The Classic Wrestling Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Classic Wrestling Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's a good thing. It's probably the worst biopic I've ever seen but on the plus side it's unintentionally hilarious at the same time. There is no sembelence to reality whatsoever apart from saying Jess was a navy seal & that he was governor. No WWF mentions, no Vince, he announces WCW with Gorilla :lol: its like if someone trolled his Wiki page and they made a movie using that as basis for the script.

Jesse also looks like the guy they had to play Billionaire Ted in the WWF. Jesses story if done right would have been interesting but this...um I'll let you form your own opinion

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The fake Monsoon looks like Grizzly Smith.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

WWE Hidden Gems digs deep into the WWE archives on WWE Network

From the legendary "Last Battle of Atlanta" to the historic meeting of "The Nature Boys," dig deep into the WWE archives to witness wrestling lore come to life! Spanning over 60 years, Hidden Gems highlights the rare, the unusual, the forgotten, and never-before-seen footage of the Legends of yesteryear and Superstars of today. This carefully curated Collection is a must for any purist. Watch the Collection debut this Thursday, May 24, at 10 a.m. ET on demand, and look for new Hidden Gems every Thursday, exclusively on WWE Network.

This is Your Life: Jack Brisco
Gordon Solie & Jack Brisco cover Jack Brisco’s rise to the top of the NWA.

Clubbing with Sheiky Baby
Relive a vintage Iron Sheik workout from the late 1970s.

A Race for The Yellow Rose
Watch the match that puts David Von Erich on the map as a contender for the NWA Heavyweight Championship as he battles Harley Race in a 2-Out-of-3 Falls Match. – (WCCW - 8/15/1977)

Dog Fight
British Bulldogs Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith face each other in singles action. (Stampede TV - 10/29/1982)

The Hammer Pays the Piper
The rivalry between "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and Greg “The Hammer” Valentine intensifies before their legendary Dog Collar Match at Starrcade 1983. – (NWA/WCW Live Event 7/9/1983 – Charlotte, N.C.)

Meet The Lugar
Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer) introduces us to The Lugar (Lex Luger). – (CWF TV - 10/16/1984)

Legends of the Ring
Relive the Legends Battle Royal, featuring Lou Thesz, Nick Bockwinkel, Bobo Brazil, Gino Brito, Edouard Carpentier, Al Costello, The Crusher, Dominic DeNucci, Tony Garea, Rene Goulet, Gene Kiniski, Killer Kowalski, Pedro Morales, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Arnold Skaaland, Ray Stevens, Chief Jay Strongbow, and Sailor Art Thomas. Includes exclusive post-match interviews. (WWE Live Event - 11/16/1987, East Rutherford, NJ)

The Natural Legacy
Dusty Rhodes introduces us to his son, Dustin. – (FCW TV - 9/8/1988)

A Lesson from Funk University
Terry Funk introduces us to a new word – a “Dustin.” – (FCW TV - 2/23/1989)

At Ease, Yoko!
Relive Sgt. Slaughter vs. Kokena Maximus (Yokozuna) (AWA All-Star Wrestling - 4/29/1990); and watch Yokozuna's debut as Kokena. – (WWE Superstars - 9/1/1992)

The Dark Side of Royalty
Relive Jerry “The King” Lawler vs. “Mean” Mark Callous (Undertaker). – (GWF presents USWA Challenge - 10/8/1990)

Vader Strikes Back
Ron Simmons takes on Big Van Vader. – (WCW Live Event - 12/30/1992, Baltimore, MD)

D-Generation Ryzing
See Triple H (as Terra Ryzing) battle Brian Armstrong (Road Dogg). – (WCW WorldWide - 2/26/94)

Thunder Meets Heat
Eddie Guerrero takes on Jushin “Thunder” Liger. – (WCW Main Event - 10/1/1995)

Taming of the Extreme
See Chris Jericho's ECW singles debut against Rob Van Dam. – (ECW Live Event, Queens, NY - 2/3/1996)

https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-hidden- ... we-network

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Skip Young was forgotten by history, but he was a star everywhere he went in the 70s and 80s. He was a top heel in early All Japan (all foreigners were heels back then) and in Puerto Rico in the early 80s he was a big babyface. And he was World Class tag champions with Kerry Von Erich in 1980. I remember Jim Ross listed him in his top 5 most underrated wrestlers in history list.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm going to watch the entire years of 1991 and 1992 WCW to see the Dangerous Alliance and Sting vs Vader feuds again. So far 1991 is better booked than 2018 WWE. On the first Saturday Night Sid gives some jobber a Border Toss. I love Sid jobber matches. And Paul Heyman is skinny and has a full head of hair which is weird to see again.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That era of WCW [1990-93] is probably my favourite. There's Steamboat/Rude, Doc & Gordy coming in, Pillman/Liger, Cactus, Steniers to name just a few more too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote:That era of WCW [1990-93] is probably my favourite. There's Steamboat/Rude, Doc & Gordy coming in, Pillman/Liger, Cactus, Steniers to name just a few more too.
Exactly right. I don't get the hate for it. 1990-93 is written off as Jim Herd being clueless mainly because Cornette talks about it because he's bitter about his treatment in WCW. And yeah, there's awful stuff like Cheatum blowing up the boat (although the tag match was really good), Lost In Cleveland and Erik Watts. But there's also some damn good stuff. WWF had some bad stuff too, but people give it a pass.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea you just have to skip thru the bad stuff. But you say WWF had it too during that period. You had really good angles like Shawn/Marty, Jake/Macho but then things like Papa Shango putting spells on Warrior. But back to WCW the good outweighed the bad definitely. Rick Rude shined as a heel, as did Vader, The Dangerous Alliance were arguably the best faction in wrestling at that time, Sting was on fire as a baby face and for me WCW always seemed more legit. I do think they could have upped the production value on the ring but I always liked the ramp they had for the PPVs. Sting/Cactus is a great match from that time too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's impossible to hate a company that put the Steiners vs Gordy and Williams on TV for free.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Wasn't Bill Watts booker during that period?. Only thing which wasn't so good was the banning of moves from the top rope and some of the cruddy gimmicks like Aranchaman. Wasn't the Yellow Dog one based on JYD & or Dusty when they came back under a mask?. Take those out of the equation and you had a solid product and guys who could work..

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Watts was late 1992 around Halloween Havoc IIRC because he ripped up Jake's contract so Kip Frey probably hired him in September and left. Watts didn't last long. I think Dusty did most of 1993.

ETA: According to WON Watts was hired in September 1992 and resigned February 1993. So about 5 months and his PPVs were Havoc 92, Starrcade 92 and Superbrawl I. And he only lasted 1 month in the WWF.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

OK thanks. Found this http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/histor03.htm which mentions Ole was let go from the booking position cause of WCW losing money in 1990 so Dusty came back in. So I'm assuming before Bill came in that Dusty was running the show.

Bill Watts is an interesting guy because he pushed JYD in Mid South and made Ron the first African American World champ yet he was fired over a racist comment(s) when Mark Madden told Hank Aaron. But Tony Atlas said something on the Legends of Wrestling show that certain promoters just saw green (as in the promoters only really cared who made money).

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ole pushed black wrestlers too and he's an admitted racist according to Brickhouse Brown. In a shoot he said Ole said to him and Pez Whatley "Yes, I hate (n-words), but some I tolerate if they make me money."

With Watts it was a little different. He took the stance that a private business shouldn't be ordered by the government to do something, so in his opinion that restaurant in Georgia he was talking about had the right as a private business to turn down black customers. That's a bad opinion and semi-racist, but not all the way racist. Watts has said lots of bad, inexcusable things about homosexuals but nothing as overt about minorities. And he was in a relationship with Dark Journey for years. So it's trickier to say than Hogan or Ole.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Sadly that doesn't surprise me about Ole, as he's like that guy who hates everyone. His point of view goes hand in hand with what Tony said about the promoters just seeing green. Speaking of which were there any who were stand up decent folks?. Sam Mushnick maybe and/or Vince Sr?

I know Watts divides opinion among the boys with most disliking him. Rightly so though if he's a homophobe and a racist. Teddy Long confirmed he used the n-word

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Paul Levesque seems like he's going to be a stand up guy when he takes over. And Fritz Von Erich was good to his wrestlers. Not so much his children, though.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea Hunter seems a stand up guy and rebuilded burnt bridges with folks. Fritz might have treated the boys well but he disqualifies himself from the equation because of how he treated his own sons. Poor Mike got toxic shock syndrome and was brain damaged by it yet he still wrestled & later sadly committed suicide. As did Kerry & Chris. David allegedly died of a drug overdose so Kevin lost all his brothers. The Von Erich story is just both unbelievable that such tragedy befell one family and very sad too.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »