Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System thread

Postby Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Sources: Nintendo to launch SNES mini this year

Major factor for NES mini discontinuation.

Nintendo will follow up its smash hit NES microconsole with a mini version of the SNES, sources close to the company have confirmed to Eurogamer.

The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated.

Nintendo's plans for SNES mini are also a major reason why last year's NES mini did not see a reprieve from discontinuation, Eurogamer understands, despite the latter's continued popularity and sell-out status.

Last week, Nintendo explained that it never intended NES mini to be a permanent product. From the company's perspective, the microconsole was planned as a cool novelty item perfect for Christmas 2016, and the numbers in which it was manufactured and shipped were expected to be enough to suit this goal.

But NES mini ended up breaking out to become more popular than anticipated and quickly sold out, leading to a bustling resale market on eBay. NES mini shipments continued into the early part of this year, but its production run could not be extended further - as SNES mini was slated for production instead.

Hopefully, more stock of the SNES mini will be made available to avoid a repeat of the same shortages.

The reality of a SNES mini is certainly exciting - while the NES was unique for being Nintendo's first home console, the SNES arguably boasts the better software line-up, and a catalogue of classics far more advanced than their NES forebears. Compare The Legend of Zelda on NES to A Link to the Past, for example, or Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country.

Other top SNES games from Nintendo include Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart and Super Mario World, as well as Earthbound, Star Fox and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The console also had some of the best RPGs of the era, including Square's Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana.

For the SNES mini, Nintendo is expected to stick with the NES mini's plug-and-play setup, and its array of games which come preinstalled and ready to play.

Nintendo declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer.

Source Eurogamer

Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System thread

Postby Skynet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm

This will be an insta preorder for me. I'll get 2 because fuck the last one and never being able to get one.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Zoidberg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 pm

EB are still putting the NES up, you just need to know when they are up by looking at OzBargain or Twitter. I clicked on there the other day and some were still available. Or just get one cheap from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302287238791

CHEAP!

Skynet
Site Admin

Postby Skynet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:EB are still putting the NES up, you just need to know when they are up by looking at OzBargain or Twitter. I clicked on there the other day and some were still available. Or just get one cheap from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302287238791

CHEAP!

I have a mate who has contacts at EB, so I'll see if he happens to come across any. I do check ozb a fair bit.

melancholy
Global Mod

Postby melancholy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Hopefully, more stock of the [insert console] will be made available to avoid a repeat of the same shortages.

You could use this quote with about every physical product Nintendo has sold in the last 10 years. I mean, goddamn, I had extreme difficulty finding a 3DS for my son for Christmas last year and that system is 6 years old. They announced the last set of Smash Bros Amiibos 19 months after the game released, to the point where both the game and the console that plays it have been discontinued. Nintendo's business is centered around sucking at selling popular products.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Postby pixel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 am

I hate myself for how much I want to preorder this, based solely on Nintendo's shitty attitude towards customers. (Fuck, they aren't going to release very many, I HAVE TO GET THIS PREORDERED NOW.)

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Postby Calavera » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:51 pm

I wonder if it is going to be the exact same hardware but just in a SNES shell.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Zoidberg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Calavera wrote:I wonder if it is going to be the exact same hardware but just in a SNES shell.

It probably will be.

They will add extra security measures to make it harder to hack.

OrangeRibbon

Postby OrangeRibbon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Calavera wrote:I wonder if it is going to be the exact same hardware but just in a SNES shell.

It probably will be.

They will add extra security measures to make it harder to hack.

Hopefully they also take a couple of months to make more than a couple of 1000.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Postby Matisfaction » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 pm

If Nintendo are smart about this then they would produce a shed load of these and release wave two directly after the scalpers have snapped up all the pre orders. They'd sell about 4M units in a week.

Return to “Video Games & Technology”