The Wrestling Podcast Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Wrestling Podcast Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

On episode 11 of Conversation With The Big Guy, former WWE Superstar Ryback talked about a number of topics including thinking he needed to take steroids to be a successful professional wrestler when he was younger, experimenting with the 'club drug' GHB, and having 'Khali duty' while in Deep South Wrestling.

According to Ryback, four-time Mr. Olympia, Jay Cutler, used to frequent the Las Vegas, Nevada Gold's Gym where Ryback worked part-time as a 19 year old student.

"He used to come into Gold's Gym when I worked at the front desk and I was 19 years old. And at that point, I never touched anything. I was just a 235, 240 pound kid. Just full-time in school, working part-time. And he used to tell me, 'you should be a bodybuilder. Like, you have good genetics.' And I would tell him I want to be a pro wrestler."

Apparently, Cutler put the idea of using steroids in Ryback's mind. Moreover, 'The Big Guy' thought he had to do steroids to be a pro wrestler when he was in his early 20s.

"He was actually the one to kind of put it in my head, 'maybe I should f--king do steroids because I have good genetics.'" Ryback added, "but in my early 20s, I thought that I had to do that to be successful, if that makes sense."

On the subject of GHB, Ryback claimed he was first exposed to the depressant at Deep South Wrestling and that he eventually became addicted to it.

"A good portion of the guys had their water bottles full of this stuff. And it wasn't the environment of today, but we would train five days a week and just kill ourselves and go through all of that. And on the weekends and shows, and just, yeah, decompress, have fun, do whatever the f--k we want, drink, and do this GHB, which, eventually, I would do it every day. It became a very regular part of my life, where, for me, it was kind of the first thing I really, truly got addicted to down there. And the training was hard and whatnot and I could sit there and say, oh, I can make up any excuse I want that I did it because of that, but I got addicted to it."

Ryback continued, "I would do it after practice and everyone, and this was, again, across the board, a lot of people [would do that] and I would take a nap after practice, get up, eat, take another cap because if you do just a little, it would give you energy. Such a weird drug. And then, I would go work out for three hours. Yeah, and then, get home and do a bunch and eventually pass out and sleep."

Additionally, Ryback stated that GHB, a drug approved by the FDA in 2002 for treating narcolepsy, would make him sleepwalk.

"The GHB would make me sleepwalk where I would take it at night, like, you're in such a deep sleep, but I would have to piss or something. And having sleep apnea, it's such a dangerous combination at the time, but I would wake up in my sleep and go to the bathroom. There were nights where I would wake up in the morning and I'd pissed on the shower curtain." Ryback said, "I remember some mornings, my shower curtain would be ripped off the wall and the bathroom would be a mess."

Also during the podcast, Ryback recalled being the first Deep South Wrestling talent to have 'Khali duty'. As the story goes, trainer Bill DeMott asked Ryback to be the first talent to have 'Khali duty', which entailed driving him around and running errands.

"Great Khali came to Deep South and I was the first one they assigned to 'Khali duty', they called it, where you would have to go pick him up and bring him to a store, like, whatever [Khali needed]. Like, I had to set up his AOL account, like call AOL."

Ryback elaborated, "if Khali wanted to go at a certain point, you were told just to take him whenever he wanted to go and I was the first one."

Ryback indicated that he mixed booze and GHB one night and woke up late when he was supposed to take The Great Khali to get groceries. The former WWE Intercontinental Champion said his room appeared to be struck by a literal 's--t tornado'.

"There was one particular incident with the GHB. I had to pick him up in the morning to take him to the grocery store. And it was supposed to be like he wanted to go early in the morning." Ryback recalled, "I wake up late. I had many missed calls from The Great Khali that morning. It was like a Sunday morning and Saturday night, [we were] out. I woke up in my bed and I felt like I had died, like a whole other level. And, again, probably for the second or third time in my life, I should have been dead. And I'm sitting there, lying in bed, and I sit up, and I smell, like, the most horrid smell that you could ever imagine smelling. And I'm like, 'what the f--k?' and everything was blurry and I look. My room is destroyed. My bedroom looked like it got hit by a s--t tornado. And when I say a 's--t tornado', I mean piles of s--t. Piles! Not one pile of s--t, multiple piles of s--t and puke all on the floors in my bedroom. Piss all over the walls. The bathroom, completely destroyed."

Since Ryback was already running late for 'Khali duty', he decided to leave the mess and clean it up later. 'The Human Wrecking Ball' professed that it took him three hours to clean up his bedroom following the incident.

"It took me three hours to clean up that bedroom. And then, I got done just in time to invite the guys over to watch the Royal Rumble at my place."

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He set up AOL for Khali? Was this 1996?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

2006 in Georgia. Would it have been like 1996 there in 2006?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

2006 in Georgia. Would it have been like 1996 there in 2006?
Unless it was Atlanta, probably.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Listened to Apter's podcast. It's goofy but it was alright.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

6:05 Superpodcast Episode 51: Talk To The Promoter

The Superpodcast returns with another pier sixer of an episode, as The Great Brian Last is joined by former Smoky Mountain champion Bobby Blaze in the co-host chair. This week’s episode features:

– An extensive conversation with Bobby Fulton. Bobby talks about working in Stampede and how his look changed after an injury in a riot. Bobby shares his observations and memories of the 1983 Jerry Lawler/Lance Russell split from Jerry Jarrett that almost happened. We hear about his teaming with Terry Taylor as the Fantastic Ones in Chattanooga, what Junkyard Dog told the locker room in Mid South before he left for the WWF, how the Fantastics quit WCW and much more!

– TGBL & Bobby Blaze discuss Bobby’s career, including his training by the Malenkos, his time around Karl Gotch, his friendship with Sean Waltman, his escape from South Africa with help from the United States Embassy, growing up watching Memphis & ICW, beating Jerry Lawler for the SMW championship and more. Plus we hear talk about wrestling mimes, shoot backdrops, pretend wrestlers and more!

– We have part three of our look at classic John Tolos audio from 1971, during his famed heel run in Los Angeles.

– Stuttering Tommy Rich and Impressionist Jim Ross raise the stakes in their feud!

This is the longest episode in Superpodcast history, so CALL SOMEBODY!

Right click to download

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Oh my god, Bobby Blaze. I haven't thought about him in forever. That's a blast from the past.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He was on 605 a couple of months ago talking about his encounter with Sue The Shooter in the early 90s. I'm almost 2 hours into this new episode and he's told lots of good stories so far.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Guys who were lower level usually tell the best stories. They don't have an agenda to push like the stars do.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Kris & David are guestless talking about the week that was November 16-22, 1987. we discuss the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission possibly disbanding, The Road Warriors signing a 5-year deal with JCP, wild new in Memphis with great clips, Stan Hansen talking to World Class, AWA sadness, and Hulk Hogan rallying the troops for Survivor Series. This is a very fun show!!!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

6:05 Superpodcast Episode 52: The Invulnerable Head

The Mothership has touched down once again and the 6:05 is here for another episode of classic wrestling conversation & excitement! The Great Brian Last is joined this week by Travis Heckel, the Superpodcast’s art director, for a packed show, featuring:

– A conversation with Adrian Street, whose album “Shake Wrestle ’N’ Roll” was recently reissued by Burger Records to celebrate it’s 30th anniversary. Adrian discusses the backstory on how he started making records and the impact he had on Glam Rock in England. We also will hear about the origins of Adrian’s Exotic gimmick, his opinion of Bill Dundee & Dusty Rhodes as bookers, Adrian’s thoughts on Big Daddy’s impact on British wrestling and much more!

– Jim Cornette joins the show again to provide commentaries and insights for three matches – Chris Colt vs. Thunderbolt Patterson, Moondog Mayne vs. Roddy Piper and La Momia vs. El Androide!

– Bobby Fulton talks about his memories of spending time with Dr. Jerry Graham and having the good doctor stay at his house when he was a teenager!

– The final installment of our classic 1971 audio of John Tolos as the top heel in Los Angeles!

– TGBL & Travis discuss many topics during the Top Ten, mostly centered around Memphis Wrestling!

Plus, Stuttering Tommy Rich, Impressionist Jim Ross, discussion of the movie Grunt, a message from The Hangman and much more!

CALL SOMEBODY!

Right click to download

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Kris & David are joined by Beau James (King of Kingsport) to discuss the week that was November 23-29, 1993. We discuss Hulk Hogan snitching on Vince McMahon, Survivor Series including RnR vs. Heavenly Bodies bombing, Bobby Heenan leaving, Terry Funk as a Red Knight, The Gilberts cutting a shoot promo in W*ING and quitting, Public Enemy being arrested, Jim Cornette's hatred for Eastern Kentucky, and Eric Bischoff talking to HBO....This show is stacked and pretty damn great so listen now!!!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

6:05 Superpodcast Episode 53: First Anniversary Show

We’re celebrating one year of the Superpodcast, with this, the first anniversary show! Jim Cornette is in the co-host chair once again, joining The Great Brian Last for this special episode of 6:05, featuring:

– TGBL & Jim discuss many topics, including the 1989 NWA booking committee, masked wrestlers unmasked, Mark Ragin, the WFIA, the greatness of Lance Russell, Eddie Gilbert, Tony Rumble, 1970’s wrestling magazines, Wayne Ferris as The Kisser and much more!

