UK Politics Thread (Brexit)

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: UK Politics Thread (Brexit)

Post by Bandit »

Don't forget about Ed Balls. His slogan possibilities are endless. "Balls To That", "It Takes Balls", '"Balls For Britain", etc.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Ed was on Strictly (the UK version of DWTS) so he could be like Dancin' Ed too. This could be his campaign video

Or he could switch things up and go with the Balls gimmick

photoshop his face on this cover and write Tory ball breaker = all the votes

He could buddy up with Axl Rose and get the ECDub fan votes as they could be the new new Labour Balls and Axl.

Although I think he's actually quit the Labour Party now. So it has to be

BOOM CHUKA-LAKA~!

Right now his campaign song would be Wars "Why can't we be friends" and he could be pals with the UKs Will Smith Richard "U Da Man" Blackwood. Then on Question Time Mo Farah turns up and too sweets Chuka to form the CWO and they powerbomb host David Dimbeley thru a table.

"All you Tory voters can just stick it brother!!!"

#NewnewnewLabour4life

Their party political broadcasts

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

And if the second one doesn't produce the right result, they'll offer a third.
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

They'll just use that to gain voters and not fufill their promises like Clegg and the free university fees angle he was pushing.

redgorilla
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by redgorilla »

Big Boss Man wrote:They'll just use that to gain voters and not fufill their promises like Clegg and the free university fees angle he was pushing.
Totally agree:)

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Big Boss Man wrote:They'll just use that to gain voters and not fufill their promises like Clegg and the free university fees angle he was pushing.
To be fair Clegg didn't have much choice as the Conservatives had the controlling majority in that coalition. Clegg was basically a scapegoat from the moment they made the deal.
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The Lib Dems got a lot of votes and the support of students because of his free university tuition angle. Those voters for his party swayed things so he could become IIRC Deputy Prime Minister. If he was a man of his word he'd have said I've got to honour the free fees thing. Yes it was a coaliation government but as Deputy PM he should have said I want to honour my promise because he did sort of, kind of win power. So his free tuition fees was just a ruse and made him seem Blairite. Plus his lie almost destroyed the credibility of the Liberal Democrats and in the previous election they lost a ton of seats and the reason, Nick Clegg and his failure to back up his promises. He basically sweet talked students and mature students to vote Lib Dem and those votes got him in a position of power, the second highest position behind being actual PM. He should have said he has to work out a free tuition or affordable fees for students. For him to pluck that idea out of the air means it must have been viable. Or offered scholarships to high school students and bursaries from lower income families that could have been achievable and he would have at least sort of honoured his promise. Instead those Lib Dem voters got nowt.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Deputy PM he should have said I want to honour my promise because he did sort of, kind of win power.
Actually nothing had really changed from before the election, Lib Dems were still a party in Westminster with a bunch of seats, they were basically there to make up the short fall.

Dep. PM was more of an "advisory" role than anything else, it was a title to make someone who had no real power look important.
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

IIRC both parties had to concede some of their policies to create like a display of loyalty between the two. So it wasn't just a case of just making up the numbers they did have some say which I'm assuming is how Cameron got Clegg and the LDs on board. Again considering he hornswoggled a lot of people to vote for them on the free fees promise he should have made that his main focus and said to David Cameron we need to work something out. If he came out and specifically said I pushed for it and they said no then at least he would have tried. Also from what I remember if Cameron stepped down then Clegg would have been PM. I used to watch Question Time and read the Mirror et al a lot during this time but now I'm kinda disillusioned with politics since it's just one party out spinning the other and making false promises. If a real no BS politician stepped up and actually delivered on their policies that would be groundbreaking and but I can't ever see that happening. Or they come across as a uber heel like Jez Corbyn. Him suddenly developing a man of the people gimmick would be so hypocritical. He's like the Sideshow Bob of politics.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

IIRC both parties had to concede some of their policies to create like a display of loyalty between the two. So it wasn't just a case of just making up the numbers
This wasn't a 50/50 thing though, the majority sat with the conservatives, and Lib Dems were pretty much done after the "U Turn" on tuition fees.

The only purpose they served after that was basically a punching bag for the public over unpopular Tory policies.
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's true. But I think if Clegg took a stand and worked something out re the tuition fees he'd have not been in the position where he was depicted as a pantomine villain. As they did have seats some Tory policies did get vetoed or re written to be more in tune with the LDs. The coalition government could work to the advancement of the UK if you get a solid balance of policies. Instead it's almost like when WCW and WWF were counter programming the other during the Monday Night Wars. Say there's a policy about the NHS, Labour be like Save the NHS, Trident and military spending favoured by the Tories, Labour reduce spending and use that on other areas then they switch gears and because the Trident stuff is getting over they say we will reactivate trident etc. So it's all argument/counter argument and if they cut the BS and worked together and worked out strong policies for the betterment of the country and its people that would actually be productive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Eurovision is serious business.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Because the BBC has restrictions on political content. That's not the first song mentioning a politician they refused to play.

Plus they're a ska band and it's not 1997.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Same thing happened with George Michael's "I Want Your Sex", due to it being about Margaret Thatcher.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

:lol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I know in the US Rolling Stone puts Democrats on the cover (Obama was on it at least once a year) but is this normal for NME? I don't remember Tony Blair on it.