WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: WWE Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 am But WWE on the other hand is signing people to huge deals just to sign them so AEW can't.
It was a good move on Mike & Maria's part. Hint that you're going to AEW, get offered a good deal by WWE.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

WWE is campaigning to get Raw nominated for Best Structured Reality Show at the Emmys. Last year Queer Eye won that award.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Terrible show wants to get nominated in a shit category.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:29 pm
Bandit wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 am But WWE on the other hand is signing people to huge deals just to sign them so AEW can't.
It was a good move on Mike & Maria's part. Hint that you're going to AEW, get offered a good deal by WWE.
Bix is insinuating another reason why with this tweet

Surely WWE would have kept her employed in some capacity if she had such a huge secret she could have revealed on a shoot interview etc, especially during the height of the MeToo moment unless Ashley told her not to say anything. Sadly we will never know the real truth.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That could have something to do with it as well.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I hope that's not true. That would make her one of the worst people in wrestling (which, granted, is a long list.) But who knows. The answer was so vague it could have been truthful or a slimey way to dodge. Maybe if she ever does an interview again someone will press her on it.

But beyond Ashley Masarro she does have real dirt. She was a member of the company when they treated the women the worst including pretty much forcing them to pose nude for Playboy. They never said it, but looking at the career downfalls of anyone who said no since Sunny spoke volumes.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Considering they are seen as just as a wrasslin company in the mainstream, how they operate behind the scenes is really eye opening. Nothing surprises me now that is involved with WWE because of the depths they have gone and will unfortunately continue to do so.

So it wouldn't be a surprise if they gave Maria and Mike a 5 year deal as a "thank you" for her keeping quiet. Considering she was in the video talking about Ashley to her Daughter that would come across as very messed up if she's not spoke up and covered up the sexual assault with WWE.

She had a huge opportunity to speak out and to help Ashley's daughter and family get justice for her but that's unlikely to happen now sadly. I can't see her ever answering any questions about what happened to Ashley, unless she has to, but even then she'll be protected by WWEs legal team. That would be catastrophic PR wise if the story is confirmed and if they expose their other "secrets".

It's a shame there's no real investigative reporter who could really go deep into WWEs background and uncover the real truth about all the things they and Vince have been accused of. But that's very unlikely to ever happen because
a) WWE legal department would shut down any story/stories being published and
b) majority of the mainstream is unlikely to care.

To go from requesting their release to a 5 year deal doesn't make much sense. Yea to keep them from AEW but they'd only be lower/mid card talent anyway, so it's not like a AJ or Brock coming in.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

This is from a 2016 article
According to the docs, “Upon her return to the United States, she was seen by Dr. Rios who interviewed her about the incident. Dr. Rios reported the incident to WWE executives who soon thereafter met with Massaro to apologize for their negligence but persuaded her that it would be best not to report it to appropriate authorities.”

The lawyer adds, “This incredible situation derives from the WWE’s employment misclassification scheme wherein the WWE (deems itself) neither responsible for Massaro’s safety (despite being on a WWE tour in the Middle East) nor does the WWE deem itself responsible to report or collect data about incidents such as this. The WWE in order to protect its public image and insulate itself from paying for its injured workers prefers to remain silent.”
http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/ashley ... l-assault/

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Again, I don't know if the allegations are true. Even if Maria is a bad person selling out her former friend for money, Jimmy Hart was also involved and by all accounts he's a good guy. So he'd have to be lying too if her story is true. Ron Simmons I wouldn't trust since he's cut from the same cloth as JBL. But Jimmy Hart seems like a guy who has a conscience. And he's not really getting that much from WWE since most of his work seems to be coming from conventions and appearances at indies I don't think WWE is involved with booking. He was signing autographs at the GCW death match tournament a few weeks ago and I doubt they would book him there.

Also, they're not the only low card acts WWE tried to sign to a bigger deal than they deserve. Remember Rhyno got a similar offer and turned it down, and Rhyno is pretty low on the totem pole. It could just be WWE has tons of money and doesn't want AEW to have the satisfaction of signing anybody from WWE if they can help it. The Moxley situation would surely make them petty (which they're known for being anyway.)

So I don't want to crucify Maria for something there's no evidence she did. Maybe she did, as we know from the Moolah story there are women who have been silent about rapes in the business before. But we can't prove that.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Right until there's concrete evidence we can't point fingers at Maria, Jimmy, Ron and WWE/Vince for covering it up. WWE operates in such a weird way if they are brought to task for any "alleged" misdeeds. I mean, McDevitt tried to push Daniel Benoit as having Fragile X when Chris Benoit's father said he never had it at all. So they do "allegedly" cover their backs and will disparage anyone questioning what they are up to.

Jimmy is a good guy but he's not the type to make any waves. He likely would no doubt have supported Ashley in private but I can't see him speaking out against WWE. I don't know much about Ron outside the ring so I can't comment on his personality. Same with Maria.

It could be something simple as WWE have excess funds and what to stockpile talent. Which is a much preferable explanation than being rewarded for not speaking out in support of their friend. Like you say, Moolah did allegedly some real bad things and you have some of the ladies who were actually involved standing up for her and that is real confusing. All we know is that the wrestling biz is super shady af, but by the 2000s you'd have thought they would have cleaned it up and made it a more safer working environment.

I think you could fill series after series of Dark Side of the Ring if some of these stories were unearthed. Especially in the 1980s and it's not just exclusive to WWE either but across the board. But like you've said before, the media don't report on them because wrestling isn't taken seriously enough by the mainstream.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ah so its next year, makes sense I guess & explains why the BT guy I spoke to about my broadband seemed confused that I mentioned it the other day when asking about upgrade packages to get it as he said he wasnt aware the news was out yet (of course BT currently supply it anyway through uh.... other means)

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

This was filmed after his real wedding and he really did wear the belt during the ceremony.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

So multiple things I've read lately say that Vince is now refusing to even hear suggestions from his stars. Say what you want about Vince but I've always heard he was at least somewhat willing to listen to what his talent has to say, until now.

Anyone think this is odd?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It has been that way for a while. Cena was the last one who could get what he wanted. His attitude since then is "the brand matters, not an individual." Which is why all the WWE fans going on about "Oh, if The Elite signed they'd have creative control" were so dumb. Vince would shit on BTE if he ever saw it just like he shit on the Broken Hardys stuff from TNA and killed that off when they came.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea, no way they'd have any creative control. He'd bring Moppy out of storage for Kenny who'd be "The Cleaner", as in an actual cleaner gimmick. Young Bucks would have to wear polystyrene Bucks heads to the ring, Hangman they'd have dressed like Jimmy Jack Funk and Cody would be back to being Stardust.

If Tony and Shadid Khan didn't set up AEW, they might as well stayed on the indies and did their own thing. Even if they brought Marty in to say NXT he'd be a comedy character in a week. Whereas there's a lot of growth creatively for him if he goes to AEW and makes the Villian an even darker character in a TV-14 framework. Whilst in WWE they'd be selling the mask he wears to the ring and doing the Woop Woop as a comedy bit. Which yea arguably it is to a degree, but he'd be doing it the entirety of the match. Look at what they did with Terry Taylor for example, he had that Red Mohawk and had him strutting like a Rooster.

So yea, creatively the talent are stuck with what they're given now. No wonder a lot want out of their contracts. They even turned the Usos in a comedy face team where on SmackDown they came across as good heels.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »