Australian TV Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Australian TV Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A thread for news about Australian TV channels and shows.

Viceland to replace SBS 2

SBS 2 is set to be rebadged as VICELAND with content from US-Canadian youth Vice Media from late 2016.

New shows covering culture, music, sports, fashion, technology will screen.

According to SBS, “The new channel will be owned and operated by SBS, leveraging the distinctive creativity and experience of both VICE and SBS creative teams. It will be on the SBS 2 channel spectrum and online platforms, available to all Australians for free. Programming will focus on a distinct, immersive style of original lifestyle and culture content for young viewers and will feature Australian-produced programs.”

Local commissions including The Feed, plus international News are expected to remain, with the channel to be owned and operated by SBS.

Michael Ebeid, SBS managing director and CEO, said: “Exploring diversity through culture is at the heart of SBS’s purpose and we are excited to be partnering with Vice to bring some of the best available content from across the world, never before seen in Australia, in documentary, journalism and inspiring entertainment, free to all Australians on SBS channels and platforms.”

Michael Slonim, Vice Australia managing director, said: “This is a unique partnership that will help catapult Vice further into the consciousness of young Australians. SBS shares our storytelling sensibilities and curiosity about the world, and we’re delighted to be partnering up to bring Viceland to this market in the biggest way possible.”

Overseen by Spike Jonze as co-president, Viceland launched in the US in February and features titles including Gaycation, Huang’s World, Noisey, F*ck That’s Delicious, Weediquette, Balls Deep and more.

Vice Australia launched in 2003 with editorial and video programming for youth audiences.

Source: TV Tonight

Vice is OK but hopefully they keep some of their current programming.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Australian TV Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

GO! in 2 year deal for Adult Swim

Nine has signed a 2 year deal with Turner Broadcasting for Adult Swim animations to screen late nights on GO!

Titles such as Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Harvey Birdman, Robot Chicken, Squidbillies and The Venture Bros will air in blocks from 11:30pm each Sunday night, from this weekend. They will also be available through Catch-Up and Live streaming on 9NOW.

The outrageous titles are known for their unashamed shock value and gross-out humour, all to the delight of their target audience of Millennials.

Nine Director of Acquisitions, Hamish Turner, tells TV Tonight, “The reason we went down this path is we felt like it was something different, for an audience who aren’t necessarily serviced on Free to Air commercials a this point in time. But it also provides a good opportunity to build the audience through 9NOW and its offering.

“So it’s not really a ratings thing at all, it sits there for 52 weeks a year to try to build up a bit of a loyal following for that style of comedy.”

The deal marks the Free-to-Air debut for many of the shows, including Rick and Morty, Adult Swim’s hit animation from Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, which will debut later in the year.

“Some of the brands have been on Foxtel, but some will be premieres. We’ll start at the beginning (of seasons), but there is no real pressure to knock it out of the park. It’s about having a consistent offering there for 104 weeks and we fully expect to continue the partnership post-that.”

Nine has also picked up the local format rights to FishCentre which sees comedians voicing ‘live’ fish.

“Each of the Adult Swim blocks will be headed by our real live fish and we voice them with some improv banter,” Turner explains.

“But the identities of the voices is, at this point, anonymous!”

Meanwhile Turner concedes GO!’s local reality series The NRL Rookie has under-performed on Tuesday nights.

“I thought it was a well-produced show, but for whatever reason the audience hasn’t gravitated to it,” he said.

Later broadcasts paired with State of Origin and NRL have helped lift total numbers. The battle amongst multichannels has hotted up in recent months, with the arrival of 9Life, 7flix and SBS Food Network, sometimes accompanying primary channels to a network win.

But Turner says performance is ranked more precisely.

“Each of the multis has a very specific target so they are measured on demographic performance against their target, as opposed to the Totals,” he explains.

“I barely look at Total People anymore, to be honest.”

With its proudly under-grad humour, Adult Swim looks set to entertain a very specific audience indeed.

“It’s pretty zany and irreverent, not taking ourselves too seriously.”

Adult Swim begins 11:30pm Sunday on GO!

Source: TV Tonight

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I demand this thread be about nothing but Neighbours and home and away!

(Ok that's a bit harsh, I'll allow chaser stuff too)
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Australian TV actor Ross Higgins dies, 85

Australian TV actor Ross Higgins who was best known for playing Ted Bullpit in Kingswood Country has died.

The actor was also well known for his radio career and voiceover work.

Tributes to the esteemed personality are flooding in on social media.

Ross Higgins' entertainment industry career began in 1946, when he took a cadetship at Sydney's Radio 2GB at the age of 16. This led to an on-air announcing position, and hosting of breakfast, and later, evening variety shows.

During the 1960s, he consolidated his position as a leading voiceover artist, creating character voices for TV and radio ads and cartoons.

Throughout the 1970s, he and voiceover colleague Kevin Golsby dominated Australian airwaves in the voiceover field, and while enjoying this success another break-through role came in 1977, where he and Goldsby were key regular performers in sketch comedy series The Naked Vicar Show.

Source: Yahoo7

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

:frown:
The most quoted Australian actor, character and show in my family.

Bloody Shambles of course.
Someone should BLOW ___ UP!!!
Hate, hate, Vomit!

Ross Higgins lines were quoted even more than all of the castle!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

SBS 2 is set to be rebadged as VICELAND with content from US-Canadian youth Vice Media from late 2016.

New shows covering culture, music, sports, fashion, technology will screen.
They misspelled "a bunch of shows involving marijuana".

And Adult Swim needs Eric Andre Show reruns. I like Rick & Morty, but without Andre or the various Tim Heidecker shows it's not the same thing.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yes, Viceland shows are usually about drugs, being gay or being a teen exorcist.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Wow, no The Simpsons on the Ten Network for the first time since 1991

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Welp.. 10 are fucked... Stay tuned for countless episodes of the Simpsons, because here on channel 10, we got nothing else!!!!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

When CBS take over fully they'll be OK. They will probably put money into things that aren't shitty reality shows, which is good.

Until then though, it will be non-stop Waleed Aly & Grant Denyer!

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

Big Bash starting soon in a couple of months will help them out. Original contract cost them nothing and rates its pants off.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've watched my first new(ish) Australian show in YEARS.. Here Come The Habibs. It's pretty great, Made by Tahir Bilgiç of Pizza, Fat Pizza, Swift and Shift Couriers, Housos and Bogan Hunters fame.

The show is pretty good.. Lebs are funny as it is.. But Lebs that take the shit out of themselves are fucking hilarious (which is why all of the shows Tahir was in were so great) :rofl:
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ABC 2 is becoming ABC Comedy starting December 4. That's pretty cool. Hopefully it has lots of Red Dwarf, IT Crowd & That 70s Show on it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Here's a new show on Ten next year that you might like, ian.
Street Smart.

Street Smart features a gang of astonishingly inept criminals. While they fancy themselves as the next Ocean’s Eleven, their bumbling antics align the group more accurately with the World’s Dumbest Criminals. Starring Tahir Bilgic (Pizza, Swift and Shift Couriers) as gang leader Steve and Rob Shehadie (Housos) as his nemesis Joe the parking officer, Street Smart offers a hilarious and unpredictable trip into the world of disorganised crime in the Australian suburbs. Street Smart is produced by CJZ and has received principal production investment from Screen Australia in association with Create NSW.