What have you been watching on TV?

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: What have you been watching on TV?

Post by Big Boss Man »

I much preferred RDX to XI. Something about XI seemed a bit color by numbers for me for some reason. Hopefully XII will be an improvement.
I have all 5 parts of the OJ Simpson doco on my PVR
Those are definitely worth checking out, probably one of the best documentary/docu-series I've seen. You should also check out the June 17 1994 30 for 30 which is about OJ too. That's a very impactful piece in its own right as there's no talking heads or commentary over the footage.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I've been watching West World and it's fucking awesome. Shame the last episode comes out in a few days.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

You should also check out the June 17 1994 30 for 30 which is about OJ too. That's a very impactful piece in its own right as there's no talking heads or commentary over the footage.
That brought back memories since I too was flipping back and forth between the NBA Finals and the OJ coverage that night.

My only complaint was they didn't play this gem from that night.

It's Howard Stern's prank caller Captain Janks prank calling ABC claiming to be a witness and they were dumb enough to believe it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Strangely I couldn't recall seeing any of the OJ footage shown in the doc before. I don't know if they covered it in such detail here, maybe on Fox News/CNN/Sky News on satellite/cable TV, but on the 4 network stations at the time, I can't remember them cutting away from any programming to show the Bronco being chased by the cops etc. I'm sure the news shows would have aired it, when in retrospect it was a groundbreaking news story I wonder whether the BBC etc would have shown it?.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I can't imagine OJ was that well known in the UK outside of people who saw the Naked Gun movies. But I'd think the trial and it's racial aspects got attention. You didn't have to know who he was to take interest in that.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that seems most likely. I also can't recall that much press coverage of the trial (atleast it not being front page news stories anyway, or what they call 'blanket coverage'). Found this old article on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... -july-1994 But I'd imagine if it was a big football/soccer star in the UK of the time say Paul Gascoigne & especially David Beckham, that would have been a gigantic news story here.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I have been rewatching Bojack Horseman. Season 3 is fucking amazing, made more amazing by season 1 and 2..
There is so much subtlety, sight gags, self references and series continuity that makes a lot of shows seem bland to the nerd side of me..
For every depressing moment, there is an equal moment of hilarity that simply appeals to me a lot more than any other show.
For every sight gag that only one in a million people would ever notice, there's a stupid pun, or parody etc.

This has fast grown on me to become one of my favorite shows, because it is so different in structure and character.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

I just finished Kimmy Schmidt and Westworld.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Roofus wrote:Westworld.
Good man!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Roofus wrote:I just finished Kimmy Schmidt and Westworld.

OMG Twinsies~!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Mick is hilarious. I hope it makes Kaitlin Olson a bigger star because she's better than any woman in television comedy.

Foley is Good
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Foley is Good »

ian wrote:I have been rewatching Bojack Horseman. Season 3 is fucking amazing, made more amazing by season 1 and 2..
There is so much subtlety, sight gags, self references and series continuity that makes a lot of shows seem bland to the nerd side of me..
For every depressing moment, there is an equal moment of hilarity that simply appeals to me a lot more than any other show.
For every sight gag that only one in a million people would ever notice, there's a stupid pun, or parody etc.

This has fast grown on me to become one of my favorite shows, because it is so different in structure and character.
I end every season a fucking wreck. Everyone is hyped for season four, but I'm over here patiently waiting as I can't stand the week long depression I get after finishing it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I've been watching

Quantum Leap - great show. A few episodes are hit and miss but on the whole it's a series I think still stands up today. But being able to time travel in 1999 is IMO one thing they did wrong since they started the show in 1989 so that part isn't really believable. Have Sam Beckett come from 2999 then yea that makes a bit more sense although he's supposed to leap into his own lifetime. Season 5 when he leaps into Lee Harvey Oswald and Elvis was in some ways unnecessary and I don't know if ratings were down and they needed to jazz things up or more people were watching and they wanted to make it more mainstream. However the Elvis episode is one of my favourite QL episodes so I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. Quantum Leap is I think one show i could sit through from beginning to end and Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are perfectly cast as Sam and Al.

