Calavera's Computer Upgrade thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
User avatar
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:41 am

Calavera's Computer Upgrade thread

Postby Calavera » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:06 pm

Times have certainly changed haven't they? In 2000 a 5 year old 1995 computer would have been junk that wouldn't be able to run the latest games. In 2007 a 7 year old 2000 computer would have been laughable. In 2017 is a 5 year old 2012 computer laughable? Certainly not! I am still running the motherboard and processor I got way back in November 2012. The motherboard is a ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77. The CPU is an i5-3570k. I can't remember if I bought the GPU in 2013 or 2014 but it is an R9 290X. The newest game I've played is Just Cause 3, but it runs just fine.

I always figured when I wanted to upgrade the CPU I'd just throw in the best LGA 1155 socket processor there is. That appears to be the i7-3770k. Looking at comparisons between the i5-3570k and the i7-3770k there appears to be very little difference. The main difference I see is 8 threads on the i7 compared to 4 on the i5.

I originally bought the i5-3570k for it's overclock abilities but I kind of goofed the floof when I did that. The CPU apparently overclocks to atleast 4ghz with little effort. The problem is the H77 board I have doesn't support overclocking even though it claims to in the bios. It was a bit annoying when I found that out the hard way 5 years ago but I figured eh it runs everything fine there really isn't a need to overclock it.

Now it is 2017, it still runs almost everything fine but some things could use a little extra oomph from the CPU. That would require a Z77 motherboard. Looking on Ebay's sold listings I see the cheapest they can be had is for around $80-$100. Which imo is still pretty high considering the age of the LGA 1155 but like I said times have changed.

My question to you all is this, do you think it would be worth upgrading the motherboard just to overclock the processor? I'm on a bit of a budget that really doesn't allow upgrading at all! But the most I'd want to spend is $100 for the motherboard, and I could sell my H77 board for probably $40. So that would put me at $60 for the new Z77 motherboard. I'm currently just using the stock cooler but I have a spare Zalman cooler, the same one seen in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1255&p=12981#p12981 in that giant red computer with the Intel brackets. I haven't researched the overclocking abilities deeply but with that cooler I could probably get atleast 4.5ghz which is 1.1ghz over the stock speed.

So what do you say, should I spend $60 and overclock the CPU which should hold me over for a few more years or save up for a whole new system? Which at this point isn't really an option. Or just stick with it at stock speeds?
Image

User avatar
melancholy
Global Mod
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:32 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Calavera's Computer Upgrade thread

Postby melancholy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:02 pm

It's really hard to say no when the cost of entry is so low. One important question: what OS are you running on your setup? Because if you did the free Windows 10 upgrade, that will be gone when you switch boards.

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Calavera's Computer Upgrade thread

Postby Skynet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:37 pm

melancholy wrote:It's really hard to say no when the cost of entry is so low. One important question: what OS are you running on your setup? Because if you did the free Windows 10 upgrade, that will be gone when you switch boards.

I did the free upgrade, deactivated it from my PC, then installed it on a brand new build and it activated just fine. It was installed on my old PC for at least a year prior to deactivation and installation on new PC.

User avatar
melancholy
Global Mod
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:32 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Calavera's Computer Upgrade thread

Postby melancholy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Skynet wrote:
melancholy wrote:It's really hard to say no when the cost of entry is so low. One important question: what OS are you running on your setup? Because if you did the free Windows 10 upgrade, that will be gone when you switch boards.

I did the free upgrade, deactivated it from my PC, then installed it on a brand new build and it activated just fine. It was installed on my old PC for at least a year prior to deactivation and installation on new PC.

Weird. That's not supposed to be how that works. I do know you can still upgrade for free if you download the upgrade utility from Microsoft's accessibility site, but a clean install on a new build shouldn't work.

User avatar
Skynet
Site Admin
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Calavera's Computer Upgrade thread

Postby Skynet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 pm

melancholy wrote:
Skynet wrote:
melancholy wrote:It's really hard to say no when the cost of entry is so low. One important question: what OS are you running on your setup? Because if you did the free Windows 10 upgrade, that will be gone when you switch boards.

I did the free upgrade, deactivated it from my PC, then installed it on a brand new build and it activated just fine. It was installed on my old PC for at least a year prior to deactivation and installation on new PC.

Weird. That's not supposed to be how that works. I do know you can still upgrade for free if you download the upgrade utility from Microsoft's accessibility site, but a clean install on a new build shouldn't work.

Worked perfectly fine. I assume he'll need to deactivate Windows first though, like I did. My Windows wasn't an OEM copy, if that helps.

User avatar
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:41 am

Re: Calavera's Computer Upgrade thread

Postby Calavera » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:05 am

No worries there, I'm running Windows 7. I tried out 10 on a VM awhile back and just didn't see a reason to upgrade.
Image

User avatar
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:41 am

Re: Calavera's Computer Upgrade thread

Postby Calavera » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:42 pm

4 months later I finally found a Z77 motherboard. Picked one up for $82.50 shipped, it was hard to get one for under $100.
Image


Return to “Video Games & Technology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests