Classic Mini SNES console rumoured after Nintendo files a familiar-looking trademark

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Classic Mini SNES console rumoured after Nintendo files a familiar-looking trademark

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Soon we could be enjoying Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country and Zelda all over again

The Classic Mini NES console from Nintendo was the Christmas success story of 2016 .

The boxy gadget was a faithful recreation of the 80s game console and sold out completely a couple of days after going on sale.

But it seems Nintendo could already have a successor in the pipeline.

According to Go Nintendo , the Japanese gaming giant has registered a new trademark for a controller shaped like the one it used for the Super Nintendo in the 80s and 90s.

It was spotted on Twitter by a bot that logs trademark filings.

The SNES (known as Super Famicom in Japan) was Nintendo's 16-bit follow up to the NES and the platform that gave us Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World.

The trademark filing gives nothing away, and it could simply be a means of Nintendo protecting the design.

"Numerous companies have been using the exact SNES controller design for their knock-offs. This trademark could be an attempt to curb that... I'm not sure, though," wrote one commenter.

Many gamers are excited about the potential of a Mini SNES console and Nintendo is coming off a bumper year. The company has launched its first smartphone game and revealed the details of its next fully-fledged console.

And the possibility of a new SNES console was met with enthusiasm on social media.

Sadly, with the Nintendo Switch taking up the company's focus in the first half of the year, it's unlikely we'll see a SNES mini until Christmas 2017.

The question remains though, how many games could Nintendo pack onto it and what should they be?

Source: Mirror

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Classic Mini SNES console rumoured after Nintendo files a familiar-looking trademark

Post by melancholy »

That would be cool, except they can't even make enough NES Classics to even come close to filling demand. An SNES Classic will just be an even harder-to-find item that further proves Nintendo hates its fans.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Re: Classic Mini SNES console rumoured after Nintendo files a familiar-looking trademark

Post by Matisfaction »

There's plenty of NES Classics to go around, but they're all sitting on eBay priced up at £400
I can't get no...

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Matisfaction wrote:There's plenty of NES Classics to go around, but they're all sitting on eBay priced up at £400
Over here the resale price is slowly dropping because Nintendo is releasing more. I just wish stores would limit people to just one.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Stores did limit them to one per customer, but unfortunately it's one per store so you could still buy ten, just from different places.

The only thing that would stop it is if eBay capped the asking price of pre order items to the RRP, then scalpers can't rip off people who actually want them in the first place.
I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote:Nintendo hates its fans.
I've been saying that for a decade.. Now someone agrees with me? :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

This isn't surprising at all. The NES Classic hardware is way overpowered for what it's doing; it could theoretically emulate an N64. It would make sense for them to design one platform and release it several times in a new case with new software.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

How many of these NES and SNES minis do you think are still in use today? To the people who actually opened them and played them how much use do you think they got out of them before they were bored with it?

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I used my SNES classic mini for a few months and then sold it cheap to a friend. He modded it and then loaded it with like every game, and used it for about a month before it went into a cabinet with a bunch of other retro items never to be played again. (He actually plays his Sega and Microsoft old stuff but the Sony and Nintendo stuff just sits there in a nice looking display)

Similar story with the links awakening Game and watch.
I kind of liked the game and watch. It was great, but so limited I couldn't be fucked modding it to put Gameboy and Gameboy color games on it. So I sold it cheap to a friend who modded it and filled it with a bunch of game and watch games.
-Two Interactive.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

I just mainly got mine as neat things for the shelf because I already had a retro pi. The controllers were nice though.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:58 pm He modded it and then loaded it with like every game, and used it for about a month before it went into a cabinet with a bunch of other retro items never to be played again.
That is exactly what I would have done with aswell. The original Xbox is about the only system I actually used quite a bit after modding it. I still say even in 2023 one of the best ways to emulate retro games on a CRT is the original Xbox. Last time I tried to turn mine on it seems the HDD had died :(. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

The rabbit hole of Xbox drive replacements was quite deep and I gave up before I got very far.. too much effort and trial and error and ancient skills needed to make it worthwhile for me personally... It'd be different if I had a strong sense of nostalgia for the Xbox, but it's the console of that generation I've played the least. (Only about 100 games) so unlike with the DC, PS2 and cube there's no rose coloured tint when I look into Xbox stuff.

I'd buy a fully modded/refurbished and ready to go one for about $200, but for that money I'd rather buy DC stuff, or slightly less GameCube stuff... or much, much, much more PS2 stuff.

I'd buy a mini original Xbox if backwards compatibility wasn't so good on 360/one/series but even at 95.6% smaller than the original, it'd still be like a foot wide. Comically large console.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Calavera wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:14 pm How many of these NES and SNES minis do you think are still in use today?
Very few :olol: Although there's still a stuffy sort of people that still think the NES/SNES Mini are the only "authentic" modern way to enjoy either system (outside of the Switch). Those people are scared of ROMs/backups for 30 to 40-year-old games and I think it's funny. They think shelling out cash to a scalper is morally superior, even if Nintendo never gets any money.

Mine are either sitting in a box or sitting on my shelf. I second the quality controllers though, they were the main reason I wanted the systems.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Calavera wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:48 pm The original Xbox is about the only system I actually used quite a bit after modding it. I still say even in 2023 one of the best ways to emulate retro games on a CRT is the original Xbox. Last time I tried to turn mine on it seems the HDD had died :(. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.
What a dream system. A console doesn't need tons of exclusives when you can play a dozen other systems and watch DVD movie rips off of the HDD.
Calavera wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:48 pm Last time I tried to turn mine on it seems the HDD had died :(. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.
Damn, that will be tricky. :ocry: A modchip will probably be the best way to go.

I'm scared that my original Xbox HDD has probably failed too by now.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

pixel wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:36 am
Calavera wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:48 pm Last time I tried to turn mine on it seems the HDD had died :(. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.
Damn, that will be tricky. :ocry: A modchip will probably be the best way to go.

I'm scared that my original Xbox HDD has probably failed too by now.
Good news! I just hooked the Xbox with the "dead" HDD and it booted up! What I need to do now is find out what I need to copy from the drive so it will not be nearly bricked if the drive finally goes. I know there is an eeprom file that needs backed up but I need to look up a guide.

I'll also have to download an FTP program and look up how to connect to the Xbox as it has been quite awhile since I've done that. After backing up the vital files I'd like to just clone the drive to a 120GB SSD I have and use that with a IDE to Sata connector. I've seen people use Sata drives on the Xbox but I'm not sure if an SSD will work or not.