New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Post Reply
User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 9067
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:03 pm

It was the ultimate piledriver.

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:18 pm



This was dangerous too. Ospreay could have broken his neck in April getting spiked wrong on the apron so I'd have banned those spots.


Alfa
Image

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Ocelot » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:23 am

Just started watching Dominion ((from now on I'm going to watch every NJPW show I can)) and I tell you what....I have a good feeling here. If I were the McMahons, I'd be eyeing what's happening here, because it's something truly special. I'm excited.

More on the matches themselves later.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Ocelot » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Omega/Okada might be one of my five favorite matches of all time.
Jericho as a psychotic wins and I loved the semi-main
This Will Osprey dude and his opponent had a FUCKING HELL of a match.
Loved the legends team vs Cody and crew. Cody has hit the ball rolling bigtime.
The Young Bucks won a HELLACIOUS tag team match that I was all prepared to hate but fuck that shit. Great match, great twists, loved the build to the finish.

Quite possibly my favorite PPV ever, top to bottom. WWE can go eat my butthole.

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Yeah, I'll agree with Okada-Omega IV being top 5 G.O.A.T. Okada sold his ass off to make everything Omega did look great, and that may have made this match better than the other three they've had.

Jericho becoming 1989 Terry Funk is awesome. I guess he can wrestle another 20 years now.

Ospreay and Takahashi would have easily had the best match of the night on any other show. That was definitely 5 stars. Hiromu has always been very good, but this year stepped it up another level and I'm glad they noticed and gave him the title.

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Dave Meltzer officially named Okada/Omega IV the greatest match ever and doesn't believe it's possible to have a better match due to the attention to detail shown by them.

He also said Dominion was better than Wrestlemania 17, which was his previous pick for best top to bottom PPV.

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Also if you liked Dominion make sure you see the Super Juniors Cup finals from last week, it's another MOTY contender. That sliding German Suplex at 9:09 is probably the best move of the year. That's some video game shit.


User avatar
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 2984
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 am

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:19 am

Bandit wrote:Dave Meltzer officially named Okada/Omega IV the greatest match ever and doesn't believe it's possible to have a better match due to the attention to detail shown by them.

He also said Dominion was better than Wrestlemania 17, which was his previous pick for best top to bottom PPV.
Greatest match ever is one heck of an accolade, as is Dominion as best ever show. WWE in theory should be hitting it out of the park with their roster now but they are barely making base hits. Nak/AJ at Mania was a real anti-climax. Kenny should stay with New Japan because theyd job him out to the Big Dawg as soon as the ink dries on his contract.

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:38 am

I can say for certain Dominion was the best show ever. But best match is harder to say since I've seen so many great matches I can say are in the conversation for G.O.A.T. You have to think about Misawa vs Kawada '94, Misawa vs Kobashi '03, Joe vs AJ vs Daniels '05, Bret vs Austin WM13, Bret vs Owen Summerslam '94, Flair vs Funk I Quit match, the 3 Flair vs Steamboat 1989 matches, Naito vs Omega at G1, and others at one point I've thought could have been the greatest.

User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 9067
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:36 pm


User avatar
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 2984
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 am

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 am

Bandit wrote:I can say for certain Dominion was the best show ever. But best match is harder to say since I've seen so many great matches I can say are in the conversation for G.O.A.T. You have to think about Misawa vs Kawada '94, Misawa vs Kobashi '03, Joe vs AJ vs Daniels '05, Bret vs Austin WM13, Bret vs Owen Summerslam '94, Flair vs Funk I Quit match, the 3 Flair vs Steamboat 1989 matches, Naito vs Omega at G1, and others at one point I've thought could have been the greatest.
I'll have to check out Dominion. Yea its difficult to narrow down best match. There's also Razor/HBK, Savage/Steamboat, the early TLCs to name but a few. I think maybe Dave got carried away proclaiming it the best. Had it been in a WWE ring would he have rated it so highly for example?. I have only seen clips so I can't give a fair opinion as of yet. I think with deciding on best match you have to factor in a number of variables. You have matches like Bret and Austin that were the catalyst to making Stone Cold a superstar. A great match which exists within a vacuum without influencing any other factors I think doesn't have the impact of say a match where it has historical significance such as was a wrestler "made" due to the outcome. Plus personal opinion shouldn't be discounted. Also does it hold up overtime. If its just high spots and false finishes does it really tell a story?. Steamboat/Savage still stands up because of the build, the storytelling in the match itself and Ricky getting his revenge by winning the belt. That it was micro managed might down vote it but its one match you could show to a non fan and they'd be intrigued by it.

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 am

He didn't get carried away, it's a legitimate belief that it could be the best ever. And he's seen more wrestling than anybody.

Yes, if it had been in WWE it would have gotten the same review from him. He's not against WWE he dislikes their match formula that they make everyone follow. If they threw away the formula he'd be rating them hire because they'd stop being predictable.

Yes, this match told a great story and called back to the other 3 matches at times. It also tells a story if you saw Okada's entire 2 year reign. The booker Gedo does intricate stories.

We don't know the historical significance. If this makes Omega a big star and helps make New Japan bigger in North America and Europe we will have to see. But nobody thought Austin was immediately going to become the biggest star in wrestling and draw hundreds of millions of dollars for WWF the day after Mania 13. Vince didn't even consider it, he didn't want Russo to put Austin on the cover of the WWF magazine because he thought Undertaker beating Sid was the big story that needed the cover. And of course nobody even remembers Taker vs Sid.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Ocelot » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:05 am

I still can not wrap my head around fucking GEDO, who was complete garbage in the nineties, being the creative superhuman that he is now. Friggin' amazing stuff.

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:03 am

Yeah, he was always a good promo (according to those that spoke Japanese) but is a shitty, shitty wrestler. But he was always a big fan of the good US booking (Crockett, Mid South, SMW, ECW, early ROH, etc) and absorbed them and was able to translate them in an original way to Japan. It's the reverse of what Heyman did in a lot of ways watching FMW and All Japan and translating it in a original way for the US.

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:54 pm


User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 pm

The NJ UK shows are set.

Milton Keynes Ice Arena, June 30th

British Tag Team Champions Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr. defending against Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii
Will Ospreay vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru
Chris Brookes vs. YOSHI-HASHI
WALTER vs. Yuji Nagata
Tiger Mask IV vs. David Starr
Takashi Iizuka, Taichi & El Desperado vs. Jay White, Toru Yano & Gedo
Taiji Ishimori & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Aussie Open (Mark Davis & Kyle Fletcher)
Shota Umino vs. TBA

Altrincham Arena, July 1st
Undisputed British Heavyweight Champion Tomohiro Ishii defending against Minoru Suzuki
Kazuchika Okada vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Will Ospreay vs. Taichi
Jay White vs. Chris Brookes
WALTER vs. Yujiro Takahashi
Takashi Iizuka, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado vs. Toru Yano, YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo
Taiji Ishimori vs. Tiger Mask IV vs. El Phantasmo vs. David Starr
Shota Umino vs. Yuji Nagata
Dan Duggan vs. TBA

I think I'm most excited for Walter vs Nagata. Nagata is 50 and still awesome. But I don't know why they're wasting Walter the next night on Tokyo Pimp. Why not have Walter vs Okada. We just saw Okada vs ZSJ.

Ishii and Suzuki is going to be the shiznit too.

User avatar
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin
Posts: 9067
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:33 am

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:04 pm


User avatar
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 2984
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 am

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 pm

:lol:

User avatar
Bandit
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 5278
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Bandit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Okada/Omega IV got 7 stars.

Other matches:

Naito vs Jericho 4.5
Ospreay vs Takahashi 4.75
Evil & Sanada vs Young Bucks 4.5
Goto vs Elgin vs Taichi 3.5
Desperado & Kanemaru vs Roppongi 3K 3.25
Rey, Tanahashi & Liger vs Bullet Club 3.5
Finlay & Juice vs White & Yoshi-Hashi 2.25
ZSJ & Suzuki vs Yano & Ishii 3.75

User avatar
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod
Posts: 2984
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 am

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 am

Bandit wrote:He didn't get carried away, it's a legitimate belief that it could be the best ever. And he's seen more wrestling than anybody.

Yes, if it had been in WWE it would have gotten the same review from him. He's not against WWE he dislikes their match formula that they make everyone follow. If they threw away the formula he'd be rating them hire because they'd stop being predictable.

Yes, this match told a great story and called back to the other 3 matches at times. It also tells a story if you saw Okada's entire 2 year reign. The booker Gedo does intricate stories.

We don't know the historical significance. If this makes Omega a big star and helps make New Japan bigger in North America and Europe we will have to see. But nobody thought Austin was immediately going to become the biggest star in wrestling and draw hundreds of millions of dollars for WWF the day after Mania 13. Vince didn't even consider it, he didn't want Russo to put Austin on the cover of the WWF magazine because he thought Undertaker beating Sid was the big story that needed the cover. And of course nobody even remembers Taker vs Sid.
OK cool. I thought Dave might have like a bias that if it was at a WWE show he'd have not held it in the same esteem. Like snobby music critics who'd say an indie label album is better than one on a major for "cool points".

Post Reply