Site Admin

Re: MMA Thread (UFC/Bellator et al) UFC 208

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Derrick Lewis = $$$$$$$$$$$$

He's the Heavyweight Conor. He can fight and cut an awesome promo. He went off on everybody.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

Ferguson fight is off for UFC 209. Disappointing as it was the fight I was most looking forward to.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Rogan has really been trolling Dana this month.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Don Frye is homeless because he can't work due to a very severe back injury due to a botched surgery and brain damage from CTE from taking some severe beatings for 20 years. That's very sad. Hopefully he can get paid for a podcast or something because he's one of the funniest guys in MMA.

Terry Funk pitched for him to come into WCW around the same time Tank Abbott signed, but he didn't get along with whoever interviewed him (I can't remember if it was Bischoff, Russo or Bill Busch.) Heyman's wanted him in ECW as well but couldn't afford him since they were bouncing checks at the time. He also wanted Frank Shamrock but he doesn't like pro wrestling unlike Ken.

But CTE is definitely becoming an issue for the first generation of MMA fighters, with Sakuraba, Gary Goodridge, and now Frye coming public with problems. So the UFC is going to be having some issues in the next few years, and probably have to settle with fighters like the NFL.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yep, CTE is a huge issue in contact sports. Even soccer players who headed the old leather footballs have been diagnosed post mortem (Jeff Astle) or have CTE symptoms now (George Cohen). I think NFL, MMA, boxing, hockey, rugby, pro wrestling will all be high level risk. The fact it affects people at a younger age to Alzheimer's is worrying. I wonder if some CTE sufferers have an earlier onset of Alzheimer's, especially if they have a familial history of the disease. Because of the post mortem diagnosis only at present it's difficult to accurately diagnose. However 90 of 94 NFL players had it and that's a shockingly high ratio. It's not a new disease either it's been around since the 20s where boxers were diagnosed with puglism dementia. I think unless more preventative things are done there's going to be a ton of former athletes with CTE. Even in pro wrestling, a "fake" sport you have Balls and Axl, Benoit, Saturn, Test are just a few with confirmed diagnoses.

I would assume guys who committed suicide had CTE like Mike Awesome. Even Daniel Bryan has CTE related symptoms. Anyone who has had repeated head trauma can develop CTE so it's not a sports only related disease. However especially in situations which high impact trauma, like a KO punch in boxing/MMA or a high tackle in the NFL. So it's a really potentially bad situation brewing. But I don't see head guards being worn in boxing and MMA. WWE won't change their strong style lite style etc. I mean even the women's wrestlers, especially during the Attitude Era like Lita are at risk. So yes it's going to be costly to the NFL, NHL, WWE, UFC and even more so those sadly affected by CRE and their families.

Also all the best to Don, he should be taken care of by the UFC. He's a pioneer in the MMA world and somebody the UFC could keep on their payroll so he can get back on his feet.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Well, 94 players is a very tiny sample size. And it's mostly of players that killed themselves, so you know going in they probably have it. Most retired NFL players don't have dementia, their health problems are pain related from suffering so many injuries. If they started taking samples of players who died from natural causes I don't think it would be nearly as high. The same way Ali had it but George Foreman is fine, not everyone gets it.

And both the NFL and UFC (and WWE) have gotten better about concussions. Players played through concussions until recently and were called a pussy if they didn't, and now they have a bunch of independent medical tests before they can come back. And in Don's Japanese fights the refs let everything continue until you were knocked out cold because that's their culture. So I think like wrestlers and drug deaths it will improve greatly now. But guys who fought/played in the 90s are going to still be a huge story because they're just starting to exhibit problems. If a huge star like Ken Shamrock in MMA or Steve Young in the NFL publicized having dementia they would be an enormous story.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

True but a 94 out of 96 ratio is huge in terms of the findings. Talking about famous players with CTE or potential CTE, Jim McMahon has early onset dementia and CTE related symptoms http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html and one of his team mates Gale Sayers has early onset dementia too. There's also quite a high ratio of players who have ALS, like Steve Gleason and Dwight Clark of the 49ers. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/20/p ... -als-link/ This study indicates NFL players are more at risk of dementia, ALS etc https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pgms/worknoti ... ion_02.pdf

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Sayers retired 10 years before McMahon came into the NFL. His running back was Walter Payton, who died young of cancer but had no signs of dementia. In the Bears 30 for 30 only two players had it (Dave Duerson was the other.) Mongo played football longer than any of them then wrestled for 3 years and he's fine even though if anybody should have CTE he should. His only problem is a terrible haircut.

Do NFL players have a higher risk? Absolutely, it's not good for anybody to get smashed in the head for 3 hours 16 days a year plus playoffs. But it's nowhere near the 98% rate the tests make it seem. I don't know why, but some are more prone to concussions than others.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I wonder how many guys have undocumented concussions, say in training camp and don't say anything because they might get cut. It's not an exclusive NFL thing and I'm not anti NFL at all, in fact I'm the complete opposite it's one of my favourite sports. Reading this when a guy is 27 and faces a uncertain future because of a concussion is troubling

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/07/ry ... -research/

Again it's not exclusive to the NFL, there must be soccer players, rugby, boxers, MMA fighters, pro wrestlers and even everyday folks who have suffered head trauma. I guess the point is the world of sports in general need to protect the athletes as you're looking at guys and girls in their latter years being in a terrible state health wise, committing suicide, self medicating. Also by the 94 out of 96 study the point is from the brains they tested the high proportion of CTE actually being found meaning it's a real issue. I mean Dr Omulu was made out to be a quack but it's because of his research it can hopefully help guys like Jim McMahon et al. As for Mongo yea he's seemingly unaffected thus far but who knows say 10 years down the line. According to the study it seems defensive linemen, DTs and the defensive type players more affected. I also think anyone is at potential risk of developing CTE, say if they suffer an accident/fall and get concussed. Domestic abuse suffers are sadly at risk too so it's one of those invisible type conditions which can take time to come to the surface. Also non athletes are likely not to be diagnosed and instead will have the diagnosis of early onset dementia and the like. Hopefully medical science will advance so they can test people before it's too late. Say if they tested Benoit before he'd not have committed the murders and killed himself. Same with guys like Mike Awesome he took a ton of chair shots, dived onto the concrete and such in Japan and ECW. Also Axl and Balls were diagnosed post mortem so CTE is a very real condition and I think more medical research needs doing. Get safer helmets to be made, get wrestlers to change their style slightly instead of doing the Strong Style lite they work now. I mean guys like Vader, Stan Hansen et al used to beat each other up and I'd imagine a guy like Cactus must sadly definitely have CTE. Even in the Rumble 99 match alone with Rock he was smashed over the head with a steel chair a dozen times or more.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm not disputing that it's real, I'm disputing that 98% of Omalu's studies having CTE means 98% of all NFL players have it. He is getting brains he knows already had it because their families suspected it. If he got all dead NFL player brains that number would probably be at 40%, which is still very high and very dangerous, but not the "the game must be banned" extreme epidemic level.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's a very good point. If Dr Omalu manages to get others to participate in the study and even better be able to find like a marker in a test while a player is living it might be a more eye opening discover and makes his findings more accurate. Because like you say as the players families suspected CTE it's likely that he would find it. But expanding the spectrum to encompass MMA, pro wrestling, soccer, boxing and other sports, if they manage to do a diagnostic test that diagnoses CTE before that would be give a much clearer picture. Say Dr Omalu manages to test rookie players, a 5 years in the NFL, 10 years, recently retired and a 10, 20 years retired from the NFL and compare the findings I think it would add a lot of credence to his studies. Since CTE is only post Mortem diagnosed it does sway the findings in his favor. I definitely think the NFL shouldn't be banned, but I do think more safety pro cautions could be in place. You can't wrap the players in cotton wool but maybe like I said redesign the helmet to be more protective and have like a support for the neck too so it stops the head being thrown back violently. I think the goal ideally is to maximise the safety of the players and prevent CTE from occurring. Also more care post career would be beneficial. Kinda like WWEs wellness program but if a retired and even current player exhibits or is starting to exhibit CTE symptoms they get the necessary care they need.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dear Cyborg Nation,

I looked the word Culture up in the dictionary and it said “The social behavior and norms found in human societies” which made me start to think of all the different cultures I have had shape my views and how those experiences have sculpted my understanding of life and relationships, and it made me want to share my thoughts with those on Cyborg Nation.

Core Values of Culture are learned through those in leadership roles in the communities we live, work, and regularly interact with. When I first started training at Chute Boxe in Curitiba I learned the true spirit of fighting watching legends like Wanderlia Silva, Shogun, and Cyborg train everyday in the gym. Everyone looked at these fighters as an example, we saw the hard work, heart, and dedication it took to become a World Champion and we learned not to expect anything less from ourselves. Training amongst these legends of the sport we learned how to win with pride, and if a loss happened to deal with it with integrity. Even though I am not training with Rudimar Fredrigo and the Chute Boxe team in Curitiba, I think I still represent the culture of the team and the values we place in honor, respect, and discipline which is why I have proudly flown the #CHUTEBOXE flag my entire career.

The way we select friends is often very different than the way companies select which ones to build long term working relationships with. The success of any company merger relies on the ability of the owners to merge core values of the two companies, giving special emphasis to the development of communication that can result in a positive conflict resolution whenever problems or misunderstandings occur.

Similar to my time in the gym with Chute Boxe I have learned that just like in fighting, culture in business is developed by those seen successful and high profile within the company. Examples of leadership are learned from the top down, and this results in what eventually becomes the culture of the company, and the identity of their relationships, and their associates.

When disparaging comments are made at the top, it sets an example that it is acceptable within the company, allowing lower ranking individuals to continuing following examples of leaders, establishing the culture and practices of the company.

It is no secret I have been a victim of online bullying. At times in my career it has felt like there have been a team of writers using the internet to shape the public’s vision of my company’s brand, often attempting to make me look like the face of anabolic abuse in the sport of MMA. While it has been years since someone has said I looked like “Wanderlia Silva in a dress”, it doesn’t feel that long ago that I was listening to someone give me advice on how cutting off my dick would help me to make 135lbs easier. When people see these actions of people high profile in the company being promoted through social media without consequence or even a public apology, they see it as an acceptable behavior within the company, and often view it as an encouraged opportunity at self promotion. It should never be acceptable for a company to allow their employees to develop a culture where sexual harassment, racial prejudices, or female discrimination are acceptable in the work place.

When two companies work together, it is not only money, but the relationships within those companies, that establish the value, length, and success of the partnerships. Feeling welcomed, respected, and having trust that the two companies are mutually beneficial and seeking the same goals is essential for any success in a long term commitment. While profitability is important it can not be the only factor when determining a merger of two companies because for what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

For me it is simple to see the things I value. I am a family girl from Brazil who is not impressed by the lights of the show and the sound of the radio. While I do place some value in money I also know the joys of working for a company that values respect, loyalty, and honesty amongst its associates and discourages a workplace where sexual harassment, racial prejudices, and discrimination against females fighters is acceptable promotion.

Love,

Cris Cyborg
The fight was over this tweet

So she didn't get called a man, she got called a puppet. And (spoiler alert) a woman controls the puppet in some of the Saw sequels.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

This story from Bisping is hilarious

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

LOL bloody hell.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod