Wrestling questions thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Wrestling questions thread

Post by Bandit » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:19 am

Yeah, looking at it now it's fucking ridiculous and would never happen today. Brock would lay down for Finn Balor Sunday if Vince asks him with no argument. But Montreal was the last gasp of the kayfabe era.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:18 am

Yea definitely. Another interesting factor, in hindsight it created the Mr McMahon gimmick which turned the tide of the Monday Night Wars in the WWFs favour when Vince feuded with Stone Cold. Without Montreal, I doubt we'd have seen the "evil" Vince character.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:32 am

That's an interesting question. They did do the angle in September when Austin argued with Vince about his medical clearance and gave him the stunner. So that was probably laying the foundation. And he did do Mr. McMahon in 1993 for USWA. But Russo (for whatever his word is worth) said Vince never considered being a heel character until the fan backlash against him convinced him to make money off of it. He only wanted to be the announcer they didn't often acknowledge owned the company.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:30 am

Yea I forgot about when Vince did that in the USWA. "McMemphis" as its referred to. Most wrestling purists I assume back in the day disliked Vince for going national taking the best talent out of the territories and for the more cartoony type product, so you could say he was Mr McMahon back in the early/mid 80s. Also he came up with the Million Dollar Man gimmick for himself but gave it to Ted instead.

http://www.wrestlelist.com/ted-dibiase- ... onal-idea/

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:21 am

Been watching BTE and there's a bit where they are talking with Marty about going up to heavyweight in New Japan.

I'm assuming you go up in weight classes there as you get more established and that was originally in place for trainees from the NJPW dojo to aspire to as they'd be junior heavyweights when they started out. Although you have guys like Jushin Liger et al who competed in Best of Super Junior tournaments/Super J cup when they already established.

So maybe it's just down to weight classes thoughand if you 225lbs + you're classed as a heavyweight.