Wrestling questions thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Wrestling questions thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Could be. I think it's him indirectly saying to Vince that he's grabbed the brass ring with both hands and he's playing the company guy to appease him. He's been at Mox yet again but I doubt he even cares what Seth's saying. He's found a new lease of life with NJ and AEW and I think Seth's really salty about that. I found it amusing he's saying that the best wrestling in the world is in WWE when it's crystal clear that's in New Japan. WWE has a very talented roster of wrestlers but they don't even utilise them to their best abilities.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:57 pm

You can't use wrestlers to their best abilities where you script how many punches they're gonna throw at 11:50 in the match and god forbid they throw one more or less because they might get heat with Vince or a writer or an agent or who knows. Seth Rollins is so much better than being a mouthpiece for Vince.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 pm

I agree Seth is better than parroting on how great WWE is. But he's been taking shots at Will Ospreay, Mox and saying fans are jealous of him and Becky if they are critical of the product. The buck stops with Vince so if he's serious about WWE being the best wrestling in the world how about he goes about getting in Vince's ear about changing things. The Kliq , especially Shawn seemed to dictate the pace, so maybe he could do the same but not selfishly but for the betterment of the product. If they were serious with the roster they have, a WWE G1 style tournament could be really cool too if they put their best talent in it and tear up the script and just let them go out and wrestle.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:01 am

I was thinking, with AEW starting TV in October could they or WWE ever go back to the old formula were its name talent vs enhancement and one big match per show like they used to do on Wrestling Challenge, Superstars etc. It would keep talent fresh and made PPV matches more important and more must see.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:47 am

Don't think so, but there's no reason why they couldn't have a 2 or 3 name talent vs enhancement talent matches per show to pad things out a bit.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:22 am

It's a dead formula. Fans haven't had it for almost 25 years so they wouldn't watch a new promotion doing it. Plus TNA tried it in 2004 when they were on Fox Sports and it flopped.

What they can do is make Jobber To The Stars guys like Brandon Cutler, Nakazawa, The Librarian and others. But doing a "here's Johnny McJobber having 1 minute and 45 seconds with Cody before we pitch to a pre-tape of Shawn Spears and then Van Vliet pitching the next PPV" show is over. Full-on jobber squashes are reserved for a Strowman killer heel type once a show.

I used to think WWE could do it, but not with the new TV deals.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:02 am

Thanks. I think if they signed like Brian Cage or Ryback and you put them up against 2 or 3 enhancement guys to showcase him that could do a lot in terms of character development without "feeding" them the higher echelon talent. But like you say Brandon, Mike Nakazawa and The Librarian can fill that role.

Ditching the old formula was more so out of necessity with WCW and WWF having to put marquee matches on up against each other. Majority of TV wrestling was built on name talent vs enhancement for years. I do think like Zoidy says it would pad the show out and also be something different if they did a match or two to showcase some new talent. The formula seems antiquated but it does still serve a purpose to a degree as with AEW they could cycle through some indie talent as enhancement to keep the product fresh and they don't have a huge roster like WWE does so that would break up seeing the same talents against each other multiple times as it lessens the demand to see them again on PPV.