Star Trek Discovery trailer

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Star Trek Discovery trailer

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek Discovery trailer

Post by Hawq »

Its like the Enterprise shagged a Klingon D7 Battlecruiser & this was their baby

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Bryan Fuller Reveals Discovery Details

Star Trek: Discovery creator and executive producer Bryan Fuller dropped more hints about the upcoming series on Wednesday during an interview session with journalists attending the Television Critics Association Summer Tour. Among the revelations:

The show will be set 10 years before Star Trek: The Original Series.

The main character will be a woman, but not a captain. "We've seen six characters from the captain's point of view," Fuller said. “In order to understand something that is so completely alien from her, she must first understand herself. That's part of our journey on this planet, to get along, and that's part of our journey in this first season.”

The first season will consist of 13 episodes, with the show as a whole serialized and playing out like a novel, “with each episode being a chapter of that novel,” Fuller revealed. “And within that chapter there's a beginning, middle and end. We will have episodes that exist by themselves, but are a part of a much bigger story."

Casting for Discovery is underway.

Fans, Fuller noted, can expect a diverse cast and crew, as well as a full range of alien species the crew will encounter. "Star Trek started with a wonderful expression of diversity in its cast," Fuller said. "We're absolutely continuing that tradition."

And, yes, he confirmed, there will feature a gay regular character.

"The thing that makes Star Trek such a lasting, vital part of pop culture is that it's us, and where we're going," he said, and that it offers hope that "we're going to make it through."

As for the non-human characters, Fuller, answering a writer’s question, revealed that there will be robots on Discovery. And, in terms of aliens, the show will feature "more aliens than you normally do in a Star Trek show. We're going to have new, exciting aliens and also re-imaginings of existing aliens."

Responding to specific questions, Fuller also divulged the following:

“There's an incident, an event, in the history of Starfleet that has been talked about (in previous Star Trek shows), but never fully explored."

Section 31 is not directly involved in that incident/event, “but that's not to say that might not have some marble through the meat of our season.”

The Discovery ship design is still a work in progress, he said, but it will feature elements of illustrator Ralph McQuarrie’s Star Trek: Phase II designs, along with those of 1970s-era race cars, Lamborghinis and James Bond vehicles.

"She's not a central part of the show,” Fuller said of Amanda Grayson, Spock’s human mother, “but we love that character."

It’s conceivable that Discovery could feature bridge crew characters from TOS, but for the moment he’s “digging” what he’s go with the new characters and not thinking that far ahead.

Star Trek: Discovery is coming to CBS All Access in January 2017, following the premiere on the CBS Television Network, and will be distributed concurrently on Netflix in 188 countries and through Bell Media in Canada.
source

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Star Trek Discovery is Getting A Second Season

Boldly going into a second season

Several years have passed since Star Trek Enterprise whimpered off our screens. The release of Star Trek Discovery has injected a new lease of life into the TV aspect of the franchise, however, not all the fans are happy.

Enterprise was pretty poor. It practically killed the franchise, at least until the film re-boot in 2009. When I initially reported on why Enterprise flopped I went into it in some detail which you can read here. The bottom line was, though, that I think people had just got sick of Star Trek. Since The Next Generation there had been nearly 15 years of constant Star Trek. I’m not necessarily saying that it was a bad thing, but enough was enough.

Amazingly, despite the initial hype, Star Trek Discovery is apparently really polarising the fans. It could be worse, however, apparently if Star Wars got involved it could end in arrests!

Why do some like Star Trek Discovery and others not?

Firstly, in so far as I understand it, people don’t like the Klingons. Yes, admittedly they look nothing like those we are familiar with the original series or in Next Generation, there is, however, a good reason for that. In the original series, the special effects were on a shoestring budget, in the next generation, they did the best they could at the time. Therefore, I think a little leeway should be allowed here.

I also understand that people do not like the character-driven narrative. Unlike previous iterations of Star Trek, we are seeing a lot fewer character episodes and more of an individuals story unfolding. Don’t get me wrong, the co-stars are fleshed out (and well for so early in production) yet it all comes down to the main protagonist.

Personally, I’m amazed that no one has really jumped onto the male named black female lead character. I’d say it’s a remarkable testament to modern tolerance, but then, I know better.

Personally, I love Star Trek Discovery. I think it’s a fantastic new direction for the franchise and the smart move to step away from the previous stagnation. Therefore, I’m greatly pleased to hear of the announcement of a second series via Polygon.

It, at the very least, gives me something to do while I’m not playing Bridge Crew.

I sincerely hope this series lives long and prospers.
source

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

is it any good? I need something to watch on my flight to the US next week

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

only seen the first ep so far, wasnt exactly blown away & was left rather underwhelmed, others could judge better if they've seen all up to now