Music documentaries/videos/concert topic

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Music documentaries/videos/concert topic

Post by Big Boss Man »

Find something cool on YouTube share it here. I'll start it off with the late great Marc Bolan and T.Rex

Directed by Ringo~!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Music documentaries/videos/concert topic

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

All the Kings Men, a 5hr doc about the "Memphis Mafia"

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Saw that on BBC4 the other day, really good doc

Too $hort

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I used to love $hortdog as a kid. Him rapping on Ant Banks beats doesn't get enough love today. For some reason he's a guy you just don't think to relisten to. Actually Ant's entire mid-90s production discography: Spice-1, Rappin-4-Tay, Dru Down, South Central Cartel, were all forgotten.

That's one thing that always bugged me about hip hop: there's not enough memory given to the prior generations unless you're a hardcore fan. Rock always had classic radio stations, but only Sirius has one (and they play too much of the same stuff, I got so sick of hearing Tribe Called Quest every other song.)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea there's a lot of rappers and groups on what you could call hip hops landfill who deserve a ton more credit. Especially $hort because he's one of the OGs of rap. Definitely agree there needs to be more hip hop history lesson(s). Guys like Scarface don't get much credit either even Cube is seen more as a movie actor now when at one time he was arguably ahead of the game when he dropped Amerikkkas Most Wanted. So it's not just the unsung guys like Too $hort but Ice Cube, Ice T et al.

Those names you mentioned I recognise and to my knowledge only 4Tay had a hit with a Sample of Its A Shame. Guys like Tim Westwood played some obscure things but it was mostly mainstream hip hop which got any play on radio even on his show. I think music is now more about the "now" unless a label can repackage and re-release it like they do with Elvis, The Beatles, Beach Boys etc. A hip hop classics station with a varied playlist and not just Tupac, Biggie et al would be cool because there's a ton of unsung artists who put out some great music but never really broke out in the mainstream. VH-1 used to do that Hip Hop Honors but even then it honoured guys who had mainstream success.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

They still have the Hip Hop Honors. Master P was the headline inductee this year. He was awful, but it was amazing how he built No Limit from nothing when in America it's incredibly rare for an indie label to be able to get #1 albums (the only other ones I can think of was Priority with Ice Cube's The Predator, Ruthless with NWA's Niggaz4life, Epitaph with Offspring's Smash and Rap-A-Lot with Scarface's Untouchable.) But No Limit was more impressive since P went from selling tapes out of his car to #1 albums in 4 years because he was a brilliant, self-taught businessman yet awful rapper.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK cool we don't get them here now. Master P turned No Limit into an empire. There's a good Louis Theroux doc where he talks with P and tries to get signed to No Limit. He also had a sports management company and I think he tried to get a NBA contract at one point too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

His sports management firm was a disaster. Jay-Z hired people who know what they're doing to give him advice. P's ego was huge in 1999 so he thought he didn't need any advice, because if he did great business moves in music and his straight to video movies, he could do sports too. He signed Ricky Williams, which was enormous because he was the most talked about player in college football. He ended up making a deal for a contract so bad they teach classes about it in management college courses. So nobody would go near him after that. And Rocafella took over No Limit around that time too.

And yeah, he actually was a pretty good basketball player but he had a really bad knee. He got a college scholarship for basketball in the late 80s but tore his ACL. He was on the Hornets but got cut during the pre-season. But that's still damn good to be an older rookie (he was 30 IIRC) and make it that far.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

If you can access All4 they have the new docu-movie about George Michael called "Freedom"

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Prince A Purple Reign

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

David Bowies Glass Spider concert. Like Princes Lovesexy tour Its split over two VHS releases too for some reason.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The Oasis Supersonic doc is on tonight on BBC2 and iPlayer. The Beatles doc is coming up on Channel 4 in the New Year.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I saw Supersonic when it came out. It was pretty good, but they really should have covered the making of Be Here Now since it's intriguing that it was such a historical disaster and could never happen again, as no rock band is ever going to be big enough where their label is afraid to tell them their album is terrible. And the chapter on it in the Creation Records book was amazing by how everybody at the label says they knew it was bad but we're too afraid of Noel to say anything. And how everybody was paranoid because from band to label employees they were wrecks on cocaine.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

They should have covered Be Here Now. Only Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory got any coverage but they are their most successful albums. Maybe they didn't want to talk about. Liam's no show on MTV Unplugged didn't get mentioned either to my knowledge. Like Noelsaid they should have went out on a high after WTSMG and then did solo projects. Theres talk of them getting back together but not sure how well Oasis in 2018 will be received. The whole Britpop/Cool Britannia ship has sailed. I'd like to see them come back and add some substance to music again. An older Liam and Noel working together and putting out a mature Oasis record, think a White album era Beatles would be good. They need to avoid making WTSMG Vol 2 and perhaps go back to the Definitely Maybe era. I like that album more so than Glory in some aspects, seems more raw.