Wrestling questions thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Wrestling questions thread

Post by Bandit » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:19 am

I give them a break on that. Those poor guys were beat to shit having to work 300 dates a year. So nobody was thinking about a 5 star match like Ric. Plus it didn't really matter in the 80s since only a tiny handful of people were trading for VHS camcorder tapes of house shows. So it was new to all of the fans. And just seeing stars live was enough back then.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 am

Multiple wrestlers have talked about working three shows a day during a boom period. I cannot even fucking fathom that.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 am

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:41 am

If there was no Monday Night Wars boom what would the wrestling landscape look like today?. By 1995 I think WWFs business was way down and WCW was probably just breaking even or making a small profit so could they survived when wrestling was declining in popularity?. Does the boom still happen when they catch on with what ECW are doing or does Ted say enough is enough and sells WCW and Vince goes back to a pre-84/85 type WWF in terms of their level of popularity where only the diehards watch.

The whole Monday Night Wars eras significance is bigger than it's thought of. They are still really riding that wave although it's diminished considerably to what it was. But there's fans still sticking around who first watched back then and WWE still has somewhat of a buzz because of that era too. If there was no War with WCW and ECW didn't catch on I don't think WWE would have closed shop totally but when you consider how other promotions did it makes you wonder what wrestling in 2019 would be like without that boom period.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:42 am

Ratings were good enough before September 1995 for both companies to have kept their TV deals. At least until AOL and Time Warner merged, then WCW still may have been dropped. But then again, WCW may have survived post-2001 because they wouldn't have been losing $80 million without the MNW. Maybe WCW just losing $5 million but still bringing in 2 million viewers or more a week for WCW Saturday Night would have been worth it to TBS.

Could there still have been a boom? It depends on what they did. If WCW still does the nWo angle on WCW Saturday Night and Austin is still pushed like he was, yes. If Vince was more conservative and decided to go with one of the bigger guys and Hall and Nash don't jump because WCW isn't paying them that amount of money without the MNW then no.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:49 am

Someone would have found a way to engineer a boon down the line. Wrestling is, has been, and will always be cyclical, and in the late nineties it was ripe to come out of a down period. I think if the Monday Night War boom hadn't happened, we would have merely seen some kind of internet-focused boom in the early 2000's that would have amounted to much the same thing.