Suicide Squad

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Suicide Squad

Post by Bandit »

I'm still going to see it. But this review is hilarious.

Maybe I should buy a 20 oz of Pepsi Blue off eBay to smuggle in to pay tribute to P-Roach.

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Suicide Squad

Post by melancholy »

Holy shit, Papa Roach. I forgot all about their existence.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Daily Beast writer Jen Yamamoto stole Uproxx's Film Drunk Papa Roach joke

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... quinn.html

I know you can't expect an Asian Feminist Writer to come up with a joke, since neither group is funny much less a combo. But Jesus, that's just blatant from a popular site.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It'll do around $140 million in its first weekend. I'll see it tomorrow.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Margot Robbie's ass is a big box office draw.

Suicide Squad fans petition to shut Rotten Tomatoes down after bad reviews

If you've been following the movie news cycle for the last few hours then you're probably aware that the first wave of reviews for Suicide Squad have hit the web, and most of them are pretty negative. The film currently holds a 35% rating on Rotten Tomatoes - which means it's certified rotten - and DC movie fans are not happy.

In addition to the now disturbingly commonplace vitriol being directed at critics on social media, one particular fan has taken it upon himself to create a petition on Change.org demanding that Rotten Tomatoes be shut down over these poor reviews. Here's how it reads:

"We need this site to be shut down because It's Critics always give The DC Extended Universe movies unjust Bad Reviews, Like

1- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 2016

2- Suicide Squad 2016

and that Affects people's opinion even if it's a really great movies".

The problems with this petition go far beyond the poor grammar. It reveals a complete misunderstanding of how Rotten Tomatoes actually works - it's simply a review aggregator, and the reviews would still exist even if it was shut down - and it's also based on the false assumptions that critics give DC movies unjustly bad reviews when it suits them, and that critics can influence box office numbers (Transformers franchise, anyone?). This is not to mention the fact that given Suicide Squad isn't out in cinemas until Friday, many of these angry fans have not even seen the movie yet.

It's absolutely OK to disagree with a critic about a film, but needing there to be another reason besides that is both silly and sad. Unfortunately, this sort of thinking is becoming predictable; We've been in situations similar to this on two occasions earlier this year with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Ghostbusters, and now it seems we're in for more cries of conspiracy with Suicide Squad in the coming weeks. It's laughable, it's nonsensical, and it needs to stop.

Directed by David Ayer and starring Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Viola Davis, Jai Courtney, and Joel Kinnaman, Suicide Squad will open in the UK and US on August 5, 2016.

Source: Gamesradar

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Usually I wouldn't care, but most of the negative reviews from the US I saw complained about the sexism of Harley Quinn's Booty shorts, or the gun"being in the wrong climate", or the New Yorker cunt saying the "villians were too close to modern terrorists". And said little about the actual movie. So political reviews are as ridiculous as the Ghostbuter reviews that basically said "Yeah, it isn't good. But women! So here's four stars." (even though it made more in 1 weekend than Ghostbusters will make in its entire run. So suck it, liberal critics.) Update RT.

And for overplayed jokes, why not go for the "just sit in front of your local Hot Topic for 90 minutes" one. That's funny still.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Batman v Superman just wasn't all that great and it had problems. I guess I can kinda see the "marvel is amazing, DC sucks" thing that people think is real. But I think they also just make movies that are fun tell the story decently. DC is trying to catch up to marvel and it has to do a lot to get anywhere near where marvel is, they're just doing it badly. Look at the Nolan universe Batman movies, they were great. Anything since then has been average. People can blame Rotten Tomatoes all they want but the movies just aren't as good as they should be.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Right, I'm not saying it's good. But so many of the reviews aren't actually reviewing the movie. They're pieces on the level of violence "being in the wrong climate right now" (huh?) or complaining Harley Quinn is sexist. Or even using the review to talk about why DC movies all suck but Nolan's. I get that maybe the movie isn't great so they're going to want to entertain themselves writing "think pieces" about how Hollywood shouldn't be glorifying violence anymore (remember when that was the conservative viewpoint?) and how Harley Quinn's relationship with Joker is horrible and she shouldn't be dressed like that. It's ridiculous. this is what a negative review should be. It talks about why the film wasn't good, not why it has the wrong politics (for a fucking comic book movie)

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Holy fucking christ so I saw this film and I want to find the people who cut the original version down to this bullshit because this movie could have been so much better and it could have been so much better but instead what we got was a well-shot and well-acted formulaic pile of shit. Not the director or actor's fault either. Everyone did great (Leto was no Ledger or Nicholson but that's perfectly fine). Too bad the film was cut to shit and reworked to be this slop. Dissapointing and I hope we get a director's cut which is the way the film was SUPPOSED to be before the studio freaked out and ordered reshoots and bullshit.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I liked him better than Jack Nicholson but not Heath Ledger. But I like the menacing Joker, not the cokehead Joker Nicholson played.

But yeah, as a whole the movie wasn't good. It was like something written by ADD sufferers.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

A mate of mine saw it last night and his only comment on the film was "Yeah, don't bother" So I'll wait for the BR release I think

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, it had its moments,most of the performances justify seeing the movie once. But it isn't a must rush out and see. It reminded me of an American Horror Story episode. A cool idea sprinkled here or there, but not very focused. And like AHS they did that annoying thing where they just stop everything to break into a music video (the one set to "Without Me" made me think about walking out it was so lame.) It could even be one of those movies where all the parts you should see are uploaded to Youtube (which makes me think the movie should have been a collection of web shorts.)