Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Ric Flair in Coma After Heart Attack

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

In his first interview since last month's health scare, Ric Flair detailed just how dire the problems were and how decades of alcohol abuse led to the situation.

Flair and Wendy Barlow, Flair's fiancee and formerly Fifi the Maid in WCW, spoke to People magazine last week at the physical therapy center Flair's recovering at in Georgia.

"The day he told me he had a stomach ache and it was really bad and he didn't feel good and we had to go was the day that saved his life, because he was slowly dying," Barlow said about the day she took Flair to the hospital. The years of heavy drinking led to organ problems and his bowel was "dying" before being put in a medically-induced coma and undergoing surgery.

Barlow noted that doctors told her that Flair only had a 20 percent chance of surviving the surgery. Flair said that he didn't know how bad things were at the time, but Charlotte told him that a doctor told her to go see her father because he wasn't going to make it.

Flair was able to survive the surgery, have a pacemaker installed, and get through the immediate dangers that he was facing. He's started some physical therapy, but Tina Johnson, a senior editor for People, said that Flair has a long road ahead of him and can't walk by himself yet.

Barlow credited her oldest daughter, the phone conversations she had with Steve Austin, and Hulk Hogan's support as helping her get through the scare. Hogan flew in and visited Flair in the hospital, with Flair reading a message that Hogan wrote to him: "The number of your days shall be filled. Now is the time to tell your story, now is the time to help millions of people. You are the greatest wrestler I have ever seen and have the honor to call a real friend. Love you my brother, you are 'The Man.''

The video feature detailed Barlow previously trying to get Flair help for his issues with alcohol. He said that he knows that he'll need to show people that he's really changed his lifestyle, but he wants to do motivational speaking and teach others that they need to pay attention to what's going on in their lives.

“I didn’t think I was an alcoholic, but obviously I was," Flair told People. “I’ll never drink again. I never want to go through this again.”

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Reminder that Ric Flair's 30 for 30 airs tonight. I know 95% of BG posters aren't in the US, but it will be up on torrents and whatever in probably 13 hours or so.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Ric Flair Thread

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

:olol:

It was pretty good. Lots of Flair bullshitting, but that's part of his charm and it's more believable than when Hogan does it. HBK was interesting, and it was cool to see Taker out of character for the first time since he was on Off The Record a long time ago. Too bad he doesn't do WWE documentary interviews because he has so much knowledge. And that AWA training sounds like they were in the Marines. People complained about the Power Plant, but that was way worse. Verne is underrated as a legit bad ass. And I cracked up about Schiavone's story where Flair took his dick out on a plane in front of Sting and started cutting a promo about his dick. Flair is the greatest.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's been too long since someone made a Flair rap, and nearly every promo from 1980-96 could be turned into a rap song.

Also The Coli forum (where that video is from) thread live watching the show is awesome

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/espn-30- ... 975/page-7

"Damn, Flair had those 80s PAWGs"

"UpUpDownDown in 2017

SnortSnortDrinkDrink in 1987"

"They making Flair's time in TNA sound like he was hoeing behind a Wendy's or some shyt." :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

We need some of those emoticons from the thecoli forum here. We also should have a Ric Flair rap song contest too.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I'll add one...

:wooooooo:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I thought it would be higher, at least getting what Raw gets. On paper it seems even the old fans who stopped watching after WCW closed should have watched too. Although granted ESPN shows 30 for 30 reruns constantly so maybe a lot of people thought there was no rush.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks for adding the Naitch emoticon Zoidy. I liked the 30 for 30, but was expecting a little more of the real Ric Flair. He's reminiscent of George Best but unfortunately for Bestie he couldn't maintain his lifestyle and soccer career. He went to play in the US at a relatively young age where in theory he could have still have been playing in the First Division. That Ric was constantly at the top for so many years considering how much alcohol he consumed is a surprise. I wonder how much is kayfabed though like Andre drank 150 beers in one sitting. His claim about 10,000 women he slept with seems embellished too but I'd imagine he has had lots of women over the years, just not that many. Kayfabe aside it's a good doc. I think ESPN could do ones on the following too

Hulk
Macho
Warrior
WCW
ECW
WWF during the Rock n Wrestling Era
WWF during the Attitude Era
The NWA rise and fall of the territory system

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

There is no real Flair. I remember Shane Douglas said in his 2004 shoot when he first went back to WCW thinking they were going to feud he tried to sit down and have a shoot conversation with him to patch things up since they'd been trashing each other for 5 years. He said he just talked to him like the Nature Boy. It's just that he came up in the 100% kayfabe era and really loves his gimmick. And I get that, because who wouldn't want to live like a rich playboy all the time. But his life would be so much easier if he'd have been able to turn it on and off. Stuff like "I had to buy 7 Rolexes because I said I had them in a promo" was ridiculous. Ted DiBiase wasn't buying 4 mansions because he said he had one for every season in promos.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Sadly I think Reid was trying to emulate his Dad and really he should have sat him down and said to him like you gotta stop now, you don't want to end up like me. But because he's Ric Flair 24/7 I doubt they had or could have had that type of conversation. Snoop was right to a degree because he had the bling bling lifestyle before it was commonplace in hip hop. I don't know if we'll ever see the real Ric Flair, maybe because he was adopted sadly he's got the assumption that he has to be larger than life and to prove his real parents wrong so to speak.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Plus his adoptive father sounds like he treated him shitty. Like Ric said when he first became a millionaire and bought a mansion with Beth his parents came over, he was proud to show how nice his house was and his father just bashed him for buying it and the expensive furniture which hurt his feelings. I think that part was the closest he got to the real Ric.

And yeah, Snoop was right about the black community loving Flair. In Baltimore, which is a predominantly African American city, no matter how big of a heel Flair was, he was never booed except against Dusty and Savage who black people also always loved. Hogan never got really over, and as we found out a few years ago, they were right not to pop for him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea they seemed against him being a pro wrestler too. His adoptive Dad was a medical doctor but still Naitch progressed to the top of his profession so in theory they should have been proud. Did Ric ever connect with his real parents?.

Muhammad Ali borrowed a lot of his patter from Georgeous George and the braggadocio that Ric, Superstar et al all harks back to Ali in his prime. Dusty IIRC borrowed from Sweet Daddy Siki who was one of his big influences. Yea they were very right not to pop for Hulk. Maybe because he came across as corny played a part too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

They like cool wrestlers and Hogan was never cool, even as Hollywood Hogan it was just goofy. They liked Flair, Dusty, Savage, Hall & Nash (and Hall as Razor Ramon), Rick Rude, WCW Vader, Rock, Big Poppa Pump, WWE Eddie Guerrero, RVD, Road Dogg, HBK, Batista, Lesnar & Heyman, to name some who got pops as heels in Baltimore.

I remember as a kid I went to a show when Savage was Macho King and feuded with Ultimate Warrior and they hated Warrior and popped for Savage and Sherri like they were in 1988. And I was a mark little kid back then so I didn't get it.