I've also been watching the new David Bowie documentary the next 5 years. Really good and it's on BBC iPlayer. Makes you truly appreciate the artistry of David and like Prince he was super talented. David is one of those once in a generation talents, ironically the 20th century had David Bowie, Prince, Michael Jackson who I think are the upper echelon super elite artists. Any new artist today should set them as their benchmark to emulate but they will never be superseded.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

When he died AXS kept running the first 5 Years documentary which was great. So hopefully they get the rights to the new one soon or BBC America shows it.

And Scott Bakula had a cameo in the Quantum Leap themed season premiere of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia which was hilarious.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Foley is Good wrote:
ian wrote:I have been rewatching Bojack Horseman. Season 3 is fucking amazing, made more amazing by season 1 and 2..

I end every season a fucking wreck. Everyone is hyped for season four, but I'm over here patiently waiting as I can't stand the week long depression I get after finishing it.

I don't end it a wreck.. because for every time there is a massively depressing moment (Bojack putting the foot down in the car, closing eyes and letting go of the steering wheel) there is a laugh that counters it amazingly (Mr. Peanut butter's: "Spaghetti or not, here I come"... That punchline took AN ENTIRE season to materialise)
I would probably feel MUCH different about it if I was watching it weekly, instead of all at once.. I will probably try to space season 4 out, because there is SO MUCH to take in each episode..

Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen the end of season 3 and would like to:
One thing that I particularly like is the opening credits/titles. and how it always changes to reflect what is happening in the show..
My heart broke in the finale of season 3 to see Sarah Lynn was absent from Bojack's party after she had died.. That was TOO MUCH, MAN And I was almost in tears before I even got to the end..

For those who haven't seen it (which I hope everyone has) Some of the guest stars are amazing:
Patton Oswalt.
Kristen Schaal. Flight of the Conchords, Bob's Burgers.
Aisha Tyler. Archer, Friends, The Boondocks.
Diedrich Bader. Office Space, The Drew Carey Show.
Henry Winkler. EYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!
Judy Greer. Archer, Arrested Development.

Everyone should watch it.. It is hilariously depressing.. fell of my chair when I heard "Get Dat Fetus Kill Dat Fetus Brrap Brrap pew pew"
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia was great. "I've got the good vaginal AIDS, not the bad gay or needle AIDS" and the Usual Suspects ending nod.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

When he died AXS kept running the first 5 Years documentary which was great. So hopefully they get the rights to the new one soon or BBC America shows it.

And Scott Bakula had a cameo in the Quantum Leap themed season premiere of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia which was hilarious.
Yep they are airing the first 5 years tonight again on BBC4 too. Didn't know Scott was in IASIP, have to check that out. But I don't know if they aired that show here. As for the wackiness of season 5 QL they were going to be cancelled & ratings were down so they had to jazz it up I guess. Some episodes are like they were written by Vince Russo. In one Sam leaps in as a Vampire(?! - if it was Lucha Underground Vampiro = ratings), meets a heel time traveler (3 times) & leaps in as DR RUTH~!. Quantum Leap is a great show, but I think apart from a few episodes they should have concluded it at Season 4 or avoiding posting spoilers had a much better conclusion to the show.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I've been watching Steptoe and Son. It was remade in the US as Stanford and Son with Red Foxx. The BBC somehow lost the colour master tapes and they had to source the old recordings. A few were found from home recordings however they are in poor quality (kinda like 4th gen. VCR copies) but despite that, they are very watchable and really well written. The best episode IMO is called Divided we stand when they fall out and divide the house in half. Not sure if Steptoe aired internationally but I definitely recommend checking it out. Some references are a bit dated but Harold wanting to better himself and improve his social standing still reasonates today when the class system in the U.K. Is more prominent than ever.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yes, it aired here on PBS, as they showed that, Mr. Bean, Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, and those kind of BBC comedies.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I've been watching the remake of Roots. Some of it is difficult to watch because of the brutality. Also it's a show which doesn't need remaking as the original was groundbreaking television. Wonder if they'll remake the Next Generation, The Guft and Alex Haleys Queen?

Also some newer 30 for 30s are going to be aired here so I'm going to check those out. Still no XFL or Magic one yet though.