The Jim Cornette Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Jim Cornette Thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Bandit wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:24 am
Plus AEW is already more successful than TNA. TNA never had a buyrate even close to Double Or Nothing. I doubt they ever had as large of a venue sold out (maybe those UK shows were big, I don't remember. But they maxed out at like 2,000 tickets in the US. The one TNA show I went to didn't even have 1,000. It also sucked.)
Kurt Angle/Jeff Jarrett did 8,100 in 2009 at Wembley Arena which was their highest ever attendance. Domestically their highest was 6,700 in 2013 in San Antonio for Bully Ray/Jeff Hardy

http://oswreview.com/history/tna-attendance-records/

So yea the comparisons with TNA are really a moot point as Tony said they did 2000 WCW business with the PPV buys with Double or Nothing. There was (to my knowledge) no papering of the audience either (may have been some comps) so it was a legit sellout. All Out tickets sold out in record time too.

As for his argument regarding 18-34 males majority of their core audience right now is this demographic. Which of course was the same during the Attitude Era. Looking back at old Raws and PPVs you don't seen many if any families or older folks in the crowds either. But once AEW hits TNT and the audience grows you'll see a much wider range of ages etc. So I think it's Jim being negative and contrarian just for the sake of it and it keeps him relevant.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Bandit wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:14 am
MLW is good. But to act like AEW doesn't also have good talent is absurd.
Cornette has never said that, in fact he's put over a lot of the talent on the roster, some who also work for MLW.

In this week's experience, he put over a bunch of guys including Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus and even the Bucks.

It's people like "Jelly Janela", Joey Ryan and Orange Cassidy that he has a problem with, as he feels like it brings the rest of the show down.

I've said before that I think Cornette has a legit point, that Battle Royal was an embarrassment, especially as it's the kind of stuff that AEW fans give WWE grief for doing.
Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Did Corny & RF make a baby?
MJF also has a stable in MLW, they were involved in a ladder match and they find out that MJF is afraid of heights.. it's great stuff 👍

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:08 am

Well, that's good that he realized he was wrong about Luchasaurus. Although he really didn't have a choice after it was revealed Dusty co-created the gimmick.

The thing with Janela is that he's basically just a shorter Mick Foley. An out of shape guy who cuts good promos and will take any bump you ask of him. And Jim likes Foley matches so I don't get it. And I remember the older fans saying the exact same complaints about Foley in the mid-90s then they say about Janela now. "Oh he's a fat slob who just does stunts. This is kililng the business." I'm not saying Janela will be as big as Foley, since Mick was one of the biggest stars of the second most popular time in wrestling. But I think if you like one you have to like the other.

Ryan and Cassidy aren't even in AEW, so he shouldn't still be mad about Cassidy doing 30 seconds in a battle royal. I agree with his dislike of both, I hope they never come back. Pillman Jr. was the only good "guest star" in the battle royal. And I don't disagree the battle royal was bad, but they haven't brought back anybody he or the fans complained about. They highlighted MJF, Jungle Boy, Page, Spears and Luchasaurus in the match and Cornette likes them, so they appear to be doing what he wants. And that's the difference between AEW and WWE. AEW appears to have listened to the fans and Vince has had Baron Corbin in the main eventer tier for a year.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:27 pm