The Music Charts Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The Music Charts Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Rick Astley scores first Official Albums Chart Number 1 in 29 years

11 new entries debut including new albums from Paul McCartney and Nick Jonas.

One of the closest fought battles in recent memory on the Official Albums Chart has led to Rick Astley claiming his first Number 1 in 29 years.

50, Rick's first studio album in 11 years, tussled with Tom Odell's second studio album Wrong Crowd all week, the Number 1 changing several times in the last seven days.

"It’s amazing, it’s incredible, it’s been a very very VERY long time since this happened before! I’m ecstatic, I couldn’t be happier”, said Rick, who was presented with his Number 1 Award by OfficialCharts.com alongside The Sun's Associate Editor, Dan Wootton.

Rick took an early lead during the first two days of the sales window but Tom had taken over by Monday. Tom was ahead by just 14 chart sales on Wednesday, with Rick overcoming the odds on Thursday to take back the top spot. The Never Gonna Give You Up star then enjoyed a strong final day to finish 3,700 combined chart sales ahead.

Although Tom was most purchased in independent record shops and secured more digital and streaming equivalent sales, Rick raced ahead on physical formats.

Rick told OfficialCharts.com that he is a huge fan of Tom's: "I like Tom Odell, I bought his last album, and I’m gonna buy this one as well, but I’ve held off from buying it this week! It’s amazing to be mentioned in the same breath as him."

50 was already certain to be Rick's first Top 10 album in 25 years, but managed to go one better, becoming Rick's first chart topper in nearly three decades. His last Number 1 album was his debut Whenever You Need Somebody, in 1988.
New entries and high climbers

Aside from Rick Astley and Tom Odell, another nine new albums hit the Top 40 this week. Paul McCartney's fourth compilation album Pure McCartney is new at 3, ELO's All Over The World – The Very Best Of leaps 131 places to a new peak of Number 4 ahead of their Glastonbury legends slot, and Drake's Views rounds out the Top 5.

Beverley Knight scores a fourth Top 10 album with Soulsville at 9, and Gilbert O'Sullivan's The Essential Collection makes a strong debut at 11.

Rival Sons achieve their highest charting album with Hollow Bones at 13, and following the release of their new single Beautiful Thing, The Stone Roses' The Very Best Of rockets 77 places to Number 15.

Garbage's Strange Little Birds becomes their seventh UK Top 20 (17), plus Red Hot Chilli Peppers return to the Top 40: their Greatest Hits (19) vaults 97 places ahead of the release of new album The Getaway, released today.

Nick Jonas' Last Year Was Complicated and Kaleo's A/B - are new at 25 and 27 respectively. Beach Boys are sandwiched between them; their classic album Pet Sounds climbs 63 rungs to 26 in celebration of its 50th anniversary.

Finally, Bruce Springsteen's Greatest Hits returns to the Top 40, up 19 to 29, Motorhead's final live album Clean Your Clock charges to 36 and Band of Horses' Why Are You OK is new at 37.

Source: Official Charts

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Music Chart Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Delta Goodrem, The Veronicas Crowned Australian Chart Leaders

It’s a big chart week for Australian female pop artists with Delta Goodrem and The Veronicas snatching top spot on the respective albums and singles surveys Down Under.

Goodrem’s Wings Of The Wild (Sony Music) flies in at No. 1 on the ARIA Albums Chart to give the singer-songwriter her fourth chart topper. Wings Of The Wild is Goodrem’s first album since Child Of The Universe, which peaked at No. 2 in November 2012, and her first No. 1 since Delta hit the summit in October 2007.

It’s the latest highlight in a stellar domestic career which has already seen Goodrem amass 23-times platinum sales (career global record sales exceed eight million, according to Sony Music), 17 top 10 hits, 14 ARIA Awards and nine No. 1 singles, including the Wings of the Wild track "Wings," which hit the top last August.

“I am so proud of this album. It’s the first time that I took on the producing reigns and it’s the first release through my new label House Of Oz Records,” Goodrem says. “It truly represents who and where I am right now.”

Eleven titles debut inside the top 50 on this week’s chart, including the entire top three. Blink-182's seventh studio album California (Liberation/Universal) opens at No. 2, equaling the punk rockers' previous best effort with Neighborhoods (October 2011) and Take Off Your Pants And Jacket (June 2001). California is the trio's first release with vocalist/guitarist Matt Skiba after founding member Tom DeLonge left the band.

Sydney boyband In Stereo’s The Speed Of Sound (Warner) opens at No. 3, while Red Hot Chili Peppers’ The Getaway (Warner) drops 1-4, and Adele’s 25 (XL/Inertia) slips 3-5.

Meanwhile, The Veronicas score their third No. 1 on the ARIA Singles Chart with “In My Blood” (Sony Music), which climbs 3-1 in its fourth week on the survey and ends Drake’s seven week reign. The Veronicas, comprised of twins Lisa and Jessica Origliasso, have previously led the Singles Chart with “Hook Me Up” (November 2007) and “You Ruin Me” (September 2014). “In My Blood” is the first single lifted from the Veronicas’ as-yet-untitled forthcoming fourth studio album. According to Denis Handlin, chairman & CEO Australia & New Zealand and President, Asia, Sony Music Entertainment, the singers are currently recording the new album which the music major will release later this year.

The top five is rounded out by Drake's hit “One Dance” (Republic/Universal) down 1-2; Justin Timberlake’s “Can’t Stop the Feeling" (RCA/Sony), up 4-3; Calvin Harris Feat. Rihanna's “This Is What You Came For” (Columbia/Sony), down 2-4; and Drake Feat. Rihanna’s “Too Good,” which is unchanged at No. 5.

The week’s highest entry is Fergie’s comeback track “M.I.L.F. $,” (Interscope/Universal), which starts at No. 26. It’s the Black Eyed Peas singer and rapper’s first entry on the survey since “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody (All We Got)”, lifted from the soundtrack to The Great Gatsby, which peaked at No. 43 in June 2013.

Source: Billboard

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The only reason I've heard the song is because they play the ad for his album about 20 times during each AFL game for some reason. The song is OK but no way should it be a record breaker, even though the songs it could beat are shit.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Ed Sheeran has 16 songs in the UK top 20. Numbers 1 to 6 are by him. In Australia he has 5 songs in the top 10 including the top 2 songs and another 4 in the top 20. He also has another 7 tracks in the top 40. A few weeks ago he had the top 3 songs.

The charts are fucked.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't get the Ed Sheeran thing at all. He just flat out sucks.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yes, he is very bland.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

And he's an ugly ginger so it's not like a Drake thing where women pretend he's good because he's handsome. It makes no sense.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Apparently he's banged some of Taylor Swift's "squad", who are dumb as fuck but are usually fairly hot, so playing guitar and writing girly songs with shitty lyrics overrides being an ugly ginger.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't think the new remixed version sounds any better than the remastered one that came out a few years ago. But the different Takes on the box set are cool. But like all things Beatles it's definitely worth checking out.

And Revolver >>>>>>>>>>>> Sgt. Pepper, so where's that box set?

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea I haven't had a listen yet but remaster usually equals brick walled nowadays. I think record labels love to repackage hit albums over and over again to get the maximum mileage of them. Like there's about 6-7 variations of Pet Sounds for example. I think with some albums they deserve a real remaster say the original album is a poor AAD version which is an analog source put onto CD. A lot of 80s CDs are like that. But some are actually superior to current releases. Its all down to who's mixing the records. If the late Sir George Martin had remastered this Sgt Pepper release it would be definitely worth checking out. I also think they should release the original stems of the tracks so fans can remix their own Sgt Pepper. Because a lot of remixes/remastered is down to the individuals ear. Say every BGer remixed it to our preference each would be different so a Sir George Martin remaster/remix should be the definitive mix. Also Sgt Pepper was the Beatles "Smile" and is universally praised as their best album amongst critics. Revolver and Rubber Soul are more "fan favourites".

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

but remaster usually equals brick walled nowadays.
I agree. I got the remaster of Soundgarden's Superunknown last week and it sounds horrible.

But the Beatles remixes from a few years ago were amazing, they really showed how good Ringo was. And this sounds good (Martin's son Giles did it, and he did the Love remixes.) But I just don't think it improved it much. But the different Takes are interesting.
Also Sgt Pepper was the Beatles "Smile" and is universally praised as their best album amongst critics. Revolver and Rubber Soul are more "fan favourites".
It's good. A Day in the Life might be their best song. But it's not perfect like Revolver. But that they could do those records back to back is the amazing part.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Another thing sometimes they used bad mastertapes for the remasters too. For example the Curtis Mayfield albums on Charly are definitely worth a miss. The 2fer1's on Kent/Ace are much better. Good to hear they kept it in the family so to speak and let Giles Martin remaster the album. Sonically I think with a quality remaster you get to hear things that on the regular mastering you miss. I like hearing outtakes, some are more curiosity value like studio chatter, but there can sometimes be some hidden gems. Also I think back in the day The Beatles and The Beach Boys were like not feuding with each other but Brian was competing either directly or indirectly with John & Paul so a lot of that time frame was a game of oneupmanship between Brian and Lennon/McCartney. I think if Smile had been finished it would have predated Sgt Pepper, but in hindsight there's only really 'Good Vibrations' that was a game changer. I think too much time was spent on that one song alone and it wouldn't have been out of place on a Beatles record and the whole shift from Surf, Cars & Girls the Beach Boys were doing to psychedelia was definitely influenced by the Beatles too. I think had Brian Wilson had the full support of Mike Love and let him go in that direction and kept working with Van Dyke Parks the maybe 'Smile' would have got the same critical plaudits Sgt Pepper did. Instead it was thought of as mythical type record. Brian completed his version in like 2005 IIRC and the 'Beautiful Dreamer' doc about the record is definitely recommended. Back to the Beatles I think they released quality records across the board and they have some really great songs in their discography.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Smile was fantastic, but I don't think it would have been a hit. Good Vibrations is the only single that AM Radio liked. Nobody wanted to play Heroes & Villains, and they put out Surf's Up in 1972 and nobody would touch it. Smile is a suite you have to hear all of to understand. It's too one of a kind to be that popular. It's like with Prince's Parade, nobody could make anything that sounded like that because both albums were singular works of genius, so beyond the one big hit single nobody knew what to do with it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

In hindsight Pet Sounds wasn't a hit at the time but it had radio friendly singles. Definitely agree about Smile. GV is the only song which would really appeal to radio. Surfs Up has a haunting quality to it there's a vid on YT of Brian performing it on TV and that would have been a great closing track to Smile. I think there's quite abit of instrumental music on Smile to tie everything together. H&V could have been released as a single but worked more in the album format. I think BW thought the album was jinxed when there was fires around the area when they did Mrs Olearys Cow. It's surprisingly much of it survived as Brian apparently wanted the masters wiped. I read a book about Smilel
a few years back which details what went down and shows the original album art.

Very good point about it being seen as a suite of songs. I think Princes Rainbow Children is more akin to Smile which has a storyline dynamic running through it. Parade too I guess as he references Christopher Tracy quite a few times in some of the songs. It's also one of Princes best albums IMO and songs like Kiss, Girls and Boys, Mountains, Anotherlover... I Wonder U have hit potential. "Sometimes it snows in April" too but again it depends on the audience. Parade if it had included Love or $ and Alexa De Paris would have made it an even stronger record. I think creatively Parade is more ambitious that Purple Rain its more in the same vein as ATWIAD which is very Beatlesesque with"Paisley Park". Following on from PR, it would have been super easy to have made PR 2 and even PR 3 and becoming even more popular in the mainstream.

But I think if you go out to make an all hit record it makes it too formulaic and Prince woul have been a parody of himself recording variations of Purple Rain. So doing a 180 and putting out ATWIAD was a big deal where he could have went on cruise control and rested on his laurels. I think maybe Sign O The Times after PR would have been more commercially successful but I think Prince was more driven by the musical artistry.

Back to Smile I think its kinda sad how it got fragmented where songs ended up on other records. I think Brian's version of Smile with the Wondermints involved is really the definitive version. Had they used the original vocal tracks I think it would have made it the album it should have been back in the 60s. I like the seque which leads from H&V into Plymouth Rock IIRC.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

In hindsight Pet Sounds wasn't a hit at the time but it had radio friendly singles.
I think in England it was big, and they've always appreciated Brian a lot more. But in the US I think it was too much of a shock to people. The Beatles slowly worked their way from pop group to more serious music in the Please Please Me to Rubber Soul being a departure but still poppy to Revolver being revolutionary run up over 3 years. But Beach Boys went from Barbra Ann straight into Wouldn't It Be Nice. And God Only Knows didn't get the airplay it should have, because America was still pretty conservative in 1966, so stations were afraid they'd get complaints from idiot Christians going "He's taking the lord's name in vain!" to put it in heavy rotation like Yesterday got played every hour immediately here.
H&V could have been released as a single but worked more in the album format.
It got printed up in 1967. Brian personally took it to the biggest AM Radio station in Los Angeles and the guy shit on it for being too weird and too long which scared him off.
Back to Smile I think its kinda sad how it got fragmented where songs ended up on other records. I think Brian's version of Smile with the Wondermints involved is really the definitive version. Had they used the original vocal tracks I think it would have made it the album it should have been back in the 60s. I like the seque which leads from H&V into Plymouth Rock IIRC.
I've got the box set where they strung it back together after Brian found notations from 1967 about it, and that's a lot better IMO. The Wondermints version is too stripped down compared to how massive the songs are on the box set. It's an album that should be gigantic like he was able to do with the LA Wrecking Crew studio band. And Brian's voice sounds better, plus you've got Carl.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I've got the two disc 'Smile' but there's like a 5 disc, 2 LP set which includes a lot more. In retrospect again there isn't the same wow factor that Sgt Pepper had and still has. What they were doing was cutting edge stuff and whilst Brian had the great Wrecking Crew on board he wasn't really exploring sound like The Beatles were. 'Smile' as a whole is a great concept record which you can cut up and paste around & make something new out because of the extensive work into it but and I can see Mike Love's point about it, it's not really a commercial record. Again I think maybe if they edited it down H&V could have been a single, there's only H&V, Good Vibrations and arguably Cabin Essence, Wonderful & Surf's Up which have potential as a single. If Brian had made songs more in the vein of Good Vibrations, it would have been much more stronger. Going back to 'Pet Sounds', the Beach Boys have been received really well here over the years and Brian Wilson is often rightly lauded as a genius by the music press. If he hadn't got too into LSD etc I think Brian would have been a much better producer and songwriter because getting into heavy drugs and his Smile project imploding really was the beginning of the end musically sadly. The drink and drugs also ruined his voice and Dennis but with Dennis his husky voice suited the songs on Pacific Ocean Blue. I think Brian had poetic justice completing 'Smile' with Van Dyke Parks et al in 2004 and I think that version has a much more 'happier' tone to it if thats the right word. The 67/68 Smile is a little 'darker' and there's a lot of psychedelic undertones to a lot of the songs.

I think had they maybe redone some of it and sequenced it the way the 2004 record is, where it's all tied together and isn't fragmented like the original plus if they had the Wrecking Crew backing, Carl's vocals, the younger Brian etc then it would have been a more cohesive record. I honestly don't think if it was released pre Sgt Pepper like it was going to be that it would have received the same plaudits from the critics that Pepper did. Brian really needed a Lennon to his McCartney as him being a one-man show so to speak meant he had the weight of the whole project to carry on his own where no one else outside of maybe Van Dyke knew where he was going creatively. I think 'Smile' is really ahead of it's time musically & creatively, it's almost a proto-concept album like Genesis were doing in the early Peter Gabriel days or an early Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett, but commercially and in the eyes of the mainstream outside of "Good Vibrations" it doesn't have the sing alongness of 'With a little help by my friends' and a classic like 'A Day in the Life', if Brian Wilson had followed a format moreso in vein of thinking of what would be appealing to a mass audience then 'Smile' would have knocked it out of the park. Really The Beatles had the edge in terms of they had already gone down a different route with doing away with the catchy 2 minute pop-rock hits and the Beach Boys had only started to do so with Pet Sounds. Plus again Brian needed a collaborator who could explore his ideas further and found a way to connect all the dots because a lot of 'Smile' has a fragmented piece together quality to it and apparently that was how it was originally recorded in pieces which is why there's so many fan mixes of it because of it's cut & paste nature. Today it would simple to connect it all up with Pro Tools but back then with tapes & splicing it would have taken ages to do.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

In retrospect again there isn't the same wow factor that Sgt Pepper had and still has. What they were doing was cutting edge stuff and whilst Brian had the great Wrecking Crew on board he wasn't really exploring sound like The Beatles were.
I think the difference was the Beatles were all intellectually curious and Brian wasn't. I wouldn't call him dumb, but he definitely had limited interest to music he liked, cars and sports. I remember the guy he hired to set up his record label during Smile said Van Dyke's friends all thought he was an idiot and couldn't figure out why VDP liked him so much since he was an intellectual and Brian hadn't appeared to have read many books. Whereas the Beatles took pride in being intelligent working class guys who were happy to travel because poor people like they used to be can't travel, whereas Brian never left his mansion after 1964 until the late 70s when he started performing live again. Brian grew up upper middle class and didn't even want to travel because he couldn't imagine anywhere else could be as good as California, so there'd never have been a "Brian goes to India and it inspires him to write a new album" moment. He just liked American music and thought it was good enough to never go further than big band, doo wop and early rock n roll.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The top 20 MTV, The Box and BET videos from this week 25 years ago.

MTV
1. Aerosmith - Cryin'
2. Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
3. UB40 - Can't Help Falling In Love With You
4. Onyx - Slam
5. U2 - Numb
6. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul To Squeeze
7. Stone Temple Pilots - Wicked Garden
8. Tony! Toni! Tone! - If I Had No Loot
9. Blind Melon - No Rain
10. Mariah Carey - Dreamlover
11. Shai - Baby I'm Yours
12. Janet Jackson - If
13. Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
14. REM - Everybody Hurts
15. Radiohead - Creep
16. Dr. Dre - Dre Day
17. Michael Jackson - Will You Be There?
18. Duran Duran - Too Much Information
19. Cypress Hill - Insane In The Brain
20. Porno For Pyro - Pets

BET
1. Kris Kross - Alright
2. Ice Cube - Check Yourself (remix)
3.Shanice - It's For You
4. 2pac - I Get Around
5. Janet Jackson - If
6. Silk - Girl U For Me
7. Jodeci - Lately
8. Toni Braxton - Another Sad Love Song