The Wrestling Podcast Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Matisfaction
Global Mod

Re: The Wrestling Podcast Thread

Post by Matisfaction »

The regular fan isn't going to care to know the history of a Japanese comedy promotion where the 12 people in the crowd are "in on the joke". They're just going to see Omega with a blow up doll and be like "Oh, there's that guy from NJPW wrestling a blow up doll, wasn't he the world champion?". The video clip is more well known than the promotion at this point, so it's pretty irrelevant.

I really don't think it's that hard to see where Cornette is coming from here. You don't even have to agree with him to see that he has a point.

This is the exact same problem that Jim had with ROH, when he was trying to sell the product to a wider audience. He tried to get Steen to at least get in some kind of shape and Generico to drop the stupid Shindie gimmick, and of course what happens when they get called up to WWE? (a promotion with a much wider audience) you get Sami Zane and Steen gets in "better" shape.
I can't get no...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It's a moot point though because it was earlier in Kennys career. He broke away from the comedy stuff to establish himself to be the biggest free agent in wrestling. WWE put a 3 million dollar contract in front of him, he's responsible for a ton of fans being reinvested in the Puroresu scene when soon as Misawa sadly passed and Kobashi retired the interest level was minimal.

If Kenny Omega was perceived as a comedy wrestler it's highly unlikely WWE would throw a multi million dollar offer at him. Its not like he was Ebessan or Santino type of comedy gimmick either. I think Corny relies too heavily on the Old man yells at cloud schtick. That's not a knock on Jim, I find him entertaining and he's a historian of the business.

But he doesn't "get" modern wrestling which is why he's ranting about it. Again it's not a knock at Jim, but if he's talking about Okada doing too much and saying Kenny wrestled a young girl and blow up doll it's him commenting on clips fans are sending him.

It's like say someone sending tapes of an musicians demos from their early career which are unpolished, bad quality and comparing them to a major label properly mastered album. Kenny might have competed in comedy matches but he went beyond that to selling out the Tokyo Dome.

If Corny saw his 7 star match with Okada and looked at from a modern day perspective then I think he'd change his tune. If he's not giving modern wrestling a chance then he will be stuck in his ways. For me, the old Memphis, World Class, JCP, UWF/Mid South is great but I also think New Japan is great, WWE has its good moments, Impact is at least trying. It's like when people hate a certain type of music without giving it a try. Again I like Corny and he has a right to like what he does and doesn't. I do believe he needs to be more open minded and realise there's wrestling today which is just as good as before. In ring action has improved tremendously and not just high spots & false finishes, the psychology aspect has improved too. A lot of the golden age is wristlocks & headlocks. Nothing wrong with that, some of the World of Sport matches stand up today. But it's like say if a wrestler who did a podcast and was wrestling in the 40s/50s their point of view would be that wrestling from that era is the best. Whilst in 2019 it would be for most aspects of antiquated.

Corny does talk a lot of sense but I think he needs to be more versed on today's wrestling and give a more impartial viewpoint on it.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Matisfaction wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:05 pm The regular fan isn't going to care to know the history of a Japanese comedy promotion where the 12 people in the crowd are "in on the joke". They're just going to see Omega with a blow up doll and be like "Oh, there's that guy from NJPW wrestling a blow up doll, wasn't he the world champion?". The video clip is more well known than the promotion at this point, so it's pretty irrelevant.

I really don't think it's that hard to see where Cornette is coming from here. You don't even have to agree with him to see that he has a point.
He doesn't have a point. Has that clip hurt wrestling at all? Have people said "I was a wrestling fan but if they do this I'm done with it"? No. It hasn't even hurt Kenny Omega who is the most respected wrestler in the business right now. But you know what has driven fans away? Bad WWE millions of people see. And Cornette almost never talks about when WWE does something dumb because "I don't watch it." When was the last time he went on a WWE rant? The kid Nicholas winning the tag belts with Strowman? Everything else I've heard has him say "I don't watch their TV."

It's cool if Jim thinks the 80s were superior. But if you put on a show like Memphis now it wouldn't draw because the world has changed. Nobody is ever going to think wrestling is real anymore because in the 80s you didn't have UFC on every day in some form on cable where you can easily see the difference with what a real fight looks like. So people want a spectacle if they know it's fake. I mean, Brock doesn't even draw ratings anymore, and Rousey does better but is hardly setting the world on fire. So if they aren't going to believe in them they aren't going to believe in anybody.

This is the exact same problem that Jim had with ROH, when he was trying to sell the product to a wider audience. He tried to get Steen to at least get in some kind of shape and Generico to drop the stupid Shindie gimmick, and of course what happens when they get called up to WWE? (a promotion with a much wider audience) you get Sami Zane and Steen gets in "better" shape.
The two are unrelated. Steen did need to lose weight because his knees were bad because of it. And Steen being given time off to lose weight but then coming back even fatter was shitty on his part. I had no problem with what Cornette said about Steen. But Cornette didn't wish death on him like he did Omega over the DDT stuff.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dave lamenting his wife is the one who picks the movies the Meltzer family goes to see, so he probably won't be able to see Fighting With My Family because they don't like wrestling was pretty hilarious. Bryan sounded disappointed in him.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

IS THE UNDERTAKER ABOUT TO START PODCASTING?

Starrcast, LLC applied to trademark the term "Dead Man Talking" on 2/14, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

With the Undertaker announced as appearing at Starrcast this May in Las Vegas, it's obvious that the trademark filing is in related in some way to The Undertaker.

What is especially interesting is that the filing for the trademark makes reference to podcasts, which has to make one question whether there are plans for The Undertaker to start podcasting alongside Conrad Thompson as others from the wrestling business, including Bruce Prichard, Eric Bischoff and Tony Schiavone do.

It's also possible the filing is simply the title of a planned Undertaker appearance over Starrcast weekend, as that event has programming on stage with different wrestling personalities appearing for discussions.

The official description for the filing notes the "Dead Man Talking" is for Goods and Services, specifically, "Entertainment services, namely, personal appearances by a professional wrestler and sports entertainment personality; Entertainment services, namely, live appearances by a professional wrestler and sports entertainment personality; Entertainment services, namely, providing podcasts in the field of professional wrestling and sports entertainment; Entertainment services, namely, providing video podcasts in the field of professional wrestling and sports entertainment; Entertainment services, namely, wrestling exhibits and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer."

It should be very interesting to see what develops here.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I guess Something To Wrestle With is over so Conrad will need something or else he'll go crazy from arguing with Bischoff.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

That Jerry Jarrett interview with Meltzer made me think Jerry reminds me of Quincy Jones now. They're old, have done it all, and they don't have to give a shit so they'll say whatever they feel and don't care about hurt feelings anymore. So that makes a great interview. And both will reveal something very interesting as an aside because to them it's no big deal but it's profound. Like Jerry's story about trying to buy WCW. To him that's just old news he's bored talking about, but revealing WCW really didn't want to sell except to WWF was interesting. He was just like "Oh yeah, the WCW sale was the biggest work ever."

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I think he should. He's run out of people to interview on his podcast, so it would be cool to hear him interviewed about his 40 year career.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Agreed. He should be good with Conrad.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Until the Sooners play the Crimson Tide then they'll hate each other.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »