New Music 2016

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: New Music 2016

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bruno has a new LP out now at your local wrecka stow. This time instead of the Roger & Zapp/DJ Quik sound of "24k Magic" he's going for a 80's slow jam.

But on the whole, if you like 80's pop-soul it's worth checking out. Reminds me a bit of Bobby Brown's first LP for a reason, especially the slow jams and BABYFACE~! is on the album too & LA & Face working on Bobby's first record with TEDDY RILEY~!.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Babyface had a "sell your soul" moment with the 1997 one that was a smash hit but guaranteed he'd be thought of as lame in the future (like a less successful Puff Daddy), but he even made a good pop rock album in the Josie and the Pussycats soundtrack he wrote and put a studio rock band on. But I'm old enough to remember critics in 1994 going nuts for him. (I was reading music mags really young.)

Of course I laughed at Tyler's obsession with shitting on him years ago, but Bruno is good at what he does. I won't pay for it, but when I hear it I respect him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Babyface has a strong enough track record of hits with his own group The Deele, Whitney, Bobby Brown, El DeBarge, Boyz II Men, Toni Braxton, Mariah, Aretha, Karyn White, After 7, TLC et al that I think we can give him a free pass for "Everytime I Close my eyes" which I think is the song you're referring too. "The Day", the LP the song is from, got like 10-11 Grammy nominations and at one time he was the go to producer for a hit. I think you can put him in another echelon above Puff, 'Face should be in the category with Q, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Berry Gordy et al as elite level producer. Puff is too but I think LA & Babyface had a heavy hand in the involvement of the sound which Puffy borrowed in the Hip-Hop Soul of Bobby Brown & TLC. So without Babyface there wouldn't be that whole sound as 80s soul music was very pop orientated, with Luther & Whitney being the flag bearers of the genre back then. You had to dig a little deeper to get a more authentic soul sound. I think Babyface deserves a lot of plaudits thrown his way but in terms of his place among the best music producers of all time (Berry Gordy, Phil Spector, Sir George Martin, Quincy Jones, Rick Rubin, Sam Phillips, Brian Wilson, Brian Eno, Nile Rodgers, Butch Vig, Jerry Wexler, Tony Visconti (David Bowie/T-Rex) et al I'm not sure where to put Babyface but he definitely stands tall alongside those in Soul/Hip Hop music - Roger Troutman, Timbaland, Pete Rock, The Bomb Squad, J Dilla, DJ Premier, DJ Quik, Dr Dre, Raphael Saadiq, Kanye et al.

As for Bruno, he's doing his thing and getting paid. I prefer to hear the originals instead of a emulation of his own brand of 80's new jack swing/pop-soul that he's doing, but it's good that he's bringing that old skool sound back. As long as not too many others jump on the bandwagon like they did with trying to bring out a retro neo soul record. But one record which got slept on is Raphael Saadiq's "The Way I See It" is worth checking out as is Kel's "Love Letter" lp which is very reminiscent of an old 60s soul record as is Raphael's one too.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

You're both forgetting to mention that the new chemical brothers track sucks fucking ass, and the new Metallica tracks are pretty good!

The last time the Chemical brothers were any good was like almost a decade ago...
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Chemical Bros - thats a blast from the past!. Haven't heard their name pop up on the music radar since they did Setting Sun in like 96? and IIRC they did a soundtrack for one of the Wipeout videogames.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man wrote:Chemical Bros - thats a blast from the past!. Haven't heard their name pop up on the music radar since they did Setting Sun in like 96? and IIRC they did a soundtrack for one of the Wipeout videogames.
They had hits after that, things like "Hey Boy Hey Girl" in 1999 & Galvanize in 2005.

And their new song is alright.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

The new song sucks ass Zoidberg, just admit it... but 2007's 'We Are The Night" Is the most awesome thing the Chemical Brothers ever did..
That Album is for the Chemical Brothers what Discovery is for Daft Punk, What Stranger than Fiction is for Bad Religion, What Appetite For Destruction is for GNR, What the black Album is for Metallica..

It's something so special, they can never recreate it, never top it and never forget it.. It will go down in history as a classic and defining moment.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.