Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Jimmy Snuka Dead At 73

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Jimmy Snuka Dead At 73

Post by Big Boss Man »

Unfortunately the murder trial stuff (which we'll never know the real truth about now) will over shadow his wrestling career, but I think it's best to try and remember Superfly the Wrestler instead of what happened in his personal life. I think Jimmy Snuka was part of some very memorable moments in WWE & pro-wrestling history - being hit over the head by Hot Rod with the coconut on Piper's Pit and of course the Superfly splash from the top of the steel cage against Don Muraco. He was part of the first WrestleMania, so I think his legacy is one which is important to the WWE history. He was also one of the first high flyers too. RIP Superfly.

WWE have also confirmed the news now:
WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka passes away

WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka has passed away.

Snuka is regarded by many as the pioneer of high-flying offense because of his Superfly Splash from the top turnbuckle. His dive off the top of the steel cage onto Don Muraco at Madison Square Garden as hundreds of flash bulbs went off will forever live as one of the most memorable moments in WWE history.

WWE extends its condolences to Snuka’s family, friends and fans.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Unfortunately the murder trial stuff (which we'll never know the real truth about now) will over shadow his wrestling career, but I think it's best to try and remember Superfly the Wrestler instead of what happened in his personal life.
The weird thing to me is how people were much quicker to say this about Benoit than Snuka. It's weird because Snuka committed a crime of passion murder (although Nancy's murder was too) whereas Benoit thought over killing Daniel for a full day, which is much harder to forgive. And there's not years of footage of Snuka with Nancy Argentino managing him, which makes 96-97 Nitros with Four Horsemen segments cringing.

I know for a lot of people they just found out about it when the murder charge was filed in 2014, but the "It's okay to watch Benoit matches" mindset was being debated online within 3 months of the murder suicide, while Rock is getting his balls busted online right now for just acknowledging a guy he has known his entire life.

And if the Vince part is true, he might be worse than Snuka. And all the wrestlers who acted like the shoot interview questions about it was the first they heard about it. Really, you guys remember in detail about random ring rat stories involving someone else but nobody talked about a murder scandal?

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The weird thing to me is how people were much quicker to say this about Benoit than Snuka. It's weird because Snuka committed a crime of passion murder (although Nancy's murder was too) whereas Benoit thought over killing Daniel for a full day, which is much harder to forgive. And there's not years of footage of Snuka with Nancy Argentino managing him, which makes 96-97 Nitros with Four Horsemen segments cringing.

I know for a lot of people they just found out about it when the murder charge was filed in 2014, but the "It's okay to watch Benoit matches" mindset was being debated online within 3 months of the murder suicide, while Rock is getting his balls busted online right now for just acknowledging a guy he has known his entire life.

And if the Vince part is true, he might be worse than Snuka. And all the wrestlers who acted like the shoot interview questions about it was the first they heard about it. Really, you guys remember in detail about random ring rat stories involving someone else but nobody talked about a murder scandal?
Yea. It's a very complex situation in general. Especially so on WWE's behalf now since if they do a 10 bell salute, tribute video honoring Superfly etc they'll be seen as glorifying an murderer. But thats the thing, has it ever been 100% proven that Superfly was intent on murdering his girlfriend, or was it an accidental death?. If the latter was the case, surely Jimmy could have come forward and told the truth & be exonerated of any wrong doing. The story that Vince Jr covered it up is very, very shady. If that can be proven surely Vince will catch a charge or two over that. I'm also sure if the boys knew about it and were told to keep quiet then they are just as bad. I mean look at what happened with Brusier Brody, no one ever came forward in that instance either & implicated Jose Gonzalez by testifying against him, but I guess it's the whole carny kayfabe mentality they had back then. This is what Dutch had to say about Brusier
“It is already known that Jose Gonzalez was the man that stabbed and killed Bruiser Brody.

He pleaded self defense, and partly due to a weak justice system in Puerto Rico, and partly due to the fact that nobody was at Gonzalez’ trial on behalf of Brody, Gonzalez was acquitted.

The controversy surrounds why the men that were subpoenaed never got to Puerto Rico to testify. Yes, it is true that certain wrestlers would not talk. But there were many who were very willing to talk.

Unfortunately, they never got their chance.

I arrived in Puerto Rico for a two-day run on a Saturday afternoon. After deplaning and collecting my bags, I made my way to the Lagoon el Canario, where I would be staying. The El Canario was a great hotel by Puerto Rican standards because they had cable with a remote and in-room air conditioning. That’s almost a luxury.

I met Bruiser in the lobby of the hotel where we were also to meet [Tony] Atlas. Bruiser told me that Tony had arranged a ride for the three of us with a guy who operated a local gym and who was a big wrestling fan.

After a few minutes, Atlas arrived and we departed for Bayamon Loubriel Stadium around 6:00 PM. The trip takes about 20 minutes so we were very early for the show.

Everything was fine; just small talk made in the car on the way over. We collected our bags from the trunk upon arrival and entered the stadium, headed for the dressing room. But, as we entered the dressing area, I felt tension in the air. I always felt tension in the air there, as it’s an extremely dangerous place to work. But that night it was really heavy. Don’t ask me why. I don’t even know. I just felt it.

As I entered, I was following Bruiser and I noticed Carlos [Colon] and Invader [Jose Gonzalez] sitting on a bench to my right. Invader was trying on his leather strap – that he wears on his arm – with his teeth. Neither spoke.

Thinking back on it now, I don’t believe any acknowledgment was made to Brody either. I followed Brody to the rear of the room, directly in front of the shower door.

There were other guys who were already there. The Youngbloods, TNT, Roberto Soto, and Castillo Jr. were in various stages of unpacking and getting ready.

I have always hated dressing rooms, so I sat down briefly and, still feeling uneasy about the tension that I felt, decided to go check the crowd. The is a ritual with me; I always check out the crowd or arena when I get there just to familiarize myself with it.

Bayamon Stadium is a baseball stadium so I arose from my chair and headed through a tunnel to get to the field. It’s only about 100 feet through the tunnel, and I stood, watching the crowd file in for no more than three minutes, and I had not been gone from the dressing room longer than 5 or 6 minutes, at the most.

But when I returned, my eyes met horror.”

Source: http://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wres ... ies/brody/
So maybe the boys did know about Superfly and were told by Vince Jr to keep quiet. This is what supposedly went down & as you can see Superfly said he didn't hurt Nancy
By all accounts in police records and recent interviews with those involved in the case, McMahon and the WWF were fully cooperative with the police investigation. On May 27, 1983, The Morning Call reported that District Attorney William Platt, now a Pennsylvania Senior Superior Court judge, said the investigation into Nancy’s death was nearly complete. “It’s just a matter of getting everybody together,” Platt was quoted as saying, referring to the investigators and attorneys involved in the case, according to the article.

Five days later, on June 1, 1983, Snuka and McMahon met with Platt, then-Assistant District Attorney Robert Steinberg and Mihalakis, the medical examiner, in the DA’s office law library. Whitehall Police Detectives Gerry Procanyn, Al Fritzinger and Vincent Geiger were also at the meeting, according to police records. There’s no official record of what was said and Snuka doesn’t remember much of what happened, according to his book. “All I remember is [McMahon] had a briefcase with him,” Snuka wrote in his autobiography. “I don’t know what happened. …The only thing I know for sure is I didn’t hurt Nancy.”

Steinberg, now a Lehigh County judge, said Snuka didn’t say much and McMahon “did all the talking.” “I remember Vince McMahon being what Vince McMahon has always been — very effusive. He was very protective, a showman,” Steinberg said, noting he couldn’t recall specifics of the conversation. “He was the mouthpiece, trying to direct the conversation.”

Procanyn said McMahon gave authorities the phone numbers of wrestlers and managers they wanted to speak with. Fritzinger could not be reached for comment and Geiger died in 1984. Platt wouldn’t comment when asked if Whitehall police pushed for charges to be filed.

Source: http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/616233- ... lO1jCKP.99