The Classic Wrestling Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Classic Wrestling Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

I don't recall much of the Goldberg stuff, was it when he punched the window out and nearly lost his arm or when he harassed Miss Liz? A lot of Attitude Era TV is so cheesily bad in some aspects. Vince being hit with the bed pan by Dr Austin will never not be hilarious. This is your life is a bit cringeworthy now but still funny. Vince training for the 99 Rumble is hilarious too. WCW from that period I vaguely recall the "worked shoot" stuff with Hogan, Pipes being wound up by Russo, "Pope"Russo, Naitch in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest II, Naitch crawling in the mud and the Who's the Daddy storyline. WCW 1992 with Vader, Sting, Steamboat, Cactus, Rude, Doc and Gordy, Steniers was great.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The window accident was December 1999 after the nWo reformed with Bret. This was the Fingerpoke of Doom and Foley title win episodes.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK thanks. I vaguely recall the Finger poke of doom and Tony giving away the Cactus title win. Highly ironic how a ton of viewers switched over to see it. Speaking of which I'm sure he's mentioned it but the title change to Mankind was I'm assuming more as a thank you as you had Hunter, Taker and others they could have put the belt on outside of Mick. For me he should have been always like in the first Rocky close but yet so far to win the WWF world title. That was part of his appeal as the ultimate underdog.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

This is in reference to him re-watching the debut episode of Raw. He's right, I was going to watch Raw chronologically, but I had to skip up to summer 1995 because they were pretty bad. My breaking point was a 1994 episode with Crush on commentary and Tatanka as the focus of the show. It was horrible and I couldn't believe I didn't have a problem with any of the show as a kid. What a dumb mark I was.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

In hindsight, yea they weren't so good. I wouldn't say they are terrible though. One thing I couldn't bear Ron Bartlett on announcing. Plus in that time frame you had Bret v Owen, Shawn v Razor so it's not so bad. Plus you had Art Donovan at KOTR 94

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

But that stuff wasn't on TV. You had 3 jobber matches and a main event like Bastion Booger vs Sparky Plugg.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote:But that stuff wasn't on TV. You had 3 jobber matches and a main event like Bastion Booger vs Sparky Plugg.
Yea that's true but also Kid beating Razor, Shawn v Marty for the IC belt, Naitch vs Mr Perfect loser leaves town. ECW of the time didn't have many solid cards either, nor WCW. That was the deal back then, even historically, you kept the big matches for the big shows. The Monday Night Wars conditioned fans to see star v star each week. Not just main eventers but lowercard too. Plus WWEs business was down so marquee matches saved for PPV.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

WWF did one good Raw and one good Superstars a month until the Monday Night War. WCW Saturday Night was much more solid until Hogan came in and turned it into Renegade, Duggan and Evad Sullivan shitty matches. ECW was awful in 1993, but by summer 1994 was getting good.

It's not that WWF was bad (until 1995 when they were awful all around.) It's that the PPVs were good but free TV was all about IRS vs Tatanka and Men on a Mission vs The Quebeccers main events with Shawn Michaels wrestling a jobber for 90 seconds. Saturday Night had Steve Austin vs Ricky Steamboat and Sting vs Arn Anderson main events.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Jim Ross wanted to bring in Stan Hansen, Steve Williams and Terry Gordy to the WWF in 1995 but couldn't afford their price. Imagine how hilarious their run in with The Kliq would have been when Shawn tried to order Stan around.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I think HBK would have tried it once then never again. Shame Stan wasn't around with JBullyL he'd have put a stop to him too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

They're on friendly terms since JBL cites him as an idol. And since he's old school he might not think what he did was a big deal since that's how the business was before the 2000s.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I know breaking in the business was tough back in the day and the boys played pranks on each other. But JBL should have known better and him doing weird stuff in the shower, busting Meanie open hard way, stealing Justin Roberts passport, bullying Joey Styles til he KO'd him and his other shenanigans should have been put a stop to. He was a grown man acting like a frat boy and Vince or Taker should have shut him down. I mean there was a bullying culture in soccer til the coaches stamped it out when the trainees were forced to do weird humiliating stuff.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm not defending JBL at all. I'm just saying there's a reason why few old timers ever said anything about him besides Smothers because he needlessly injured his friend Blue Meanie. Like Undertaker is thought of as a decent guy who is said to be pretty nice, but he did nothing even though he could have stopped the Justin Roberts hazing immediately since he was the leader of the locker room.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yep Taker should have took him aside and said enough. He seems to target those like Joey he can push around. Well it backfired in that instance and once Joey knocked him down that should have put him in his place. Guys like Mr Perfect and Owen used to rib the guys but it wasn't malicious and often hilarious. JBL on the other hand was just a bully he's kinda like how Schillingzer bullied Beecher in Oz, not as extreme, but that sorta deal. I'm actually surprised they have allowed him to coach kids with his track record. I'd imagine he's grown up a bit now.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

We will never get confirmation on this but there was something mentioned about Randy punching Liz in front of Animal Steele and knocking a few of her teeth out so she had to wear dentures to fix them. Never heard that story so someone could be BSing, also apparently Lex beat on her too and did the same thing. I know Randy was very controlling which wasn't cool at all but I have never heard or read he physically abused Elizabeth which is horrible if true. Really would change my perception of Macho if he did that because any violence to women is abhorrent.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

We know for sure Lex did since he was arrested for it. And Savage you just assume probably did since he was crazy, on tons of steroids, and their relationship fit the criteria of being abusive in every other way. But I'd never heard the dentures story.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Me neither, was a comment in the 1993 Observer Reddit about Randy shooting on JRs radio show about Hogan so could be someone telling lies. Story was she went to Hulk and his wife to get away from Mach. I feel really, really bad for Liz though going from one allegedly abusive relationship to another which was confirmed to be abusive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

She really did stay with Linda and Hogan at their house in Tampa after filing for divorce, which caused a huge problem between Hogan and Savage that they never got past (they worked in WCW and were civil but never friends again like they were in WWF.) But I have never heard he knocked her teeth out. I wouldn't be surprised if he hit her, but I don't think he would have done it in front of people. Abusers do their abuse in private or only in front of their children so they can deny it. Even with wrestling being a business where people don't snitch on the boys, punching a woman so bad you knock her front teeth out back stage at a wrestling show seems like bullshit.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

PWI reports WCW Saturday Night will begin being uploaded to the network next week. It will be interesting to trace it's devolution from the best wrestling show on TV to obsolete once Nitro catches fire.