The Music Chart Thread

TV, movies, music, comics
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Music Chart Thread

Post by Bandit » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:55 pm

They do but the record label gets a big chunk before the artist even gets their piece to split with their management, co-writers, producers, etc. The record labels signed with streaming services on their own so it was a deal to their advantage. It's up to the artist to try to renegotiate, but only a few like Taylor Swift had the power to do so.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:57 am

Thanks, yea I read something a few years back about how little money artists are making from Spotify. I know Prince wasn't down with YouTube etc but his music was on Tidal. In theory Taylor Swift and other top level artists could set up their own streaming services and make more money. Ideally you need to be an artist who writes, produces, engineers, release music on your own label then you wouldn't have to split money elsewhere. But even then no ones going to get rich from streaming services which is why majority of artists tour and make money through sponsorships etc.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:24 am

Tidal hasn't been very successful so I don't think people want to bother trying to take on Apple and Spotify and now SiriusXM putting lots of money into Pandora, which will get them installed in new cars since SiriusXM has those deals in the US. Tidal offered exclusive content, but it just can't compete where you've got gigantic catalogs of nearly everyone on competitors services. When they do stuff like an exclusive Jay-Z album people will subscribe for a month with a free trial and cancel. So Swift was smarter to just use leverage to get a better deal than spend money on a start up that could never turn a profit.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 am

Yea that's true. In theory its really the labels deciding whether an artists music is available. If Prince got his WB masters back he could have pulled all those albums from Spotify and streamed them on his website. From memory I cant think of an artist(s) who completely own their masters, publishing etc. Frank Zappa maybe, but I believe Sony have the rights to one or a few of his albums. So when labels own your masters they can do with them as they see fit. MJ should have got his masters from Epic/CBS and kept 100% control of his publishing. But Sony/ATV own it all now sadly. Sony have the Elvis catalog, Whitney, Princes NPG era music and soon they'll get his WB songs and albums, Bruce Springsteen etc. I don't think Taylor owns her masters and likely her management are in control over decisions regarding her music. MJ was real savvy picking up the Beatles catalogue but in the end he was forced to do those 50 shows which sadly I think were too much pressure. One show on worldwide TV like Elvis from Aloha was should have been enough or put it on PPV. I think his career was mismanaged and still find it weird John Branca came back into the picture & is the executor of his estate. The whole Spotify thing reminds me of something I read in one of the Motown books where Berry Gordy had his artists on the industries lowest royalty rates.