MMA Thread (UFC/Bellator et al)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: MMA Thread (UFC/Bellator et al)

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote:I wrote a super long post but it didn't show up. Anyway I'll just briefly share my thoughts. Iron Mike was around in an era where he was a legit worldwide megastar. PPV companies had to do business with him as otherwise Don't King would have played hardball and said you can't have any if His fighters on PPV. Remember Mike did lose his sponsorships, Nintendo kicked him out of Punch Out etc.
PPV is desperate for Conor as they were Tyson. WWE left, Mayweather retired, Paciqao isn't the draw he was, Rousey is on the WWE Network, Jon Jones will be gone 2 years if he's lucky, GSP might be done. They don't have much besides Canelo and GGG. Cormier is kind of a draw, but he's not McGregor. And who knows what Lesnar means to UFC fans now. He could draw in a big fight but if he's matched against another middle of the pack fighter who knows.

And think about this: Dana is hyperbolic about everything saying he refuses to do business again with people in the heat of the moment for a lot less. He didn't even bother saying he's done with McGregor even as an angry threat.

I'm not saying it was a good thing, and he's definitely losing Burger King and other sponsors. But it's hardly the worst thing that ever happened to MMA. And everyone is too desperate to cut ties with him. And like Bischoff said controversy creates cash.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dana been surprisingly coy about this, but its not really his call whether he's done with him. They are owned by WME and they would keep ahold of Conor since he's their biggest star and centerpiece so to speak. I think the UFCs goal is Khabib v Mc and if his finances are drained via lawsuits and fines he would agree to the fight I think. There's been some speculation about it being a work to boost PPV buys etc but that's BS since he's facing lawsuits and criminal charges. I agree its not as War Machine etc but the intent from Conor and the Conorettes was to cause harm. If he's angry about being stripped of the belt and his buddy being dissed then he should have handled his business like an adult.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

If you don't want to watch it, Conor got $50,000 bail and is to come back for his hearing June 14th.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I watched the vid, thanks. I'm not very conversant with US law and I know in some instances it varies by state, but as Mc bail is set at 50K and his buddy 25K, are CMs charges worse? The lawyers said they are looking at June 14th for their court date. Since McGregor has no criminal record that works in his favour, but one of the lawyers were saying about dropping a felony charge which I'm assuming is more serious?. There's no chance of a custodial sentence over these charges I'm assuming unless he starts menancing Chiesa and co or something. So worse case is big fine(s) and a community service order?.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Conor is believed to be the mastermind of the situation so he's the focus.

As for the sentence, even if the charges aren't reduced he's probably not doing time. He's probably going to look for a plea deal fast since he's on film doing it so there's no point in defending himself unless he has an evil twin brother out there. And the victims will allow it because they'd rather sue him than put him in jail.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:Conor is believed to be the mastermind of the situation so he's the focus.

As for the sentence, even if the charges aren't reduced he's probably not doing time. He's probably going to look for a plea deal fast since he's on film doing it so there's no point in defending himself unless he has an evil twin brother out there. And the victims will allow it because they'd rather sue him than put him in jail.
OK thanks. So it's more likely to hit him much more in the pocket than anything.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The main issue for Conor is how long will he be suspended in every country. Meltzer thinks 18 months minimum, two years maximum.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks, not sure if this is accurate but

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/conor-could- ... ack-171433

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

0% chance of that happening. That's just what the law sets maximum sentence at. If he was Conor the working class nobody and did it unapologetically and refused a plea deal maybe. But not Conor the celebrity worth $100 million.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dana said he'll be at Wrestlemania as a guest of Ronda. Hopefully we will finally get the Vince & Dana picture. But we'll surely get the Dana & Stephanie making a wicked witch face picture.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

People talking to Dana backstage at Mania say he's calmed down quite and bit about Conor and is saying it was bad but definitely not career threatening.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Its an unbelievably stupid thing Conor did, just crazy and all he needed to do was say I'll fight Khabib. Would have drew big PPV numbers, Mc would have made more money and it would have given him the option to go back to boxing to fight Paulie etc. Now he's facing a lengthy ban and fines out of the wazoo for a few moments of madness. I think Dana's being careful with his words as Conor is his biggest star they don't have Ronda, Bones is on hiatus etc. Can Conor redeem himself is a question which might take a long time to answer.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Conor really doesn't want to fight Khabib because he can't win that fight. He will be taken down at will and ground and pounded for 25 minutes.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

True but better than potentially losing a ton of money via lawsuits and fines etc and being banned from fighting for a year or more. He's lost before to Nate, I don't think he'd mess with the Diaz brothers like that though since they'd have got off the bus and confronted him.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html

I'm hoping if Paige hasnt reported it that she definitely does now and the lowlife scum who did that to her are rightly punished. Her father should have hunted them all down and beat them within a inch of their life's for doing that to his daughter.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

UFC will be signing with ESPN, so WWE will definitely be going to Fox (yay Raw forced to go back to 2 hours!)

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »