But there's just as many injuries as basketball, maybe more. So his back and knees would never be healthy.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Definitely. Theres the risk of being hit with flying debris if the bat breaks and hit by 90+ mile a hour fast balls. Also guys have Tommy John surgery, heard that referenced a few times recently by the commentators.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Back on the topic of hated players from Duke

If he makes it in the NBA he will be the biggest heel in sports.