– World renowned magician Franz Harary joins the show to discuss his work for WCW in 1990 during the Black Scorpion angle. From working with Ole to ideas that never materialized due to budget constraints, Franz shares all he remembers from his brief experience with the world of professional wrestling.

– Marc Coralluzzo joins the show to discuss his father, the late great Dennis Coralluzzo. TGBL & Marc also share their memories of ribs and hijinks around Dennis’ events and Marc gives a bit more insight into the story behind the Old Lady phone call tapes.

– After weeks of trading barbs, Impressionist Jim Ross and Stuttering Tommy Rich have a rap battle for Superpodcast supremacy!

Right click to download

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

FREE WOR! Billy Corgan talks his history with TNA Impact Wrestling!

Wrestling Observer Radio with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer is back today with special guest BILLY CORGAN to talk all things TNA Impact Wrestling. How this relationship all began, how it all fell apart, when it became apparent that things might not be what they seemed, where he goes from here in professional wrestling and more.

This download is FREE so please spread the word to your wrestling friends. Wrestling Observer Radio with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer airs three to four times per week in addition to a dozen other members-only shows, and wrestlingobserver.com subscribers get access to our full archive of 10,000 audio shows dating to 2005, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter and archives and more! It's the best wrestling audio content on Earth, don't miss out!

http://www.f4wonline.com/wrestling-obse ... ing-225521

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Today Bruce and Conrad discuss the original "Diva" in the WWF, Sunny! From her signing to being the most downloaded personality in AOL history to backstage feuds, relationships, drama and more!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Kris Zellner is joined by Rob Naylor (Highspots Network) to discuss the history of the NWA/WCW World TV Title. We talk about the reason why it became a world title and then run down all the major champions along with some of their notable matches during their reigns. We also talk about the legacy of the title and how Vince Russo tried to kill it in 1999. This is a really fun show so check it out!!!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Naylor~! That should be a good ep.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

6:05 Superpodcast Episode 54: The Tire Incident

The Superpodcast returns with a hangover edition of the show, following last week’s anniversary celebration, with Tom Robinson back in the co-host chair. This week on the show:

– Derrick Dukes joins the show to talk about his time in the AWA during the last years of that promotion. Derrick shares his memories of what the atmosphere around the AWA was like when he got there and, of course, about his infamous feud with Colonel DeBeers. We will also hear about what happened when Derrick tried to get out of his AWA contract, his memories of Kerry Von Erich & SuperClash III, why Ricky Rice was always having problems with the promotion and much more! A really fun conversation!

– A mystery guest, who requested anonymity, will talk about Santo Gold’s Blood Circus. This guest worked on the film and is also one of the very few who actually saw it in a theater!

– The Great Brian Last & Tom discuss a number of issues, including a totally wild Dr. Jerry Graham story, steroids, masked men and more! TR also tries out a new wrestling comedy bit he is working on.

– Scott Cornish briefly joins the show to read a goodbye letter from the Impressionist Jim Ross!

Call Somebody!

Right click to download

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The latest episode of legendary pro wrestling journalist Bill Apter’s podcast Is Wrestling Fixed? was released this morning. A new episode is released every Monday morning.

During this week’s episode Bill welcomes his friend “Mean” Gene Okerlund. During their conversation Bill breaks the news to Gene, who had not heard, that he has been inducted in to the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame. Gene was one of four men inducted this year alongside Daniel Bryan, Sting & the man the man generally considered the first American pro wrestling champion James MacLaughlin.

Gene Okerlund: Woah! Wait a minute! That is a surprise to me! Another bombshell!

Bill Apter: You didn’t know about this prior to our discussing this?

GO: No, I did not and that is a surprise. God, I mean, that is an honor because I’m a member of a couple of Hall of Fames but that is really a distinction. Dave, like you Bill, has had this tremendous credibility for not just a couple of years. Not five or ten years but a lifetime.

BA: I’m glad that I was able to be the one to let you know about this. I came in with 168 votes to your 237. Daniel Bryan came in with 282. You had a percentage of 67% which is incredible.

GO: That is a kick in the head. I am really elated. That never would have happened twenty years ago with David and myself because we kind of knocked heads. At that time, as you recall Billy, I had that WCW hotline. We had some differences of opinion on some of the things that happened in the industry.