All Elite Wrestling Thread (Full Gear Nov 9th) AEDub!

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Fyter Fest 6-29-19) AEDub!

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:59 pm

TNA was just a weird situation where people would watch it for free every week for 6 years on Spike but never want to spend a dollar on a ticket, PPV or shirts. Even in the periods when it was good. And supposedly their house shows were very good because they'd give the X Division guys time. They had a steady 20,000 people who bought every PPV and that was it.They peaked at 55,000 once for the Joe-Angle MMA match. But when they were doing a million and over viewers a week that's a failure. AEW had nothing but word of mouth and a youtube show that's mostly comedy and doubled that.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:25 am

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:41 am

Bandit wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:59 pm
TNA was just a weird situation where people would watch it for free every week for 6 years on Spike but never want to spend a dollar on a ticket, PPV or shirts. Even in the periods when it was good. And supposedly their house shows were very good because they'd give the X Division guys time. They had a steady 20,000 people who bought every PPV and that was it.They peaked at 55,000 once for the Joe-Angle MMA match. But when they were doing a million and over viewers a week that's a failure. AEW had nothing but word of mouth and a youtube show that's mostly comedy and doubled that.
Yea, TNA had a string of great PPVs back in like 05/06 but never really broke out to be a legit competitor to WWE. I would think AEW are way ahead of being profitable already in their first six months. Having Kenny is huge for them since I'm assuming a lot of their fan base is due to his success in Japan. Y2J can be credited for their success too. I'm wondering whether and I'll spoiler this in case
Spoiler
Show
They are bringing in Punk for their Chicago show and fans want to be there to see his return to wrestling.
That, or fans are so tired of WWE they want to support a real alternative and they've build up a lot of goodwill already with the fan base. But you could argue on the indie scene and in Japan Kenny, the Bucks, Adam and Cody are big names already because of the Bullet Club etc and those fans who buy their merch etc are supporting their new venture. AEW has that cool underground vibe to it too which is appealing to fans tired of WWEs stagnant PG product.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:18 am

Bandit wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:25 am
Cool video, they could have some of the OWE guys fill a similar role to what the Crusierweights did for WCW. Also if AEW can tap into the Chinese market with them and make wrestling popular in China that would be gigantic for them in terms of potential audience.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:35 am

Maybe Punk will join but remember people thought he'd be at the other two shows. Never say never but he doesn't need the money and has said for 5 years he doesn't love the business anymore. If he did come I'd rather it be on their first TV show to give it that "you can't miss it" feeling Nitro had the first two years.

But 5 years is a long time to be away from the ring, plus he probably has injuries from MMA training. So the question is if you don't need money and lost your passion, why not leave on top where the fans always remember you in your prime instead of being Undertaker or somebody wrestling well under the standard he had 5 years ago.Punk not coming back is like if Taker retired after Wrestlemania 26. And few people are Chris Jericho that can come and go in their 40s and still be good. Most wrestlers will be like Tully Blanchard trying that ECW comeback where it was clear his magic was gone after leaving for 4 years.

But he also tweeted

Although the NHL season begin in October and he's a diehard hockey fan.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:08 am

Forget about CM Punk. We just received confirmation on wrestling's true superstar~!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:44 am

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Bandit wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:08 am
Forget about CM Punk. We just received confirmation on wrestling's true superstar~!

PHAROAH~! Cool they are donating the proceeds of the Meet & Greet at Starrcast III for the animal charity too.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Bandit wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:35 am
Maybe Punk will join but remember people thought he'd be at the other two shows. Never say never but he doesn't need the money and has said for 5 years he doesn't love the business anymore. If he did come I'd rather it be on their first TV show to give it that "you can't miss it" feeling Nitro had the first two years.

But 5 years is a long time to be away from the ring, plus he probably has injuries from MMA training. So the question is if you don't need money and lost your passion, why not leave on top where the fans always remember you in your prime instead of being Undertaker or somebody wrestling well under the standard he had 5 years ago.Punk not coming back is like if Taker retired after Wrestlemania 26. And few people are Chris Jericho that can come and go in their 40s and still be good. Most wrestlers will be like Tully Blanchard trying that ECW comeback where it was clear his magic was gone after leaving for 4 years.

But he also tweeted

Although the NHL season begin in October and he's a diehard hockey fan.
Very good point about Punk retiring on top. In a lot of ways that's for the best. It sucks to see the older guys still have to wrestle when they're past their prime, trying to relive old glories. I mean like Jake in Beyond the Mat, that sucked to see him go from being a top guy in the WWF to doing small indie shows and how far he had fallen.

I find those scenes with his daughter as bad as the ones with Rock hitting Cactus with the chair multiple times and them filming his wife and children's reactions. Even 20 years on that's still uncomfortable viewing. But back to AEW.

AEW of course are in theory the number 2 US promotion with TV and a live ticket, merch and PPV market which is on fire. So if CM Punk does come back then AEW is definitely the place to be. But if he's intent on staying with the MMA and isn't into wrestling no more then that's ok because to see him have to come back and not be the Punk of old would suck.

But say they bring in him just to face Kenny and then he transitions to an on air role like part of the announce team I think that would be just as good. A Punk/Excalibur announce team would be cool. Then you keep JR to call the big main event matches with them and have Alex do a AEW podcast or do the analysis type of deal like the old Event centre segments Gordon Solie and Bisch did.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:07 am

Arn Anderson wrote:I wasn't at the show. I was there doing some signings and I did a stage show that I did with Tony Schiavone, which was absolutely awesome, and I didn't go to the show. Because I didn't want anybody coming up because make no mistake about it, I do not work for AEW, we haven't had that discussion as of yet and not to say I wouldn't be honored somewhere down the road to be offered a position with those guys, we just haven't had that conversation because quite frankly, I am legally bound to a non-disclosure agreement and for a few more months I am going to be still on a severance package. I can't talk to anybody about anything as far as going forward but with that being said I was so excited for them that I might as well have been working for them because I was pulling for them every step of the way and they paid it off.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:15 am

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:46 am

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:14 am

Just added to Fyter Fest: In a match where the winner gets a bye in the tag titles tournament: Best Friends vs Private Party vs SCU (Scorpio Sky & Kazarian)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:45 pm

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:42 am

AEW applied for the trademark Wednesday Night Dynamite. Wednesdays would be best because they'd be pre-empted half of the year for the NBA and confuse viewers. And Wednesday isn't a night with anything going on. South Park is the only show I can even think of that comes on Wednesdays. And looking at the ratings from last Wednesday I can't see anything wrestling fans would have to choose between watching that and AEW.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:35 am

New BTE~!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:16 am

The MJF and Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus stuff was great. As was learning that Kenny has a Dance Dance Revolution arcade game in his living room. I now want to believe Kenny never goes to the gym and all of his training is just playing DDR.

I was hoping Joey would be done, he's lame and if he's not even in AEW they should stop putting him on.