Red Dwarf Thread (Spoilers)

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Red Dwarf Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

The first episode Cured is OK. I'd give it like a 3 out of 5. Some funny bits with most from Cat. Danny seems the most into the new Red Dwarf scenes so maybe that's why he's being singled out. Rimmer seems to be treading water and his classic put downs are almost entirely absent, Kryten and Lister are at least trying but I think they still aren't firing on all cylinders. It's more like them being a Red Dwarf cover band and when they are the real deal. I can't fault Cats performance he was the MVP of series XI by a mile and so far he's on track for MVP again. The rest seem a little disinterested perhaps it's the scripts as so far there hasn't been a new RD classic episode or moment. It's great Red Dwarf is back but like when they brought back Only Fools and Horses it's just something isn't the same. To paraphrase Spock "It's Red Dwarf, but not as we know it"

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

From the first episode, I agree with you Big Boss Man

It's Red Dwarf, but it's not as funny as it always was. From red dwarf, I expect a good laugh AT LEAST once per minute (28 laughs per episode). not 2 genuine laughs, a few chuckles and a few smiles..

Some of the jokes are strikingly similar to old series, and the fan service is somewhat lacking...
Maybe it's time to tell us how Rimmer escaped at the end of series 8, and get Lister with kochanski and back to earth.. :ocry:

I'm hopeful for a classic RD moment... series 11 didn't have one.. but back to earth AND season 10 did, so 5 episodes for something good to happen. If nothing special grabs me, I'll consider series 10 as the LAST of red dwarf.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yep some really good points you've made. I think Craig said they are open to making more Red Dwarf because of the ratings being so good. I think though unless they manage to up the quality level in terms of the jokes etc they should conclude it. Red Dwarf has never really followed much of a traditional storyline as it jumps around and doesn't really answer any questions or mention things like what has happened to Listers twin sons, how Rimmer is back etc so it's more like The Simpsons as it's based on like a moment. They should get Lister and Chrissy back together and tie up all the loose ends. Something like the old Time Slides but this time everything has a happy ending because whilst it's nice to see the guys back it's like an old band coming back and putting out an album of songs which sound like their hits but no where near as good. Hopefully things will pick up though

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Watched the second episode last night and this episode, IMO is great, classic Red Dwarf. I won't say anymore so not to give away any spoilers but it's like an episode that would have fit in an earlier season good.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

In a nutshell my reaction to the third episode unfortunately

C'mon Red Dwarf step your game up!!!

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Good news on the Red Dwarf front. Episode 4 and 5 are both good. Not classic RD but better than series XI. I would say more but no spoiler tags unfortunately.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Red Dwarf Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've added "Spoilers" to the title, so now people have been warned.

Mr. Rat!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I really liked the last 2 episodes. This season a lot of the humour feels like its coming from Cat. Almost every single one of his lines makes me laugh.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yep I said earlier in the topic Cat is the funniest character now.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

If it's gonna be like the last 2 episodes of RD and they bring back Holly

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

That last episode... FUCKING INCREDIBLE. up there with very best of the best of Red dwarf..

we're talking kryten, backwards, gunmen, back to reality, stoke me a clipper, meltdown, pete, quarantine red dwarf!!!

Holly was the cake. (I knew it was coming when he wasn't in ep 5)
Cpt Hollister was the icing on the cake.
And holly telling Rimmer "nobody is dead arnold" was the cherry and sprinkles and sugar on top.

The only way it could have gotten any better is... well I don't know, it was just absolutely perfect.
You could place that episode as the series finale and I don't see how anything could top it. (Aside from holly being in it full time)
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It was a great episode. Had every episode been like that then it would have been a classic series

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Red Dwarf: Series 13 Is in the Works

Red Dwarf to receive series XIII.

Those of you who enjoy Red Dwarf will definitely be glad to know that the series will receive a new season. We know this because Robert Llewellyn and Danny John-Jules have confirmed the news at Thames Con. As far as filming goes, Baby Cow Productions will kick things off in the first few months in 2019, and the great news is that Doug Naylor will be there to write the episodes.

Future plans and production members.
Some of you might remember that Red Dwarf Series XI and XII were shot back to back. This time around, we only have confirmation for Series XIII, so don’t get your hopes up for the next season just yet. Notable cast members include Robert Llewellyn, Danny John-Jules, Craig Charles and Chris Barrie. Dave will likely release an official confirmation soon enough, but until then, we’ll keep an eye out for any relevant news and get back to you.

Red Dwarf originally aired on BBC Two between 1988 and 1999. It moved on to Dave in 2009, and it steadily grew into a highly successful and appreciated sitcom. Some would even go as far as to call it a cult following.
source

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:cow:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Holy shit! :cow:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Without reading article, Cautiously optimistic.

If it’s just a restoration and things are left as they were, I’m in.
If it’s changes to cgi from model shots, or editing in or out scenes,I’m way the fuck out.
If it’s reshooting and redoing all the model shots with the new awesome models, I’m on the fence.

If there’s option to watch original or remake versions.. HELL YEAH!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Think it's just the originals &/or maybe the 90s "remasters" for the earlier series. No edits or reshoots.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

That’s a shame if they’re using the bodysnatcher remasters of series 1-3.

We only have the bodysnatcher collection here because my brother won it in a contest before it came out. The remastered episodes were horrible, but the collection did have the awesome special features that red dwarf is known for.

The contest was: in 25 words or less, what is the best episode and why?
My brothers entry of “episodes 1-52, because it’s Red Dwarf”
Was one of 5 winning entries for the bodysnatcher collection and it got sent to him about a week before it hit stores, it has been watched once in the decade since lol
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

“There are no new effects, no re-recorded lines, no cut jokes, and no mysteriously appearing skutters. Just the Red Dwarf you know and love… given a fresh polish to look and sound even better than ever.”