Wrestler Death thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A thread for wrestler deaths.

RIP Nicole Bass

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Wrestler Death thread

Post by Bandit »

I thought she died a few years ago. Maybe that was her husband.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Just announced George Steele lost his battle with cancer.

An underrated moment was on his RF shoot where he fucks with Rob making him think he paid for an interview with him only in character for a minute, then he goes "Just kidding!" He must have heard how pissed RF was at Snuka keeping kayfabe that time.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Nicole's husband did pass away a few years back. Sad news that she passed. If she had more wrestling training she could have been put up against Chyna during the Attitude Era. Sure they wouldn't have been Misawa/Kobashi 5 star matches but the spectacle would have been something if they built it up well enough.

Sad news about George too. To be honest I think he deserves a topic of his own as he was part of the Rock n wrestling era and a Hall of famer. He also had a run with Macho and Hulk, they even made a George Steele coliseum tape and of course action figures and MINE~! Haven't seen enough of his heel work but he played the sympathetic baby face gimmick really good. Considering he was a school teacher in real life the caveman George The Animal gimmick was clever. I remember reading a while ago that a fan of his sent him a Mine toy as he didn't have the original anymore. His most famous storyline was of course with Macho and Miss Liz. Having her "marry" George in a beauty and the beast type scenario would have been great and having Randy interrupt the service and declare his love for Elizabeth would have been a cool way to turn him baby face. RIP George Steele and Nicole Bass :(

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bass hated pro wrestling so she never put any work in. Paul Heyman was a huge Howard Stern fan and talked her into trying, with the idea WWF would eventually want to bring her in like the Andre to Chyna's Hogan. Supposedly she didn't mind ECW because the schedule was closer to what she did with body building events and Wack Pack shows. But she cracked from the WWF schedule pretty fast, where you have to love wrestling to want to do it. She also said something on Stern last year after Chyna died that she thought Chyna sabotaged her career.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

RIP George Steele
Big Boss Man wrote:Sad news about George too. To be honest I think he deserves a topic of his own
Agreed, although maybe the individual topics can be for the really big names and the "shock" deaths.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Now Ivan Koloff. It's like 2016 but for wrestlers. Hopefully they'll put him in the HOF at least next year. I don't know why he wasn't already as he was a very big draw for Vince Sr. and helped get one of the best heels of the 80s in Nikita over. Although personally I think anybody who nearly caused a riot simply by winning a match should have gone in on that alone.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:RIP George Steele
Big Boss Man wrote:Sad news about George too. To be honest I think he deserves a topic of his own
Agreed, although maybe the individual topics can be for the really big names and the "shock" deaths.
Yep and that would be a good idea. Ivan Koloff has sadly passed now too

http://people.com/sports/wrestler-ivan- ... bear-dead/

When I first started watching pro wrestling I hired the Ringmasters tape and Ivan was on there with Nikita. Seeing wrestling outside of the WWF was a big deal back then and Jim Crockett Promotions/NWA was cool as to me it always seemed more realistic. I think he's in a tag match on it and trains Nikita for a big match with Ric Flair. So Ivan Koloff was one of the first non WWF wrestlers (although he's a former WWWF world champion) I knew about and watching the tape made me want to seek out non WWF shows which is why later I became a big ECW fan. Ivan Koloff of course worked the early Eastern Championship Wrestling shows. IIRC without googling Ivan beat Bruno in the Garden for the belt and when the Garden back then was the WrestleMania for the WWWF and Bruno being the Hulk Higan of the time winning the championship was a massive deal. I think in his shoot or I've read heard when he won the Garden went silent. Going back to Ringmasters tape this interview is on it IIRC and compared to the cartoony WWF this was like Wow back in the day. Nikita and Ivan were one of the best heel teams IMO and I think whilst the Russian gimmick was at times over done Ivan was arguably the best "Russian" in pro wrestling.

RIP to "the Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

RIP Ivan Koloff

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A retro R.I.P.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

'Bruiser' Bob Sweetan dies at 76 years old

"Bruiser" Bob Sweetan, known as Mr. Piledriver as the babyface star of Southwest Championship Wrestling and rival of Tully Blanchard during the company's 1982-83 run on the USA Network, died on February 10th.

Sweetan, born Robert Beier, was a noted tough guy, who was also very much of a bully, and a loner. He had largely disappeared from contact with most in wrestling and was known after wrestling for sexually abusing his daughter.

He was 76 years old.

Sweetan was mostly a mid-level promotion star, in places like Central States, where he headlined for years, as well as for Leroy McGuirk's Tri-States Wrestling, Stampede Wrestling, and Southwest Championship Wrestling. He headlined in all those territories, as well as a headline run for Roy Shire at the Cow Palace as a two time U.S. champion when he was using Kansas City talent and Sweetan was the top heel.

He started his career in 1965 with Stampede Wrestling and his career ended in 1985 when he simply stopped showing up for work and disappeared from his family as well, moving in with a new woman, when he was working for Mid South Wrestling as a top heel, feuding with Ted DiBiase and Jake Roberts, and teaming with Steve "Dr. Death" Williams.

In 1990, police found him and arrested him for sexually abusing his daughter when she was 15, as well as nonpayment of child support. He pleaded guilty to the sexual abuse. In 2000, when he stopped checking in with police, they found him and deported him to Canada, where he lived the past 16 years.

He also worked under the name K.O. Cox. He had a regular tag team at one time with a brother, Fred Sweetan, whose real name was Fred Prosser.

His most famous run in San Antonio, because of the national exposure, was an anomaly, since he was an ugly brawling heel most of his career. But during his biggest exposure he played the part of the blue collar brawler type from nearby Round Rock, TX, going against Blanchard, who played the role of a young rich playboy type.

Source: WON/F4W

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

RIP Ron Bass

“Outlaw” Ron Bass Passes Away

According to PWInsider, former WWF Star Ronald Heard, or better known as “Outlaw” Ron Bass, has passed away. Bass was 68 at the time of and the cause of death was a burst appendix.

Bass worked for southern territories when he first debuted in the wrestling business in the 1970’s. He then debuted for WWF in 1987 and his first major angle came against the Junkyard Dog. Leaving WWF in the early 1990’s, Bass would then be one of the plaintiffs named in the class action suit against WWE in 2016 for concussions and brain injuries.

Read more at http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/813351- ... d1DuG1z.99

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He was a good mid card heel for late 80s WWF.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Outlaw is on the Ringmasters Bash 85 tape. He worked as a baby face on there. I was watching an old SNME tape a few weeks back where he had the angle with Brutus and the haircut match. Definitely agree he was a good mid card heel, not sure if they followed up the feud with Bruti s
since he went into the Hulk/Macho/Zeus angle. RIP Ron Bass

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Not really, he just did a house show loop with him. He was gone after the Royal Rumble IIRC. He would have made a good henchman for Mr. Perfect or Honky, but I think they wanted to cut his pay and he quit.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Ok thanks. After he lost the hair match he didn't do much after than on WWE so it seems more than likely he left after the Rumble. He must have come over with Arn, Tully, Ronnie Garvin et al from Crockett. Ron being an enforcer type would have been a good gimmick. I'd have teamed him up with Terry and Dory if they were still with the WWF. Or if they managed to bring in Brody and Stan a faction with them would have been cool. Did he ever work against Hogan? I think him doing the angle he did with Brutus would have worked even better with Hulk. Ron is also a integral part of WWE history since him taking out The Barber led to Honky losing to Warrior and him winning the IC Belt. Ron wrestled in the NWA territories since 1971 so he had a long career before even getting to WWE. He was Cowboy Ron Bass as a baby face. Going back to him and Stan they won the NWA international tag belts in All Japan.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »