All Elite Wrestling Thread (Full Gear Nov 9th) AEDub!

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (All-In)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Dave has said that he's probably signed something that will stop him from going to AEW, at least for a while, which is why they let him go.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:32 pm

Ok thanks Zoidy. Apparently CIMA is going to be at the rally and they want other surprises too (one although not really a surprise per se, is likely to be Kenny Omega) & Bea Priestly. Speaking of the rallies, they are reportedly to be as expensive as a ROH taping, with the only revenue coming in is via some merch sales. So ideally they need to start running live events etc as soon as possible really, since they are already in the red.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:49 am

Yeah, Meltzer confirmed that. Matt Sydal might go too. He left on bad terms with both WWE and especially New Japan (he was arrested for marijuana possession in Japan which is still a huge deal) so it's either AEW or MLW.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:36 am

Read something interesting but not sure how accurate it is. Its from thecoli but not sure of the original source(s)
AEW has a deal with NJPW, who has already been promoting the company. This will allow for excursions and talent exchange. They're also paying Meltzer to keep it kayfabe. He could spill a lot more, privy to tons, but he is literally on their payroll.

Kenny will have a founder's deal that will see him capable of making more money than if he just took a WWE contract, a franchise building legacy that elevates him into living legend, and he'll work with people he has voluntarily and happily worked with for years.

And oh my god people, you do not do the "refused the countout victory" angle in one's last match in NJPW, of all places. He pulled Tana back into Ace position, created worldwide buzz, and is sitting comfortably amidst the maelstrom.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:55 am

That's bullshit. New Japan won't make any deal until after the MSG show. And even then might wait to see how things go with ROH guys as their US talent. ROH did a lot for New Japan and The Elite had issues with the new management, so they may want to see if they can do without them for a few months out of loyalty. I don't think ROH has anyone who can draw in Japan like Kenny, so if business dips they'd absolutely make a deal. But it would be May at the earliest and maybe next year at the latest. Plus AEW isn't even running yet beyond their May PPV. They don't have any shows lined up after that and they'd need to be booking venues now if they were.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm not sure what their source(s) are, I imagine it was more of an assumption they made. There's not much about AEW out there because it's only been like a month since they've been in existence and it's likely they are keeping their cards close to their chest regarding which talent they will sign etc. I believe Kenny's New Japan deal expires today, but it's more than likely if he is going to AEW then they'll announce it on the 7th. I would also assume it will allow him to work with NJPW since he's one of the main reasons for their success in the US & overseas in terms of getting fans more heavily invested in the Puroresu scene again which is probably just as big now as it was in the Kobashi, Misawa, Doc & Gordy, Kawada, Vader years for All Japan and Muta/Chono et al NJPW.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:19 pm

The thing is paying Dave or every wrestling writer wouldn't matter because Forbes and sports sites are covering AEW too due to Shahid Kahn. So it's a story bigger than wrestling websites.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:26 am

I think Dave is arguably the preeminent pro-wrestling writer/historian so having him on board means it's likely he'd keep kayfabe for signings, storyline arcs not being spoiled, good match ratings etc. Think of it similar to when record labels paid DJs to play their artists music on the radio. Dave is essentially a tastemaker and a lot of fans rely on his word to check out non WWE product etc.

But I think it would be conflict of interest if he still wrote the Observer and had to be unbiased and not report on say if there was any heat backstage with AEW or if he knows Kenny has already commited to AEW but was told to keep quiet so the reveal will be a surprise. Plus on BTE, Daves been on there and he's pals with the Bucks and I think Kenny too so there is a connection there already.

So I think the point they were getting across is if Dave is on board he's not going to detail who AEW have their eyes on in terms of talent acquisition and won't report in such a way like he does on WWE etc. That is if he's on payroll or he might be doing his buddies a favour and not putting their business out there. Since they have to be making major moves behind the scenes with TV, sponsors, sorting things for Double or Nothing etc.

If it were say WWE restarting WCW, Dave I'm sure would have all the details already and be reporting it in the Observer. So whilst I don't think he's on AEW payroll, I think he's doing his friends a favour and not putting all he knows out there. Which I prefer, since at the rally, anyone who turns up (aside from the names reported) will be a surprise and I think that adds to the excitement.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:46 am

Something from an older BTE (from 2017), Kenny mentioned one of his career goals was to wrestle AJ at a WrestleMania. Not sure if that still factors in to his decision making and it would be too rushed now storyline wise for this years Mania if he decided to sign with WWE and they built up a Omega v Styles match. Plus another "dream match" in WWE - Styles v Nakamura fell way short of the hype.

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/02/01 ... torylines/

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/02/01 ... wwe-bound/

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:43 am

Game Changing signing for AE Dub!
Spoiler
Show

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:48 am

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 am

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:54 am

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm

I'll spoiler this in case anyone hasn't seen the vid yet
Spoiler
Show
FLIP~!, but no Marty unfortunately. The end bit with Kenny talking to Nick sounded cryptic. Like KO was indicating he has two paths to take in his career and was using the ResEvil game as an analogy. I think Leon is supposed to represent WWE & Claire is AEW. At the end he choses Claire so maybe he is headed to AEDub. They have their Double or Nothing pool party/rally on Thursday so we'll find out then I assume. Although I have a hunch Kenny's took the WWE offer with the six month clause and will join up with his buddies down the line. Plus, he talks about speaking to Marty, and he's under contract to ROH, so not sure what that was in reference to. Unless he signs with NJPW and still works ROH (cause they have the partnership with each other) then goes to AEW. It could all just be smoke & mirrors too to make the fans doubt where Kenny's going since most assume because he's best mates are Nick & Matt he'll go along with them. We'll see...

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 am

Rumoured to be...
Spoiler
Show

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:08 am

I think he will stay. Unlike Dean he likes working for WWE and is said to be friends with Vince. Although he is also friends with the Elite guys. But if nothing else he will get a huge deal to stay.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Social media is now saying that it's not him but Cody wants to sign Randy Orton

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/vide ... -wrestling

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:19 pm

Meanwhile at the Omega residence...

Phone rings

Kenny: Hello?

Cody: KENNY!!! How you doin? Made that all important decision yet? Huh?

Kenny: Umm, well I still really can't decide between Leon and Claire, I mean, I could choose both, I don't know which one I should....

Cody: No, not that...between us and Vince...THAT DECISION!

Kenny: .... Thanks for interrupting me Cody...

Cody: You're welcome!, so it's us...huh? right? The Elite The The Elite, say it with me Kenny!!!!

Kenny: .......

Cody: Kenny you still there?

Kenny: ......

Cody: Kenny?!

Kenny: YES

Cody: Great!, you'll never guess who we've made an offer to, BIG WWE STAR

Kenny: AJ?

Cody: Nope

Kenny: Is it Shinsuke?

Cody: Nah

Kenny: Finn?

Cody: No

Cody: Think BIG!

Kenny: Hangman?!, he's already with you guys and he's not...

Cody: No not that type of big Kenny

Kenny:.....

Cody: Oh sorry for interrupting you my man

Kenny: Is it Cena?

Cody: No, no...think SNAKES!!

Kenny: Jake?

Cody: No...think BIG STAR!!!

Kenny: Oh, Stone Cold, the Rattlesnake...

Cody: No, no...get this Kenny...THE VIPER!!!, RANDY ORTON!!!!

Kenny: (click)

Cody: Kenny...whatcha think?!, neat huh?...KENNY, oh he must have hung up in excitement

Back to Kenny

Kenny: Hey Don, you still got a spot me for the Impact roster?...I can still work New Japan...