MMA Thread (UFC/Bellator et al)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: MMA Thread (UFC/Bellator et al)

Post by Bandit »

Bas Rutten compares Conor to Mike Tyson losing touch with reality due to fame.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's a great point actually. Had Cus still been alive we would have seen a much different Iron Mike. He'd be up there with Ali in the discussion of GOAT.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Exactly right. Conor's team is starstruck by him. And you need a guy like D'Amato who didn't care how famous and wealthy you got, he was going to keep you grounded. Cus would have slapped the shit out of Tyson in the middle of the Buster Douglas fight to get him to wake up and get back on track to win.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Literally nobody was waiting for this fight. Tito was KO'ed decisively twice back when people still wanted to pay to see them fight.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

People are already complaining about Chael Sonnen getting an ESPN show. But Dave makes a good point about Chael on ESPN: He's probably going to be told he's not being ridiculous enough for those shows. He's going to look tame compared to Smith & Kellerman yelling at each other for 3 hours.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Two weeks after ESPN officially got into the UFC game with 15 shows for its OTT platform, the Disney-owned sports media giant doubled down, adding another 27 events to its package that begins in 2019, ending the Fox era.

Variety had the scoop in the early morning hours of Wednesday that the Sports Business Journal's John Ourand confirmed and added more details to. It's expected that an official announcement is imminent.

The new deal is for five years and a total value of $1.5 billion. ESPN outbid Fox Sports for the contract that kicks off in earnest this January. Ourand said NBC Sports and Turner Sports were also interested.

The breakdown of shows, courtesy of Ourand, is as follows:

- 20 yearly ESPN+ events
- 10 yearly shows on ESPN linear TV
- 12 yearly PPV prelim events on ESPN linear

UFC will run 12 PPVs per a year while Fight Pass exclusive shows weren't mentioned.

While twice the yearly amount UFC was getting in their initial Fox deal, the annual contract value of $300 million is considerabily less than the $400-$450 million the company reportedly was looking for post-Endeavor sale.

Dave Meltzer and others had said UFC had a standing offer of $200 million from Fox for a package of shows even after the initial ESPN deal. Given Fox's reported 5 year, $1 billion deal for WWE SmackDown, questions remain on how that affected negotiations and whose decision it was to move on.

If all reported numbers from the past week come to pass, WWE's annual North American TV contract values for Raw and SmackDown would be more than UFC's, something that just a year ago seemed highly unlikely.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Round 3 of the Punk fight was just sad to watch. He just flat out sucks at every level besides having heart not to quit. No cardio, no strength, no skill. Mike Jackson was awful too. And he may be worse because he's so full of himself for being so bad, at least Punk knows he sucks.
Though Dana White took a similar approach after his first loss, it appears that CM Punk won't be getting another shot in the UFC.

"It should be a wrap," White replied when asked about Punk fighting in the company again at the post-UFC 225 press conference. "The guy is 39 years old. I love the guy -- he's the nicest guy in the world. We gave him two shots, and he had a lot of heart tonight in this fight. And, yeah, I think he should call it a wrap."

Punk didn't speak to the media on Saturday night due to being transported to the hospital for a facial CT scan after losing a one-sided unanimous decision to Mike Jackson. He later sent out a tweet after the show: "You win some, you lose some! I'm 1-1 this week and I'll take it! Thanks to my team, my family, my friends, and THE FANS! Wouldn't be here without any of you. Respect to @TheTruthJackson, thanks for the fight! You only live once, and... I'M ALIVE!"

While White credited Punk for the heart he showed, he wasn't a fan of Punk's opponent. White said Jackson was acting like a "goofball," never looked like he was trying to finish the fight, and said he got the sense Jackson was a "complete f*cking idiot." White said Jackson's UFC career is over and that he wouldn't even put him on the Tuesday Night Contender Series.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I wonder if Punk is All In now?

Or if Bellator wants him?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't know who Bellator could get for him at 170 or 185. I'd say Ken Shamrock but he's too big for 185 and would probably just fail another steroid test again since he still looked huge in an interview I saw earlier this year.

Maybe a rematch with the fan he slapped?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He can fight Dr Amann in a lump on a pole match.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Maybe he won't talk to Corey Graves anymore because he's mad he wouldn't lance his lump.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

People on twitter suggest Bellator book Punk vs Teddy Hart in a rematch. Teddy will be cornered by 3 cats he's trained to close cuts and his pot dealer.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:I wonder if Punk is All In now?

Or if Bellator wants him?
Well he's said he is through with wrestling so I doubt it. As for Bellator, it's a possibility. But ideally he walks away from MMA. If he were more knowledgable he'd make a good play by play guy. I respect him for following his dream and actually having 2 MMA fights in the UFC. But Punk isn't cut out to be a fighter. He's 39 too so he waited too long. He doesn't have the freak strength of a Brock or his size so he was at an instant disadvantage.

Mike Jackson was toying with him and could have finished him in the first. Really he disrespected Punk by dragging it out and making him look foolish. I see no sense in him taking unnecessary damage when he picked up concussion(s) in WWE. So the ref should have stepped in and had a work with Mike and said you have to fight or I'm stopping it.

Again Punk has a lot of heart but it's like he wasted his time whereas he could have spent those years making money on the indies or even through seminars, merch, shoots and such. If he does a 180 and turns up at All In then that would be good. I think CM Punk the wrestler is what his strongest suit is. But he might call it a day and I'm guessing he's saved enough from his wrestling career where he can live comfortably. It's almost a reverse Daniel Bryan situation where D-Bry was forced into retirement (well until he came back) but Punk is welcoming being done with wrestling.

If Hunter can build the bridge with WWE with Punk then he should get some sort of peace prize. Bruno came back, Warrior did, Medusa too but I don't know how easy Vince will forgive and forget in this instance.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I think we've found the key reason Mike Jackson is unemployed, which I didn't notice during the fight, which I only saw live since it was too awful to rewatch