Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sources: Nintendo to launch SNES mini this year

Major factor for NES mini discontinuation.

Nintendo will follow up its smash hit NES microconsole with a mini version of the SNES, sources close to the company have confirmed to Eurogamer.

The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated.

Nintendo's plans for SNES mini are also a major reason why last year's NES mini did not see a reprieve from discontinuation, Eurogamer understands, despite the latter's continued popularity and sell-out status.

Last week, Nintendo explained that it never intended NES mini to be a permanent product. From the company's perspective, the microconsole was planned as a cool novelty item perfect for Christmas 2016, and the numbers in which it was manufactured and shipped were expected to be enough to suit this goal.

But NES mini ended up breaking out to become more popular than anticipated and quickly sold out, leading to a bustling resale market on eBay. NES mini shipments continued into the early part of this year, but its production run could not be extended further - as SNES mini was slated for production instead.

Hopefully, more stock of the SNES mini will be made available to avoid a repeat of the same shortages.

The reality of a SNES mini is certainly exciting - while the NES was unique for being Nintendo's first home console, the SNES arguably boasts the better software line-up, and a catalogue of classics far more advanced than their NES forebears. Compare The Legend of Zelda on NES to A Link to the Past, for example, or Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country.

Other top SNES games from Nintendo include Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart and Super Mario World, as well as Earthbound, Star Fox and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The console also had some of the best RPGs of the era, including Square's Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana.

For the SNES mini, Nintendo is expected to stick with the NES mini's plug-and-play setup, and its array of games which come preinstalled and ready to play.

Nintendo declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer.

Source Eurogamer

Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System thread

Post by Skynet »

This will be an insta preorder for me. I'll get 2 because fuck the last one and never being able to get one.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

EB are still putting the NES up, you just need to know when they are up by looking at OzBargain or Twitter. I clicked on there the other day and some were still available. Or just get one cheap from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302287238791

CHEAP!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:EB are still putting the NES up, you just need to know when they are up by looking at OzBargain or Twitter. I clicked on there the other day and some were still available. Or just get one cheap from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302287238791

CHEAP!
I have a mate who has contacts at EB, so I'll see if he happens to come across any. I do check ozb a fair bit.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Hopefully, more stock of the [insert console] will be made available to avoid a repeat of the same shortages.
You could use this quote with about every physical product Nintendo has sold in the last 10 years. I mean, goddamn, I had extreme difficulty finding a 3DS for my son for Christmas last year and that system is 6 years old. They announced the last set of Smash Bros Amiibos 19 months after the game released, to the point where both the game and the console that plays it have been discontinued. Nintendo's business is centered around sucking at selling popular products.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I hate myself for how much I want to preorder this, based solely on Nintendo's shitty attitude towards customers. (Fuck, they aren't going to release very many, I HAVE TO GET THIS PREORDERED NOW.)

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I wonder if it is going to be the exact same hardware but just in a SNES shell.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera wrote:I wonder if it is going to be the exact same hardware but just in a SNES shell.
It probably will be.

They will add extra security measures to make it harder to hack.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Calavera wrote:I wonder if it is going to be the exact same hardware but just in a SNES shell.
It probably will be.

They will add extra security measures to make it harder to hack.
Hopefully they also take a couple of months to make more than a couple of 1000.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

If Nintendo are smart about this then they would produce a shed load of these and release wave two directly after the scalpers have snapped up all the pre orders. They'd sell about 4M units in a week.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Nintendo SNES Classic Mini revealed, available from 29 Sept

Nintendo has revealed the Classic Mini Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). This compact console will play many of your favourite games from the 16-bit era and it comes with a surprise bonus - Star Fox 2. This game is the sequel to the original Star Fox (originally titled Starwing upon release in Europe) game "that was created during the Super NES era but never released…anywhere!"

The Nintendo Classic Mini SNES is, as you would expect, a small HDMI connected console that comes with a smattering of classic SNES games built-in, a pair of SNES classic controllers, and a USB cable with which to power the console (you must supply your own USB charging plug). It's basically a repeat of the discontinued Classic Mini NES but with your 16-bit Nintendo favourites pre-installed.

The pre-installed games list is all-important as these mini consoles don't sport cartridge slots. So without further ado, here's the list for the European version of the console:

Contra III The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
FINAL FANTASY® III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man™ X
SECRET of MANA®
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter™ II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts™
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!

I'm not sure if the US game list is exactly the same as the EUro one but it seems to be. Whatever the case, Nintendo says the games on these consoles are all NTSC 60Hz versions.

While two controllers are provided in the box, Nintendo says your old Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro accessories can be used if you still have them. Having a pair of controllers in the box is great for all the multiplayer titles.

It didn't take long for hackers to find a way to shovel more games on the NES Classic Mini, so if you are bitterly disappointed by the launch lineup of titles there's some hope you might be able to tweak it, though such a hack would likely invalidate your warranty and various copyright laws so couldn't be recommended.

At an MSRP of $79.99 in the US this is likely to be £79.99 in UK stores unless something drastic happens to the pound, either way, before the end of September.
source

UK version

UK game list (probably exactly the same but my eyes are gone for the day now)
Contra III The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
FINAL FANTASY® III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man™ X
SECRET of MANA®
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter™ II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts™
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!

I expect a STC version will appear with some differant games on it, nice to see them trumpeting Star Fox 2 as 'never released…anywhere!' yeah, except for the internet several years ago, still cant moan as it is rather fun to play

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Now how soon until we can preorder because fuck the numbers released for the NES mini.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Damn you Nintendo! I am so mad right now! Nintendo will likely underproduce them again so they are bound to be near impossible to obtain, gave it standard ports instead of super useful Wiimote connectors, added 9 less games, and priced it $30 more.......but bundled fucking Star Fox 2!

This is such a shit system and yet I want it so bad just for one game.

EDIT: I missed the part where they said Classic controllers work on it. So there is hope that the controllers will hook up to a Wiimote.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

And I just read this little piece of news:

"Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017."

Great, so just like the NES they plan to discontinue it after the holidays. Stupid Nintendo.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Looks like I got internet back on at the right time. Now I've got to preorder it.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Right, so if I'm going in on this, I need someone to help me obtain a UK version. I would rather have that than the US version. Which style did you Aussies get?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

We get the sexy PAL version.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:We get the sexy PAL version.
I prefer the coloured face buttons we get! :D

I've preordered 2. 1 for hacking (assuming hacks come out) and 1 to keep stock. Now if hacking works fine I'll just sell the other.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Saw this on Whirlpool:
I was in JB at lunchtime and the dude there said that they had received 2k pre-orders (this was an hourish ago) and they were getting 10k on day one.