General Music News

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: General music news

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
There's been classics since 2008. Actually hip hop is better than 2008.

You can judge a classic immediately. When you look at stuff hailed as instant classics by The Source and XXL, everything holds up but that Lil Kim album Source gave 5 mics for some reason.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

So Sony have licensing rights for Princes music. I'm assuming this is for unreleased recordings

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/princ ... 202848408/

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's cool, its the NPG releases and I'm assuming Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic which was on Arista. 20Ten and Planet Earth came free here with newspapers. I believe one was the Mail and the other the Mirror.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

America loves Billy Joel. The rest of the world, not so much, although he was popular.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thriller is still the #1 selling album of all-time worldwide, estimated at 66 million copies. I have heard estimates of 100 million plus too. I think only major record stores sales were calculated via soundscan so that skews the numbers somewhat too. Motown didn't even declare their sales figures to the RIAA as Berry paid artists tiny royalty rates and any Gold record was just one spray painted that colour as the figures weren't official. So who knows the real figures the J5 and Mike solo sold there. For me the tone of the article pisses me off as it downplays MJs accomplishment. Thriller and this has been documented as fact kick started record sales across the board as folks buying Thriller picked up other artists albums too. So culturally and ecomononically Thriller is a massive record. If journalists did some simple research they'd understand how impactful it actually was to the music industry.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The numbers prior to 1991 aren't very accurate until Soundscan began. So I think Thriller sold a ton more than what they say official. Practically everyone owns Thriller and some bought on vinyl, cassette and CD and maybe even also on iTunes.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea I agree. It was also reissued twice first time in like 2001 with bonus tracks then Thriller 25 with the remixes. I'm assuming one day we'll get a deluxe edition box set with all the songs recorded around that time. There's

Starlight (Starlight Sun) original demo of Thriller
Nite Line
Girl is Mine (solo version)
Trouble
Slapstick
Carousel (full version, written by Michael Sembello)
Hot Street

I think only really Carousel could have made it on Thriller but I don't know where you'd configure it in. Do you take out Girl is Mine with Sir Paul, that's unlikely. I think it is similar to Human Nature so it most likely was replaced by that.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... album-sony

Few places have said Sony admitted they were fake but other sources theyve denied it. You can hear they don't sound like Mike IMO. The "fake" MJ is most likely Jason Malachi and/or Alfonz(o) Jones. He was a backing vocalist credited on Behind the Mask and made two very MJ like LPs.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It's a shame Lauryn never capitalised on the success of Miseducation. I think she made some misinformed decisions but in theory she could have been the premiere female R&B artist still to this day. Watched a concert of hers recently from Lagos on a satellite station and it was kinda sad to see how she's fell off as she was performing in front of like 150-200 people. She had the talent to be a superstar and had crossover appeal but it all just fizzled out. Maybe if she had better PR & management they'd have steered her in the right direction. But nonetheless Miseducation still stands up today and is a great album.

Will add my thoughts on P.E. later, one of the all time great hip hop groups for sure.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ll-249020/

That article looks deep into her life and career 1999-2003 and is interesting.

Also check out that Public Enemy box set if you haven't. The first 6 albums are remastered and you can hear better clarity of the sample layers and hear stuff you can't on the original mixes. Remasters are hits and misses but this made the albums even better. Bomb Squad put so much work in those first three productions and Ice Cube's AmeriKKKaz Most Wanted from 1990.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I've only heard the first song but it's already better than that godawful embarrassment Revival.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

BET Bobby Brown story starts on Sept 4th in the US if I'm correct. We get it the 14th and 15th of Sept. The New Edition one was great and well worth checking out too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

If Prince was alive he'd be flying to where they are at now so he could beat Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo with his cane.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »