Re: The Classic Wrestling Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Funky!

I feel like some KFC now.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's amazing how much the world changed in 30 years. Imagine today if they had a black man eating fried chicken and calling it "my yardbird", then walking through a ghetto dressed like a pimp. USA would cancel them immediately.

That said they need to bring him back for those KFC live ads during PPVs.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Vince is such a big Dr Martin Luther King fan yet he had Slick talk in jive and play up to racial stereotypes. Plus you had a white guy play Akeem amongst other things. I almost forgot Vince using the N word to Cena in front of Book. Booker should have beat Vince's ass for that and it would be justified. I'd expect it from a good ole boy southern wrasslin bigot but McMahon never should have uttered the N word, even in jest.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't think Vince is racist, but he and Pat Patterson are in their 70s so they're from a different time where racial jokes were accepted by that generation even if they weren't racists. Although one of the younger writers I'm assuming came up with the Vince/Booker/Cena skit, so that's different.

I do like Slick since he was one of the best parts of late 80s/early 90s WWF because he did the gimmick so well and had great charisma. And he was much funnier than Godfather which was just lazy comedy (a hallmark of Vince Russo) compared to having to read between the lines of what Slick was which made it more creative. But you just couldn't do any of that today. They even clarified that Godfather quit pimping on Raw a few weeks ago when he did a cameo with his real wife (who is very beautiful so congratulations to him.)

Like the skit Slick did bringing Mean Gene to the ghetto at night to meet Akeem. You could never do that today, but it was hilarious because all three guys were great with the material.

And Jive Soul Bro is a tremendous song, possibly the best theme of the era.

chrislatimer16
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by chrislatimer16 »

The vince being such a MLK fan baffles me it really does. its not like hes treated people of colour with any real difference *siba samba*

i was too young to appreciate slick as a kid but watching back old footage i enjoyed his work underrated me thinks

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I guess it's hard to explain if you're out of the US. But that generation just loved jokes about black people, Asian people, Italian people, Irish people, Puerto Rican people, Polish people, Catholic people, Jewish people, etc., etc. And the attitude was just "I don't mean anything by it, I just think differences are funny." It was just completely different from the millennial mentality that all stereotype jokes are off limits. Vince definitely has a very politically incorrect sense of humor since the Cranky Vince stuff was said to greatly mirror some of the things he's said about minorities and women.

On another old WWF note, I was watching a Raw from June 1997 during the Paul Bearer & Undertaker secret angle. Paul Bearer was so fantastic as a heel that talked. They wasted him for 4 years as a babyface manager who only did short promos. He always should have been the character he was in 1997. Great talker, so much charisma, and had so much heat. He's definitely underrated.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It was also a UK thing too. Some UK "comedy" had a lot of racial slurs and such too, there was one show called Love Thy Neighbour where a black family moved next to a white one, which I doubt would even be on TV nowadays because of the content.

That was the 70s, 60s shows were bad too. Often black characters were called racist names and such. A lot of racial slurs and such were real bad outside of the "comedy" realm. As there was hatred and vileness behind them. Not only the N word, but against other minorities too like Pakistanis etc who got a ton of hatred and abuse, just terrible. Shame we can't erase all that horribleness but we can get beyond it and learn from people's mistakes so they won't ever be repeated. That there's nationalist groups still now is disgusting. Back on topic as those xenophobic lowlifes aren't even worth discussing.

Slick was a great character, Jive Soul Bro was great too. I think he's also underrated as a manager. 80s WWF was a golden era for managers.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, being behind Bobby Heenan would be tough for anybody. Even Cornette or Heyman would have had bad luck if they had to follow him in his prime. I think Cornette said he was never offered a WWF contract in the 80s but wouldn't have gone anyway because he never wanted to compete with Bobby.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A pimp and his ho.
Bandit wrote:And Jive Soul Bro is a tremendous song, possibly the best theme of the era.
The Demolition theme is probably better. Both are great.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

A ho who ended up becoming a very successful mortgage lender and podcast host.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:olol:

And engaged to Ric Flair......................'s daughter.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

That's still the best angle WWE ever did. Hogan freaking out in his promo after the match is such great work. Andre screwed up his promo but Hogan being so great covered it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

"I found this in a plate of spaghetti at Sabatinos. Cock-a-doodle-doo!"

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

:olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

One of the matches I watched instead of Raw last night was Dynamite Kid vs Fujinami from 1980. Dynamite hadn't gone heavy on steroids yet, he looked like Conor McGregor's build and Conor walks around at about 175-180. So he was so fast and injury free. It is such a shame he couldn't stay that way and never done the steroids that were a cause of his body breaking down so young. He still would have had the bad neck and been hooked on painkillers. But he might not have been crazy and would have had less injuries from carrying way too much weight.

This isn't the match on New Japan World, but it's from around the same time.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

What's good about Dynamite in-ring is he was working quality matches even in the UK when it was mostly Haystacks v Big Daddy as the top guys where the wrestling was very, very limited. Guys like Kid, Rollerball Rocco, Chris Adams, Bulldog, Regal, Adrian Street etc who could work ended up in either AJPW, NJ and the US. Plus you had a young Jushin Liger and Tiger Mask appear on WOS in the UK. The high flying matches were light night and day compared to the other matches and Dynamite was one of the guys who helped paved the way for smaller guys to get a rep as bring solid workers who deserved their place on the card as they 9 times out of 10 outperformed everyone else.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's telling that Bret Hart hates Tom Billington personally for horrifically abusing his sister in law and insulting Stu, and also always ranks himself highly as a wrestler. But he still says Dynamite was the most important wrestler of their generation.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's a real weird double standard going on in wrestling and I think since knowing more about the inner workings of the business your opinions of certain wrestlers changes from when you first watched. Some guys have gone up in my estimation if they good people in real life like Sting but others have gone way, way down.