UK Politics Thread (Brexit)

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: UK Politics Thread (Brexit)

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I thought the EU wasn't mad about it?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Officially: We're not angry. We still like you.

Behind the scenes: Let's fuck 'em up!

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Bandit wrote:
Apparently, up until 1992 it was legal in Chester to kill a Welshman with a bow and arrow, maybe we can bring that back now...
I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, I read some of the Guardian's live blog on it. The EU sounds like a boyfriend having a meltdown when his girlfriend tells him she's leaving. Nigel Farage is probably furiously masturbating.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Apparently, up until 1992 it was legal in Chester to kill a Welshman with a bow and arrow, maybe we can bring that back now...
RIP Manic Street Preachers.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

The EU want to send a message to other countries thinking of leaving.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Prophet][ wrote:The EU want to send a message to other countries thinking of leaving.
That doesn't sound like a healthy union.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Bandit wrote:
Prophet][ wrote:The EU want to send a message to other countries thinking of leaving.
That doesn't sound like a healthy union.

It sounds basically like someone left an apartment and is angry he can't use the pool for free anymore. Free trade is one of the main benefits of being in the EU.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Whats LOLZ about the whole thing is why give the general public who have a stealthy xenophobic Deytookourjawbs attitude to the immigrants the power to vote out of the EU. It's the PC brigade who secretly complain about the "foreigners" who have really messed this up. The UK can trade on its own but it really does need the EU to back it up. All the ex Pats living in Spain etc I guess have to come home or stay put as no EU means no more freedom of moment anymore. I Wouldn't be surprise if there's a mass exodus up to Scotland if they become independent from the UK. Interesting times ahead and I can't see how anything good will come out of being independent. When the country is too PC to even fly the St George or Union Jack flag why have the majority suddenly become Pro England. It's just like during the World Cup or European championships. Speaking of which I guess England are blackballed and no more Eurovision either !!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

When the country is too PC to even fly the St George
I see one every day since somebody on my street has one on their flag pole. It took me by surprise when I first saw it.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

I can't wait for the Ashes tour later this year, going to be some good banter with the Barmy Army. You definitely see the St George and Union Jack there and with the Lions tour of NZ coming up I'm sure the flags of all the British and Irish nations will be out.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea but unlike in most countries the only time it's "acceptable" to fly the flag is during sporting tournaments. Folks have been asked to take the St George and Union Jack down because it's somehow offensive. Whilst in theory every British citizen should have the right to fly the flag. Which makes the whole Brexit pro UK attitude hypocritical. Because it's almost like some people are embarrassed to be British or don't want to be outwardly patriotic. Because of the PC brigade if someone wore say a ball cap with a St George on (not during a sporting tournament) they'd be seen as a EDL/National front member. It's a really messed up situation. Even during the Brit Pop era with the Britannia Cool vibe at the Brit Awards Geri wore the Union Jack dress and she mentioned recently that there was questions over it because it came across as national fronting. So even back in 1997 wearing or displaying the flag had nationalist overtones. I really don't know why the UK has essentially lost or at least has its patriotism neutered. The whole Bulldog spirit is now just a ember sadly.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... h-identity

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/201 ... re-english

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... orge-right

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Bandit wrote:
When the country is too PC to even fly the St George
I see one every day since somebody on my street has one on their flag pole. It took me by surprise when I first saw it.
I'm pretty sure there's council regs on flags in general, there was an eight year old kid who was ordered to take down a pirate flag in his back yard not long too ago.

Saying that though, there's a house in my street that has a St. George's Cross flying high in their front garden for years, I guess nobody has bothered to complain about it.
I can't get no...

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

In the US the only law is the American flag has to be on top, other than that you can put up whatever you want.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Could be council regulations and such, but if that applied during the World Cup they'd be a no flag ruling in affect. It's actually a novelty to spot a Union Jack or St George flag. Its I'm assuming because the EDL/NF have adopted the flag so it's the equivalent to a confederate flag now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rsial.html

But again it's the national flag of England so the government/powers that be should reapproiate the flag and give it back its true meaning instead of it being associated with racists masquerading themselves as patriots.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Big Boss Man wrote:Could be council regulations and such, but if that applied during the World Cup they'd be a no flag ruling in affect. It's actually a novelty to spot a Union Jack or St George flag. Its I'm assuming because the EDL/NF have adopted the flag so it's the equivalent to a confederate flag now.
It's probably more to do with actual complaints, If someone complains to the council then you're more than likely to get a letter about it.

The media tend to muddy the waters quite a lot regarding race issues, particularly regarding the EU and the birth of "Social Justice".
The Flag has nowhere near as many racial connotations as it did during the 1980s... It had some serious problems back then up until the late '90s during the "Cool Britannia" period, since then it's been widely adopted as a national pride type thing.
I can't get no...