Wrestling questions thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Wrestling questions thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:25 pm

I was wondering who wrote all those really good angles in early 90s WWF like the Rockers break up, Jake/Macho, Jake/Warrior/Taker etc. Thanks

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Pat Patterson, Bruce Prichard and Vince. I think Jake had input on his angles to where he didn't come up with the ideas but helped fill in the details.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:23 am

Thanks. Seems they were trying to go in a different direction as you had those really good angles in comparison to things like Rocco with the LOD, Jamison and the Bushwhackers etc. That era of the WWF was interesting too as you had Davey Boy & Warrior were fired, Hulk & LOD left (Hawk first then Animal with a back injury) the Nailz debacle etc.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:55 am

Yeah 1992 was underrated. WCW was good as well. 1993 was dogshit for both WWF and WCW. But WWF got better in 1994 with Bret on top and Shawn getting a big push. I think Cornette was involved that year.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:01 am

WCW had Steamboat/Rude, Sting/Cactus, Vader, Dangerous Alliance. Plus Liger/Pillman at Super brawl II. And yea 1993 WWF was bad, 94 WWF had Bret/Owen, Bob Backlund etc. I think that was underrated too. Especially liked the Bret/Bob match where Owen got the towel thrown in. Great angle and so simple too on paper. Those work the best I think since they are realistic. Things like Kama melting down Takers Urn the following year :rofl2: 95 WWF was a bit meh but they picked it up a bit in 96. 1997 WWF is underrated too. Bret and the Hart foundation, Rise of Austin, DX being formed etc. Plus WWF finally moving away from PG and the Attitude Era really began with the Austin 3:16 promo but 97 laid the foundation.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:06 am

WWF and WCW sucked in 1995 before the Monday Night War motivated them to get good. The only pre-MNW 1995 top angle I liked was Savage vs crazy Flair. They had some really good matches. But WWF got good in October 1995.

ECW was awesome the whole year, though. But most people didn't see it since they were just in syndication on the east coast of the US then.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:24 am

Yea I didn't see ECW til it first aired here (around 97 and they showed like 95/96 era ECW which was good). Mainly it was WWF here. I don't think WCW was aired for a while as ITV dropped them in 94 sometime. But yea 95 in WWF and WCW wasnt good. You had Million Dollar Corporation mainly with guys like King Kong Bundy who last was in WWF like 1988 if I'm correct. In theory Vince could have signed up Raven, Cactus, Sandman,Dreamer et al or followed what Paul E was doing sooner. I don't think I saw the Flair/Macho angle but didnt he bring in Liz to piss off Macho and Naitch had Woman and Liz as his valets?. I'll have to have some of the old Nitro's again. TNT UK used to replay them all then WCW moved to Bravo and it stopped. I think I'll give 95 WWF a pass :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:36 am

Liz and Woman was 1996. The 1995 feud was when Flair went crazy and beat up Angelo Poffo after he was inducted into the WCW HOF for great heat. Then Flair beat Savage in front of Angelo on Father's Day. It was great, but the rest of WCW mostly sucked. Too much Jim Duggan (he must have wrestled 600 matches that year) and not enough Vader.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:19 am

OK thanks, I'll have to watch the old Nitro episodes again. I did watch the first Nitro a while back though.

Has anyone put together a year in review type deal (I guess it would like an almanac) where they go month by month and add like the best matches/events to watch and also the worse. I guess you could do that from old Observers. Would be interesting way to go through the classic content on the Network that way too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:27 am

This was before Nitro. Their feud actually ended right before Nitro began with the BATB 95 lumberjack match the blow off. But it restarts after Flair beats Savage at Starrcade 95 for the title and ends in the spring of 96 right before the Outsiders debut.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:52 am

Thanks. Yea I don't think WCW aired here during that period or if it did I don't recall seeing it. Weirdly ITV dropped WCW or their contract wasn't renewed etc and this was shortly after Hogan came in. We got WCW Pro, then WCW Worldwide. Pro aired early hours of the morning, in like mid 92 (maybe a bit earlier) it moved to like 5pm Saturday (or before UK Gladiators) then when the boom here ended back in the early hours. I think WWF stayed quite a prominent place on Sky along with the Soccer and Cricket.